Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

help how to weld diff on b16 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help how to weld diff on b16 tranny

any one know how or link thankls
Old 02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help how to weld diff on b16 tranny (salmeronjs85)

BAHAHAHAHA
Old 02-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, dont do it
Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help how to weld diff on b16 tranny (gibsanez)

gibsanez doesnt know what hes talking about... haha, jk.

but seriously, dont fu*k up your tranny.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:47 PM

Default Re: help how to weld diff on b16 tranny (tnez)

why is that not good explain
Old 02-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: help how to weld diff on b16 tranny (salmeronjs85)

Unless its a drag car, you wont make turns very well, and that stresses the already weak diff side gears and pinion gears. The outside wheel will skip, and stress the weld/gears, so you'll have to burnout to turn, which isn't a problem for some people.... That in itself stresses the diff.

They don't last, you will end up replacing it in short order, if not the whole thing if it explodes and ruins the case.

Poor welds make it happen even faster. Anyway you look at it, prepare for another differential, hopefully of decent quality, if not a different transmission.

Weld the side gears to the pinion gears, take lots of pictures, before it blows up, and after, and post them on here.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:32 AM
Banned

Default Re: help how to weld diff on b16 tranny (slowcivic2k)

Locked differentials are a complete pain to live with. Years ago I owned a little sports car (like a Lotus Super 7) and stupidly (at least ignorantly) decided to weld the differential up (live rear axle). This made the car a demon accelerating from a standing start (two black lines in 1st gear and a good 'chirp' into 2nd gear, the car rocketing away like a very startled cat), but that was the only good thing about it.

At slower speeds the locked rear end literally pushed the front and it understeered badly, even at walking speed (accompanied by uncomfortable jerking as the four tyres all fought against each for longitudinal and lateral traction). Really chuck it into corners and it would steer neutrally if you power slid it, but get it even a little bit wrong at higher speeds and it would snap into vicious oversteer with no warning (spun it more than once).

To say the locked differential made the handling unforgiving would be an understatement (and in the wet it was truly trecherous, a handful even at quite sensible speeds). Having said that, if you drove it like a maniac (in the dry) the handling was really very good, but you had to be really on your toes to catch oversteery moments. At any speeds below 'maniacal' the car was horrible, certainly not a suitable street set up, and it was a great relief when I fitted a proper differential.

I know this was with a RWD car, but I'm sure a FWD would be equally (nearly?) as unpleasant with a locked differential, maybe with understeer being even worse and all / most of the time(?).

PS Just remembered, one day I broke a half shaft (probably due to all the stress and strain created by the locked diff), but the neat thing was that I could still drive it home! You'd be amazed at the weird things a car does with drive to only one rear wheel...
Old 02-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help how to weld diff on b16 tranny (johnlear)

A completely locked diff in a FWD car would be terrible to drive, and I would imagine worse than a locked RWD car, simply because the front wheels are the ones you steer with. I couldn't even imagine being able to drive the thing in a full parking lot.

This has to be the worst idea I've heard in years
Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, bad idea... everytime you turn, one of the wheels will be breaking traction (screachin'), haha. just do what slowcivic2k said, do it, take lots of before and after pictures, then post em up on here... Im sure you will see why LIMITED-slip differentials work better than NON-slip differentials.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks god you live in TX and not around here.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gibsanez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A completely locked diff in a FWD car would be terrible to drive, and I would imagine worse than a locked RWD car, simply because the front wheels are the ones you steer with. I couldn't even imagine being able to drive the thing in a full parking lot.

This has to be the worst idea I've heard in years</TD></TR></TABLE>
At walking speeds my little sports car with the locked diff made ridiculous loud howling tyre noises on smooth concrete. I'm sure it could be heard from one end of an enclosed parking lot to the other.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help how to weld diff on b16 tranny (johnlear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnlear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
At walking speeds my little sports car with the locked diff made ridiculous loud howling tyre noises on smooth concrete. I'm sure it could be heard from one end of an enclosed parking lot to the other. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly what i said would happen...