Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How to remove oil from combustion chamber?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove oil from combustion chamber?!

1992 Honda Accord EX

Went through and replaced the valve cover and spark plug gaskets because the spark plug tubes were full of oil.

After removing as much oil as I could from the tubes with the plugs installed, which was most of it, I took the plugs out and dried the tubes completely. Although the tops of the plugs were drenched, the igniter's were dry and brown how they should be.

So while I was at it I replaced the spark plugs and plug wires with new units.

Now the car won't start! Firing order is correct. If I try to start it, then take out the plugs, they come up drenched with oil. This leads me to believe that an amount of oil was leaked into the combustion chamber when I removed the plugs with oil still in the spark plug tubes.

So, does anyone have any tricks as to how I can go about evacuating the oil from the combustion chamber?

Any help or input appreciated, thx.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pull out all the plugs. put a towel over your valve cover. turn the motor over for a 30 seconds. take the towel off, and turn it over again. see if anything squirts out. 30 seconds should clear it out mostly
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (welfarepc)

I tried putting paper towels over the spark plug tubes and turning it over but nothing came out onto the towel.

I've also cranked the car over many times.

Most recently I tried spraying starter fluid in the combustion chamber as well as the throttle body, thinking if I could get the car started it would burn the oil out by itself...no luck.

I checked for spark to see if maybe the new cables were bad and that's not the case either.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Was it running before you removed the plugs ?

How much oil did you get into the cylinders ?

I wonder if you could pour some solvent into the cylinders and suck it out with a suction gun. Leave the plugs out over night so the solvent evaporates then try and start it.

If it starts change the oil soon.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1992Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was it running before you removed the plugs ?

How much oil did you get into the cylinders ?

I wonder if you could pour some solvent into the cylinders and suck it out with a suction gun. Leave the plugs out over night so the solvent evaporates then try and start it.

If it starts change the oil soon.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was running, however the car had a stalling issue and was throwing a code 15, Ignition Output Signal. I replaced the cap, rotor, and wires, which is when I discovered the oil in the spark plug tubes.

Today the new distributor came in from Distributor King, which we got to fix the code 15. I also picked up some new spark plugs. I installed everything, reset the computer, and still nothing. I pull the plugs out and they're damp with oil.

I know the car is getting spark, and it's getting fuel. A friend suggested that the car may have lost compression due to the oil in the chamber. I'm going to run a compression test later.

I also just tried disconnecting the fuel pump and turning the engine over a few times in an attempt to 'flush' the system out. I still have to try to start it.

This is getting frustrating
Old 07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't understand how there's so much oil in there that it's fowling the plugs.

Did it used to smoke on start up ? Like the valve seals were leaking ?

If you get good spark, put it back together and have some one spray staring fluid in the TB while your cranking it over.

Once it fires keep it running for a while.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't understand how there's so much oil in there that it's fowling the plugs.

If you get good spark, put it back together and have some one spray staring fluid in the TB while your cranking it over.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Going to try that now.

What I tried yesterday didn't work. Today I checked the main relay just for giggles. All is well in there. Checked out a few grounds as well. Checked voltage at the distributor with the ignition on, it's steady.

The plugs aren't really coming up with much oil anymore after cranking, leading me to believe that most of the oil is out of the chamber or it's settled.

I did a compression check today, it yielded (cyl. 1-4) 155-175-170-175. Not bad.

This thing really has me stumped
Old 07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you could pour gas into the cylinders and let it set over night. The gas will dilute the oil and drain into the oil pan. May be crank it over a few times the next morning before putting the plugs and trying to start it.
I seem to remember old radial engine aircraft would dump gas into the cylinders on shut down in colder areas to lower the viscosity of the oil on start up the next morning. As the engine warmed up the gas would bake out of the oil.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:06 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by pwrofdrm
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't understand how there's so much oil in there that it's fowling the plugs.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Going to try that now.

What I tried yesterday didn't work. Today I checked the main relay just for giggles. All is well in there. Checked out a few grounds as well. Checked voltage at the distributor with the ignition on, it's steady.

The plugs aren't really coming up with much oil anymore after cranking, leading me to believe that most of the oil is out of the chamber or it's settled.

I did a compression check today, it yielded (cyl. 1-4) 155-175-170-175. Not bad.

This thing really has me stumped
could be the piston rings, but if you did a compression check, should of failed that.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 452 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by aray94
could be the piston rings, but if you did a compression check, should of failed that.
Hey buddy, did you notice you replied to a post from 2008?