Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

GS-R civic.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS-R civic.

If possible can someone chime in on what would be an appropriate way to approach this situation listed below.

I know this is an extensive post, but any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Back in March I decided to go B-series and knew of a local shop that had a b18c1 laying around. Up front I paid them $1500, after weeks of calling about when it would be done(6 weeks to be exact) my car was finally ready for pick up. I reach that shop monday morning in May and pay the additional 1500, plus $150 for a clutch that they said it needed. Upon paying that amount a mechanic gave me my keys, however before leaving the shop he said a part in the transmission needed fixing but it would be perfect as is for now (and I needed my car to move out of my dorm room), so I said ok and left. This is where ALL of the problems begin. First off upon checking to ECU because the car seemed funny, they hadn't installed the p72 and had left the old p28 in the car. they said I'd be just fine with the p28. WIthin a week I was back because the car had begun to have a irregular idle, it was fixed and I was on my way. After that, the throttle cable got "stuck" on me about 5 miles from home and it idled @ about 4500rpm till it could get "unstuck."
Next issue, was constant check engine lights that they could provide no answers for, but turn off the car and restart it. After this point I had began calling their shop requesting information on what maintenance was actually done to the engine before if was place in my vehicle, if any at all and to this day I've received NO answer.
After the constant check engine lights and other issues I decided to leave my car at my parents house and use my other means of transportation as well as I had summer ROTC training I was going to. Upon coming back I decided to by a header for the car and upon removal of the heat shield I noticed that the manifold was cracked in half, however I could get n response form this shop regarding the condition of the car. once returning from my summer training I took the car out to subway and was out a gentlemen told me that steam/liquid was coming from my car, I then popped the hood only to find a busted upper radiator hose which they said was due to a faulty fan switch. I believe different because after inquiring on the hoses, they replied that they used the same hoses from my d16z6 which were in fact to long for one and the angle at which that how bent didn't seem to look safe. $225 later I was back on the road. After this incident I hardly drove the car, only going from work back to my dorm which was a total of 2 miles a day. On the day I decided to return home to visit family, I began hearing a whirrling noise sounding like it was coming from the transmission. Upon hearing it, I immediately pulled over and had the car towed home(thank god for unlimited free road-side assit.) I proceeded to call this shop on the following Monday and they notified me that they had no mechanics currently in the shop because they were looking to hire one, this was the excuse for about 2 weeks, then it turned into we just don't have any space available in the shop for repairs. A total of 6 or seven weeks passed and they finally had an availability.
The next week I had called and they said the transmission was not my only problem, I also somehow had a engine knock. He then said it might be covered under the warranty, I said ok. After about two days I called back and he said it would not be covered under the warranty because every time they do a swap they add heat shields to know if the car overheats. My response was, that he already knew it overheated when they supposedly fixed my fan switch. Also, they guy who I always speak with never seems to know anything about what happened when they did the swap and always says "I have to speak with "___" and I'll get back to you in a few hours." However, I never receive a call back.

In the end this guy states I'm going to need a new engine because they're not going to cover it.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: GS-R civic.

I'm sorry to read that.

The shop seems 110% shaddy.

Do you have receipts/warranty/papers for what was done and what was promised ? .

Depending on state/province different rules can apply .
Old 11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Idk but maybe you could call the better business bureau?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Throw the motor through their windows. Hopefully you have receipts so you can sue their dumbass shop.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd have to look for receipts, but I do have statement from using my card to pay for everything.
Originally Posted by DVDr
I'm sorry to read that.

The shop seems 110% shaddy.

Do you have receipts/warranty/papers for what was done and what was promised ? .

Depending on state/province different rules can apply .
Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking of that the other day, thanks.
Originally Posted by collin-eg2
Idk but maybe you could call the better business bureau?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Time for some legal actions Scamming is being cracked down on harder and harder nowadays and w/ reciepts and recorded logs of phone calls with timelines you have a strong case. Be sure to add some extra $$$ to the file for "pain and suffering" and enjoy some free upgrades, or get and ITR swap.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, definitely time to lawyer up. Drop a massive lawsuit on their *** and don't let them get away with trying to screw you. Shoddy shops that do bad work need to be wiped out.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like they have no knowledge of doing Honda engine Swaps. Good luck getting this figured out.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eclectia
Yep, definitely time to lawyer up. Drop a massive lawsuit on their *** and don't let them get away with trying to screw you. Shoddy shops that do bad work need to be wiped out.
If I had the time to get lawyers and go to court I'd definitely do it, but I'm a full-time college student in rotc.