Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

A/C Both working and not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Both working and not working

About 8 months ago my A/C appeared to be weak and only working properly at high speed. Reading around I found that the fan wasn’t turning properly and so I replaced it. It seemed to work great, no issues. Then it suddenly stopped working about 2 months ago. I noticed that the fuse (the one that controls the fan next to the radiator fan) had blown, I replaced it and it seemed fine. It blew another time, I replaced it again. Sitting in my driveway I left it on for a while then thinking it was fixed drove down to the end of my street and it stopped working. After many other tests in this fashion I have found that the fuse only blows when the car is in motion. It doesn’t happen immediately but if I leave the A/C on while driving it will almost certainly blow within 30 mins.

Any suggestions as to what the culprit might be and how I might fix it would be greatly appreciated. Having worked on electrical in homes I would assume that the wire controlling the fan has a short that gets agitated while driving thus blowing the fuse. Am I correct in this assumption? Advice from someone with some decent experience with cars would be greatly appreciated so that i don’t feel like I’m just guessing.

Thanks in advance!