Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Click/Clunk sound when throttle opened or closed

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Click/Clunk sound when throttle opened or closed

I'm really stumped on this one. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I did a bunch of engine work on my Teg, including the 360,000 mile timing belt service, plus replaced the oil pan gasket, front main seal, oil pump o-ring, re-sealed oil pump, all the top end gaskets including camshaft seals, and also rebuilt the PS pump with all new o-rings.

After putting the car back together and driving it, I noticed a click/pop or clunking sound usually when reversing out of a parking space, or when driving and opening/closing the throttle suddenly, mainly in 2nd gear. It's not a continuous clicking, but just a single click or pop sound each time the throttle is opened or closed. It sounds like something with the suspension making the noise, or possibly something on the engine touching or hitting something else when the torque load is applied or removed. But I never did any work on the suspension when I did the engine work. I found my front left torque mount was torn, which I replaced, but no change. If I bounce the front suspension up and down with the car parked, there's no noise. I've been all over the top of the engine bay and underneath the car, pushing and pulling on different parts, and I can't find anything with any play that might make that clunk sound.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. I just installed new front sway bar end links a couple of weeks ago, since my old originals were roasted, but once again, no change with that clunk/popping sound.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: Click/Clunk sound when throttle opened or closed

Does the sound correlate with pressing or releasing the clutch pedal?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by muellersfan
Does the sound correlate with pressing or releasing the clutch pedal?
nope. It happens usually when backing out just when the wheels start rolling (pop), or if I'm driving in like 2nd gear and fully open the throttle real fast, making weight shift towards the rear (pop) and then close the throttle real fast making weight shift back forwards (pop). It's got to be related to something moving in the suspension or the engine itself moving. Both front lower torque mounts are new, and the other main engine mounts look fine also.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I asked because I experienced a mysterious clunk sound while accelerating. The problem was eventually solved when I replaced the clutch, release bearing, and shift fork.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I asked because I experienced a mysterious clunk sound while accelerating. The problem was eventually solved when I replaced the clutch, release bearing, and shift fork.
Dunno, my clutch has about 100K on it now, but just normal driving. Nothing crazy.

Also it sounds and feels like it's coming more from the left side of the car, but I'm not sure if it's more towards the front or rear.

It's also odd that I had no such noises before doing that engine work around Thanksgiving, during which time I didn't touch anything on the gearbox or suspension. I just had the front end on jack stands with the left tire off the car for about 4-5 days or so (working slowly haha).

I seem to recall having a similar issue some years ago, but I have searched and searched around on H-T for posts that I've made with words like clunk, popping, click etc. and haven't found anything, which is frustrating. Normally I'm good at remembering stuff but for the life of me I can't remember what the problem was before.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
It's also odd that I had no such noises before doing that engine work around Thanksgiving, during which time I didn't touch anything on the gearbox or suspension. I just had the front end on jack stands with the left tire off the car for about 4-5 days or so (working slowly haha).
The recent work and current clunk noise are probably unrelated. And I do my best work slowly!
Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The recent work and current clunk noise are probably unrelated. And I do my best work slowly!
maybe, but it started the INSTANT I finished that other work. Which makes it even MORE annoying if it's unrelated.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahah HOLY **** I finally figured it out! I accidentally left the big 17mm bolt running through the driver side main engine mount basically hand tight, ever since I changed the timing belt back around Thanksgiving!

Torqued to spec 54 ft-lb and all is quiet once again!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member