Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

HELP! Want to keep my motor strong!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Want to keep my motor strong!

I own a 2000 Honda Civic Si. I have gotten the oil changed every 3,000 miles and rotated the tires every other oil change. I am now at 30,000 miles and I am wondering about what fluid I should change? Radiator? Tranny Fluid? What about other services like valve adjustments, etc.?

What would you suggest checking/replacing/adjusting on an Si with 30,000 miles?

-ryan
Old 08-01-2001, 09:17 AM
New User

Default Re: HELP! Want to keep my motor strong! (riot)

Backflush the cooling system...
BTW, the owner's manual goes over all the suggested maintenance for the vehicle. Just reduce their interval by half. So if it says to flush the antifreeze once every two years, do it once every one year.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:19 PM

Yeah do the radiator flush, change the tranny fluid with Honda MTL, look at you brake fluid reservoir if its dark then flush the brake system, look at your clutch reservoir if its dark flush that too, change your fuel filter, do the valve adjustment and check your sparkplugs. You might or might not want to change your distributor rotor, depends on you. All of these maintance are very easy and should be done by yourself to save money.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! Want to keep my motor strong! (LostGsr)

Valve Adjustments...do you think I can handle that myself? I am NOT by any means a mechanic, however most of the work on my car I have done myself, so I know a thing or two about it...any tutorials out there for performing the adjustment?

Should all of the fluids be replaced with HONDA fluids or do you suggest changing them up?

-ryan
Old 08-01-2001, 12:43 PM
New User

Yes, use Honda fluids... Honda MTL is "the good ****" and it's about $6 to $8 per quart. For motor oil, use 0W-30... Hondas use VERY tight bearing clearances so the thinner oils will keep the engine healthier in the long run, not to mention free up some power (a little) and economy.

Valve adjustments aren't too difficult. Check the factory service manual. The valve lash specs are printed on the emission control sticker under the hood. All you need to do the job is a 17mm socket to turn the engine over, 10 mm socket (deepwell) to remove the valve cover, 10 mm wrench, flathead screwdriver and feeler gauges to adjust the valves themselves.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! Want to keep my motor strong! (optiontoo)

My hood is bye bye thanks to a **** tard who pulled a u turn in front of me...any idea where else I could find the valve lash specs? My carbon fiber hood doesnt have them on there

-ryan
Old 08-01-2001, 01:54 PM

Valve Adjustment is not that hard at all. Everyone who owns a Acura or Honda should learn how to do this, its standard, like riding a bike or swimming, everyone should know how. Look at this site, the only difference is yor valve lash clearance is different because that is for a Gsr and yours a Si. http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/v...lveadjust.html
Old 08-01-2001, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually just read that on jdmfan.com ...pretty decent tutorial. I'm going to have to give this a try when I get my car out of the shop. Thanks dude, any other suggestions for stuff I can tune up?

BG Syncroshift is the "best" tranny fluid I am told...can anyone verify this?

-ryan
Old 08-01-2001, 04:01 PM

Well everyone have different opinion on what is best for their tranny. Some say Redline is great, after putting that in their clunkyness is gone, some say just use 5-30 motor oil and save yourself some cash, other say BG Syncroshift. In my opinion you can't go wrong with Oem Honda MT Fluid. Many members here tried other kinds of tranny and many of them return back to Honda Fluid.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like I'll be going with Honda fluid then. I dont have my car here (in the shop)...do you know how much I need?

-ryan
Old 08-01-2001, 04:16 PM
New User

1.8 quarts is what it will take to fill your 5-spd. If you pour it really slow, you can usually get pretty close to two full quarts in there.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:37 PM

Default Re: HELP! Want to keep my motor strong! (92CivicSiR)

YOu should adjust the valves every 30k even though honda has changed this to "only when noisy". I would highly recommend changing the clutch fluid. This stuff goes bad fast. We also change the brake fluid during a 30k service. Changing coolant now is overkill- I'd wait at least until 45-60k- Honda has some new coolant that comes premixed that is pretty good- particularly for your waterpump seal. If you are going to do the valve adjustment yourself- you should buy some long straight feeler guages- they work best with the DOHC motors- you will also want a jam nut or valve adjusting tool- this will make life much easier. If I'm not mistaken- I think the Si tranny hold just over 2qts- I could be wrong.