Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How to improve 4th gen chassis /suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to improve 4th gen chassis /suspension

So far :

-6pt. rollcage
-replaced sunroof for dx/hf plate and strengthened the roof pilar
-upper strut bars r+f
-lower strut bars r+f (connect subframes 'ears')
-bushings
-spax adj. suspension kit
-lightweight 16's with toyo t1's
-proper alignment

coming up: a frame support , chassis welding, rear ITR swaybar

I compared the ITR and CRX chassis and found out that Honda made the Type R chassis stiffer by making the the platework thicker around the coils and wheelarches. They also mounted (U-) bars at the front and rear end and made the roof support thicker. So I decided to do the same on my car. I will weld steel bars in the front and rear end. But the biggest difference is the front crossmember: it is supported by the chassis.

I believe much of the 4th gen handling is compromised because the radius rods are connected to the front crossmember. The rods are quite long and because the front crossmember is not supported enough by the chassis it will endure torsion under hard conditions. Also the fact the radius rods have rubber bushings fitted (No urethane availabe for the EE8/EF8) will add much to the problem. I found out the CRX si crossmember will not fit therefor jimfab's solution will not work. Also this will only prevent the movement of the radius rods and provide caster adjustment but will actually not prevent the torsion of the crossmember.

The 5th+ gen and ITR with their radius rods mounted on the rear crossmember (much like the McPherson's) have a better suspension. Swapping that suspension (LCA) is not an option because I do not know how to bolt the radius rod onto a 4th gen chassis. I've seen ITR suspension swaps onto a 4th gen but no-one could show me clear pictures how to make it solid and how not to compromize the caster.

My thoughts are connecting the front and rear subframe together somehow. But..
Who has done this type of thing? Or knows someone? Or can share their thought?

Perhaps I'm too demanding?
Old 10-14-2003, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to improve 4th gen chassis /suspension (REX VT)

Clearly this is over your heads
Old 10-14-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can probably weld some sort of sub-frame connectors in. fab them your self, it should be pretty easy. we did that on my friend's mustang. and it is definitely not over MY head. lol.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REX VT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clearly this is over your heads </TD></TR></TABLE>

its not that its over our heads, its just illegal for any kind of real racing, so it would just be a road ricer....
Old 10-14-2003, 12:27 PM

what kind of car do you have?..i replaced the stock rubber bushings on my front crossmember/radius rods(crx)with es bushings and it made a big difference,also if you havnt upgraded to aftermarket sway bars,es makes new endlinks and they help too..good luck