Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

bypassing main relay.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypassing main relay.

anyone have a pinout of a main relay on a 90 crx? i wanna bypass it and put it all on switches instead.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you building a full blown race car, or do you just want more switches to impress high schoolers?
Old 12-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: bypassing main relay. (97grnrs)

Not a good idea to do that, IMO. The ECU energizes the relay for about 2 seconds to prime the fuel system when the ignition is first turned on. Then it waits for a signal that the engine is running before energizing the pump again.

In the case of a serious collision, fuel could be pumped out of a break in the system causing a dangerous situation.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: bypassing main relay. (Perfectionist)

some ppl sure give some dumb answers.. and im not concerned about an accident.. i have way more problems to worry about ... everything happens for a reason. if its my time so be it..
Old 12-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I would also like to know b/c I am redoing an OBD1 interior and engine harness to put into a 91 CRX.

My goal is to have one harness... engine sensor plugs on one end and ecu plugs on the other. I know Ill need to wire up power and ground and Ill have ignition, fuel pump, rad fan on a switchbox.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone have a pinout of a main relay on a 90 crx? i wanna bypass it and put it all on switches instead. </TD></TR></TABLE>
They use relays for a purpose. You can not wire a straight switch to it. The idea of a relay is to use a low amp tigger to swtich a high amp curcurt.

But this is the info you need:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not a good idea to do that, IMO. The ECU energizes the relay for about 2 seconds to prime the fuel system when the ignition is first turned on. Then it waits for a signal that the engine is running before energizing the pump again.

In the case of a serious collision, fuel could be pumped out of a break in the system causing a dangerous situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All the add fuel will go back to the tank. He may end up burning his ECU because ECU do not like high amp.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nerdsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess I would also like to know b/c I am redoing an OBD1 interior and engine harness to put into a 91 CRX.

My goal is to have one harness... engine sensor plugs on one end and ecu plugs on the other. I know Ill need to wire up power and ground and Ill have ignition, fuel pump, rad fan on a switchbox.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not use the main relay and add the switches to the curcurt?
Old 12-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bypassing main relay. (Turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
They use relays for a purpose. You can not wire a straight switch to it. The idea of a relay is to use a low amp tigger to swtich a high amp curcurt.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some ppl sure give some dumb answers.. and im not concerned about an accident.. i have way more problems to worry about ... everything happens for a reason. if its my time so be it.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And some people have dumb ideas. It may be YOUR time, but it shouldn't have to be mine because of you.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:39 AM

Default Re: bypassing main relay. (Perfectionist)

I have a switch to bypass the main relay. Found out the hard way that with the main relay removed, I no longer have a rev limit. 8000 on a stock d16a6 is asking to be rebuilt.

I am putting in ZC pistons in this rebuild. And a MSD to control the rev limit
Old 12-27-2006, 01:48 PM

Default Re: bypassing main relay. (canada-civic)

i never knew that before
Old 12-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bypassing main relay. (canada-civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by canada-civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a switch to bypass the main relay. Found out the hard way that with the main relay removed, I no longer have a rev limit. 8000 on a stock d16a6 is asking to be rebuilt.

I am putting in ZC pistons in this rebuild. And a MSD to control the rev limit</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's because the MR also powers the circuit for the injectors. If the ECU can't kill them, there is no fuel cut-off.

To the OP: The function of the MR is very easy to replicate if you look at a wiring diagram. Obviously, there are a lot of drawbacks to doing so. If you are having MR problems, just resolder or replace it and save yourself a whole lot of trouble down the road. But, I suppose you want a bunch of stupid switches on your dash. If so, why not consider switching the headlamps, marker lights, etc, too? That should give you at least ten switches to do that.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:09 PM

this might be a slutty move, but why not just run a 12v wire from the bat to the fuel pump, and wire a relay inbetween?

im pretty sure this is harmless, since ive been running like this for a while. Doing things this way will prevent ESD to the pump due to more efficient circutry, and a more efficient design
Old 12-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this might be a slutty move, but why not just run a 12v wire from the bat to the fuel pump, and wire a relay inbetween?

im pretty sure this is harmless, since ive been running like this for a while. Doing things this way will prevent ESD to the pump due to more efficient circutry, and a more efficient design</TD></TR></TABLE>

And how is this any different from the stock configuration? (B+, relay, pump).
I hope you fused the circuit accordingly. BTW, what is ESD?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: (Perfectionist)

fuel isnt the problem.. i run my walbro pump off 12V already on a switch..i just want the rest on switches also.. and if i had a dash to put switches in maybe id care but i dont.