Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

hey really big question about B16 casing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey really big question about B16 casing

i have a y1 B16 tranny(cable) it has a little **** crack on it and is it possible that you can weld it the tranny case is aluminum rite???? so would you be able to weld aluminum cause i need my car running real bad got CORRECTIONS to take care of
Old 12-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hey really big question about B16 casing (ImasterMechanic...SkAnKZz)

What caused the crack?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hey really big question about B16 casing (dragline)

To answer your question, you (or someone very skilled in tig welding) can weld the case on the tranny. I got my my tranny case welded TWICE, because of 2 different, ahem, "accidents"...

1st one: GS-R swap came from a totalled car that was smacked on the driverside headlight. That tweaked the frame and ended up breaking the front tranny mount clean off; two sperate pieces. There was about a 3 x 7" hole in the case. I ended up gutting the tranny, taking it over to a welding shop, and 30 minutes later I had a very warm, one-piece tranny case.

2nd one: After buttoning up the tranny after dropping in the LSD, I apperently missed the pocket that the shifter rod was supposed to go into, and when I tighedned everything down, I noticed a 2" diameter broken section; rigt where, you guessed it, the shifter rod went. That one was a big f'up, but tore everything out, and cleaned all the oil off with some brake cleaner and took it to the same guy. 30 minutes later, I was putting my tranny together, the correct way.

If the area is clean, and I mean soak that biotch in cleaners, clean, and the weld is beefy enough, I don't see any problems in welding the case. I got my swap with 100k on the ticker, and I now have over 210k miles, and no problems.

BUT: Heed my warning...if the tranny was exposed to dirt from the crack TAKE EVERYTHING OUT, AND CLEAN IT WITH SOME WD-40 (or similar) AND AN AIR GUN. I tore a couple of my bearing up after a few 1000 miles when the dirt and crap from the open case got in and turned my nice clean bearings into a gravel road.

Sorry for the long reply, hope it helps,
Adrian
Old 12-10-2004, 05:05 PM

Default Re: hey really big question about B16 casing (DOHCsideracing)

thanks to you all for the help i got the tranny on and guess WAT........ my tranny's f'cked damn man my 1st, 2nd, and 5th wont go in