Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Cel 16, on and off, causing a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cel 16, on and off, causing a problem

I went to start my car today, and upon startup my car runs really rough. After a few seconds I get a CEL, and its code 16, fuel injection system. It did this for a few starts, so I went under the hood of the car and played around with things, and the only issue I could find was a couple of loose plug wires (still engaging the end of the plug, just not fully).

After I played around under the hood, I started the car and it ran fine until a few moments later when I was going around 60, and it started doing the same thing, just no cel. I shut it down and started again, no luck, shut down again, started again a few moments later, and it was fine till I got home (about 45 minutes). The car did lack power on the way home though, by quite a bit.

A few hours later I get in my car to go to the gf's house, and it does the same thing all over again. Again I fiddle udner the hood, checked the fuel injector connectors, and it started back up and ran fine again. However I did not dare drive it cause I don't want to get stranded in the middle of the night.

Im running a d16y8 with a p28 ecu and a vafc spliced into an obd2-1 harness. I have had major issues with low RPM sputtering which I have been trying to troubleshoot for sometime now. The engine was not the original in the car, the original was a non-vtec, so when I swapped the engine, I swapped the harness. However the sputtering was happening way before that.

This setup has been running good for over 2,000 miles now. The vafc has absolutely no adjustments made to it, it is simply monitoring things at this point.
The engine harness had some soldered connections made, many at the fuel injectors and some where a vafc was spliced into it before.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look at? Im going to switch ecu's tomorrow to the stock obd2 ecu and see if anything is different. At least I will be able to eliminate the ecu and the vafc from the equation. Id love any help anyone can give me!

Chris

Cliffnotes:
CEL 16
No recent changes to engine
problem is intermittent
Old 08-26-2004, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Cel 16, on and off, causing a problem (civic-4-ges)

Swapped the obd2 ecu in, runs fine (lacks power though )

Old 09-02-2004, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Cel 16, on and off, causing a problem (civic-4-ges)

Turned out to be a loose connection to the #3 injector. Took the plugs off at idle, and it was the only one that did not affect idle at all!