Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

engine building school

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: engine building school (LSVTEC_DC4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSVTEC_DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats insane</TD></TR></TABLE>
And how much does 4 yrs of college cost??I doubled up the couses and was working in 10 months at a shop that worked on Busch and Pro Stock motors.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: engine building school (Ed's Racing Heads)

Ok thats seems like alot but your right, its for a long time and well worth it, but we all cant fork up that much cash...
Old 11-04-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: engine building school (LSVTEC_DC4)

so what should i expect when i leave like how easy is it to get a job in a good place like i dont want to go there and end up at the home town machine shop
Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Re: engine building school (cstay)

Get a degree in business and you will be very marketable then. A degree always helps when looking for a job. I plan on getting my BEE soon, and then maybe throwing down on some sort of auto tech class...I'm in the military and can get all of this paid for though.

PyroProblem-Did you ever go to the Porsche Store in Plano, Texas??? I used to work there as a valet a while back. Hands down the best job I ever had. They even paid me almost more than the military does after almost 3 years (I'm a ******* E-4!!!). Working with Porsche's is hard though. I give you props, because I couldn't have done it (as a mechanic).
Old 11-04-2004, 07:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cstay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what should i expect when i leave like how easy is it to get a job in a good place like i dont want to go there and end up at the home town machine shop</TD></TR></TABLE>
If your a good student and know what your doing and talking about you'll most likely get a very good job.The school is well known in the industry so thats not a problem.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:45 PM

how many weeks would it take to complete all three courses?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:50 PM

I doubled them up and was done in 10 months in 97,they might not have the space to do that though anymore alot of people go there now compared to when me and Localio did.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:53 PM

Dont I know you from such films as 'Keep your eyes clean"You know what I mean
And die grinder bits from hell
Old 11-04-2004, 07:53 PM

would that be tough doubling up?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: engine building school (popnbang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by popnbang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont I know you from such films as 'Keep your eyes clean"You know what I mean
And die grinder bits from hell</TD></TR></TABLE>dude got no clue what you mean,do i know you from somewhere?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cstay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would that be tough doubling up?</TD></TR></TABLE>not at all the classes are only half days each,block class in the morning and head class in the afternoon.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:02 PM

Your I-con? The simpsons? Futurama? Shine it.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:14 PM

Default Re: engine building school (popnbang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by popnbang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your I-con? The simpsons? Futurama? Shine it.</TD></TR></TABLE>OK....you still got me lost as to what your trying to say to me.How bout some full sentences and in an intelliegble manner.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ed’s Racing Heads &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK....you still got me lost as to what your trying to say to me.How bout some full sentences and in an intelliegble manner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, ok back on topic i forgot but what school did you say you went to?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd love to learn how to build a motor. I know I could do it. Unfortunately SAM is not an option for me at this time.
If I just got a book and all the required tools couldn't I teach myself? I fix ac's for a living. The compressors are motors that have one to six cylinders. Recently I've learned how to change heads, gaskets,valves. Changed a piston once. I guess it's a start.
As for my car, I understand the exterior of the motor. But that's done and I'm ready to move on to internals. I'm putting together a poorman's r next year. Goal is 230 whp all motor. I was quoted $5000 to build it. I would like to build this myself, learn something and save some $$.

Can you guys help me get started? For my first motor should I build the poorman's r or get a d-series from the junkyard and practice first?

Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Re: engine building school (eda6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd love to learn how to build a motor. I know I could do it. Unfortunately SAM is not an option for me at this time.
If I just got a book and all the required tools couldn't I teach myself? I fix ac's for a living. The compressors are motors that have one to six cylinders. Recently I've learned how to change heads, gaskets,valves. Changed a piston once. I guess it's a start.
As for my car, I understand the exterior of the motor. But that's done and I'm ready to move on to internals. I'm putting together a poorman's r next year. Goal is 230 whp all motor. I was quoted $5000 to build it. I would like to build this myself, learn something and save some $$.

Can you guys help me get started? For my first motor should I build the poorman's r or get a d-series from the junkyard and practice first?

Sorry for the long post. </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=326
Old 11-04-2004, 08:39 PM

Default Re: engine building school (bomber)

Man I should move to Houston (through my company) and go to SAM Add that to tuning courses and toss in the B.S. in business that I already have and I should be doing ok All I know is that the tech field sucks and even if the pay was good I don't think I would be happy.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd love to learn how to build a motor. I know I could do it. Unfortunately SAM is not an option for me at this time.

Sorry for the long post. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Importbuilders!Their site is http://www.importbuilders.com, talk to jeff hook you up with 230whp or more for 5gs
Old 11-04-2004, 09:15 PM

your kinda missing the point here,anyone can put an engine together,it's knowing why things work together that matters.How many yrs and motors is it going to take to learn what Jud has to tell you.If you don't learn a thing about machinning engines while your there and just pay attention to his engine theory thats worth the price of addmission alone right there.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:15 PM

doesn't uti offer the hot rod class, it says they specialize in tunning engines and building them not just any engine all engines.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: engine building school (SIRef9[831])

No Ive never been to the porsche store in Plano tx. In fact before about 7 months ago, I knew almost nothing about Porsches...
You guys worrying about the cost of tuition,dont worry about it! This country is great about giving grants to those who do well in school or are just not super wealthy...
Theres NO WAY I could afford UTI without student loans.I couldnt get any grants because I made too much as an airplane mech the year before...
As far as UTI vs Wyotech, I cant say much about Wyotech cause I dont know much about it. One thing that UTI does have over them is that car manufacturers hand pick graduates for their own programs.I dont think any other auto tech school does that...
Yes UTI offers a hotrod class but its mainly 350 based. You get to build a chevy 350 and take measurements and learn to use micrometers and bore guages and all that stuff...Theres not really much tuning because they are carbed and are pretty much set up from the previous classes engine...
Old 11-05-2004, 04:08 AM

Default Re: engine building school (PyroProblem)

if u guys want a automotive school take a look at SUNY Canton i go there its a 2 year AAS degree which is more than u get at eather one of those schools. not saying its better caus iv never been to them but i do know that the people here are the best. my teachers are more friends than teachers its the best school enviorment u could imagine.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-06-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: engine building school (doublej)

What I find funny is all of you that are saying that this course is expensive. I mean you will see people spending more that this to go to university to get a degree. To each his/her own. I think if you love what you do and you really want to be the best at what you do... then spend the cash and learn from the best.

Derek
Old 11-06-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: engine building school (derekcarr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by derekcarr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What I find funny is all of you that are saying that this course is expensive. I mean you will see people spending more that this to go to university to get a degree. To each his/her own. I think if you love what you do and you really want to be the best at what you do... then spend the cash and learn from the best.

Derek</TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly

Quick Reply: engine building school