Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Fuel Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Question

I have a b20v, with a b18 head. I plan on running on stock injectors for a while, so I plan on getting an FPR in the meantime.

After doing a lot of reading, I've decided to go with an AEM FPR on a stock fuel rail with a gauge. But there in lies my question:

Whilst reading about wet vrs. dry gauges, I've seen quite often that underhood gauges are frowned upon. Wet, due to their fluctuation in readings as the temperature rises. And dry, due to their susceptibility to damage through vibration.

Can anyone offer some advice and guidance here? I don't have a means of flow testing, so I believe that I'm limited to a gauge.

Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Question

No need for a fpr stock one will do just get it tuned
Old 08-02-2014, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Miguel613ekb18c
No need for a fpr stock one will do just get it tuned
As said, no need for the fpr at this moment, if you really want to do tuning, invest in hondata, than you can tune everything yourself, or take it to a local tuner. Imo I suggest taking it to a tuner and ask him if you can sit with him as he does the work, that way you can learn how to do it yourself.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slynch0210
As said, no need for the fpr at this moment, if you really want to do tuning, invest in hondata, than you can tune everything yourself, or take it to a local tuner. Imo I suggest taking it to a tuner and ask him if you can sit with him as he does the work, that way you can learn how to do it yourself.
Forgive the ignorance, but how do I know what my fuel pressure is at without a gauge?

And I do plan on getting a NepTune RTP package in the next few months.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do u need to know ur fuel pressure, is the motor gonna have 500whp?
Old 08-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sixstroke
Forgive the ignorance, but how do I know what my fuel pressure is at without a gauge?

And I do plan on getting a NepTune RTP package in the next few months.
Sorry, i have been at work....

Stock b16/b18 should be around 39-46 psi, is your vehicle running fine? is so i wouldnt worry about your FP until your ready to tune, if your just building the motor and want to make sure you are getting fuel to the motor than you can do a few things, 1. you can listen to your fuel pump, if its running than your normally getting fuel to the motor. 2 The fastest way to check this (this would be the most dangerous way as well, I wouldnt recommend doing it this way, do not do this while smoking or anything that would cause a spark under the hood) you would locate the fuel filter on your firewall, loosen the bolt on top which would be the fuel line. (do not remove, just loosen) after that you get into your car and turn the key to on, do not start the car, again do not start the car, when you turn the car on, gass will spray from the fuel line for 2-3 seconds than stop. Dont worry about it stopping, it is designed to do so. turn the car off and check for fuel around the filter. if there is fuel than your good, tighten the fuel line. if there is no fuel, than you have a few more things to look at. MFR and the fuel pump. I would strongly suggest not doing this if your motor is running fine seeing there are apparent dangers in doing so. If you just want to check your FP than getting a gauge would be the best way to do it.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and if you trying to decide between wet or dry, wet would be the way to go IMO, you may have a little fluctuation between psi as the engine heats up, but as long as you have that knowledge ahead of time than you are fine.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bit the bullet and bought an AEM FPR and a generic JEG's liquid-filled 60psi gauge.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sixstroke
I bit the bullet and bought an AEM FPR and a generic JEG's liquid-filled 60psi gauge.

Thanks for all the input.
Sounds good