Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Distributor doesnt go in

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Distributor doesnt go in

So I checked my head studs to see if they were still tqed down in speck because i just recently did a head swap. I also did a valve adjustment. So I put it all together and it starts up just fine. But my timing was off when i used the timing light. So i checked my timing on my cams and crank, and it was a tooth off. So I put it perfect and took the slack off the timing belt and tightened it all back up and it started fine again. But once again my timing was a little off, but closer. I knew my timing was perfect. It was DEAD on. So I didnt think it would make a difference but I took off the distributor and turned the teeth 180 and put the distributor back in. What I didnt realize was that it wasnt in all the way. So my gf tried to start the car and i noticed the distributor moving so she turned it off even before the car started. I didnt know what was going on. So I tried to tighten them down again and tried to start it but once again the distributor was moving. So I took it off again and turned the teeth around again and tried to put it in but just wouldnt go in all the way. So I turned it again and it still wouldnt go in. I moved everything around and it just wont go in. I push super hard, but wont go in. I try to tighten them all down all the way and it looked flush, so i figured it was just that ring not going in. So we tried to start it again and my exhaust popped and she turned the key off before it started. I loosened them and it just want in. I dont know what the hell happened. Please I need some ideas before I wake up tomorrow morning to go work on it. PLEASE.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Distributor doesnt go in (jakscivic)

I'm assuming this was the dizzy that ws in your car. What I usually do is look at the slot in the intake cam and try to "preset" my dizzy so I can approximate where the dizzy should line up.

It's either correct the first time, or 180* off...
Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive looked and swaped it around so many times. I put it on one way and it goes in a little. And then i put it in the other way and it goes in more, but not all the way.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jakscivic)

well Im going out to work on my car. more suggestions would be awsome. I really need some help.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I still cant really get it on all the way. I checked my timing and it looked like it jumped. So I readjusted it and tried again. It points towards cylinder 1. So thats good. One way goes in more than the other, so I figure it will fit that one way some how. I also figure my exhaust poping was probably because of my timing be off. So thats good. But my distributor still wont go on with out forcing it on. Like tightening all 3 bolts all the way down for it to sit flush. Before I could just pop it on and it was good. So something isnt right. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

erg. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If i tqed the bolts down and it sits flush do you recomend starting it? Or trying to start it?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

????
Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Distributor doesnt go in

bumping a 4 yr old thread for an answer instead of starting a new thread.