Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

degree of difficulty for replacing ignition coil

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default degree of difficulty for replacing ignition coil

I have either an ignition coil going out or an igniter. I have another igniter, and I know how to change that, but how hard is it to change the coil if it turns out to be that? Anybody give me some insight here? It's a obd0 B16 dizzy if that helps/changes anything.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: degree of difficulty for replacing ignition coil (Hybrid Invasion)

Changing the coil is very easy. Just remove the distributor cap, remove the four screws that hold the coil to the distributor, and unscrew the neg. and positive on the coil. 6 phillips screws total. Couple tips of caution, disconnect your battery before you do anything to the distributor, and be careful not too strip the 2 smaller screws on the coil.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:34 PM
jBj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: degree of difficulty for replacing ignition coil (Redline130)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline130 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Changing the coil is very easy. Just remove the distributor cap, remove the four screws that hold the coil to the distributor, and unscrew the neg. and positive on the coil. 6 phillips screws total. Couple tips of caution, disconnect your battery before you do anything to the distributor, and be careful not too strip the 2 smaller screws on the coil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bumping this dead thread so i dont have to start a new one. My motor died on me the other day and will not start it turns over and has fuel but no spark, its a 95 b18c1.

I just tested my friends b16 dizzy on it and it started fine so I am guessing it is my Coil and/or ignitor. Does anyone have pics or more detailed info/which screws to remove on how to replace it?
Also, should I just buy one from any auto parts store?

Old 02-15-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Re: degree of difficulty for replacing ignition coil (jBj)

yes you should just buy one from an auto store. its going to run you about 75-80 bucks. after taking off the dizzy cap you need to unscrew the bolt that holds on the rotor and then remove the rotor, then take the black plastic cover off, and then you will see two screws holding it on. after taking those out you need to remove the 2 screws holding the wires you will see on. then after taking that off it slides right out. i just replaced mine last sunday and it took me a hole 8 minutes.

if i were you i would swap out the coil and then put everything back together and try to crank it. that way if it doesnt start you know it isnt a coil related problem. then you could go about replacing the ignitor.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:15 PM
jBj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: degree of difficulty for replacing ignition coil (tallyturbo)

Cool thanks alot man. my next task is to get this stubborn rotor off, I removed the screw and it will not budge. I replaced it about 6 months ago, seems like it seized on there.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:26 PM

ya mine still sticks a little bit when i try to take mine off. i just find some way to wiggle and jiggle it off. good luck though and i hope you get it running.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't recommend going to any auto parts store and purchasing a distributor. They are often sub-par. If you're going to replace the ignition coil, and the igniter is just as old, you might want to consider replacing them as a pair. Sometimes, one will take the other with it on it's way out.

You can try Distributor King....but you'll still hear some stories of busted units coming from them.

I don't hear many, if any, horror stories about OEM distributors...
Old 02-16-2006, 05:16 PM
jBj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: degree of difficulty for replacing ignition coil (EE_Chris)

I agree with NOT going to auto part stores for things like these as well, considering I called AutoValue and it was $125 for some crap brand, then I called Honda and an OEM Coil is $114. I got it at wholesale for $95CAD.

Installed it and my car started right up. Very simple install, thanks for the help.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:50 PM

Hi all Im mike and IM new to this forum I just ran into the same problem with my car, My motor died on me the other day and will not start it turns over and has fuel but no spark too . Im checking the ignition coil I already unscrew the bolt that holds on the rotor but I can't remove the rotor . what could it be? any help would be much appreciated

by the way my car is a 95 acura integra if it helps.