Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

AWD Honda

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (ickyhonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ickyhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need help! Is there any one that knows of a company that makes a LSD for the front diff on the CRV tranny besides Phantom grip. I was thinking that the stock CRV diff has to be the same as a different more popular honda application. Any knowledge on this would be much apriciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You 100% positive that no B-series trans or H/F series trans LSD will fit?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ickyhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I was thinking that the stock CRV diff has to be the same as a different more popular honda application.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is what I was asking. I would think that honda would just use a diff' from another car to keep production costs down. But if they did, I dont know what it would be from. That is why I was asking if anyone else did know.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I forgot to post the intercooler. It is a build your own intercooler from Turbo Elements using garrett core. It took alot longer than expected to recieve (5 weeks), but the quality of work was well worth the wait.

Name:  AWDCivic178.jpg
Views: 3430
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  AWDCivic177.jpg
Views: 3443
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  AWDCivic179.jpg
Views: 3397
Size:  52.1 KB
Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another AWD honda (ickyhonda)

Rear diff bolted directly to frame? No rubber bushings?
Name:  AWDCivic084.jpg
Views: 3523
Size:  89.1 KB
Old 12-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another AWD honda (IMALLSLO)

Yep! It will be noisy but it's not a street car. B16 (no torque), low compression (even less torque) and a turbo with a large T4 hot side (lots of lag); that alone would make this car miserable to drive on the street. I’m not saying I won’t drive it on the street sometimes, but not on the daily.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You might be able to modify a quaife to fit in the front....IIRC the 2wd diffs have threaded holes on the diff itself, where the 4wd trans have just straight holes drilled and the bolts thread into the drive gear for the transfer case.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ickyhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep! It will be noisy but it's not a street car. B16 (no torque), low compression (even less torque) and a turbo with a large T4 hot side (lots of lag); that alone would make this car miserable to drive on the street. I’m not saying I won’t drive it on the street sometimes, but not on the daily. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not worried about noise. Im just going to go out on a limb and say that mounting it directly like that may cause the aluminum housing to crack under stress. I would have isolated it with some kind of bushing. Just my .02 cents.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another AWD honda (IMALLSLO)

Old 12-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another AWD honda (88ED8)

isnt it a good idea to have a b16? i mean wouldn't the drivetrain be a little weak for that turbo and more torque?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another AWD honda (92civicx)

Most likely. I chose it because it was a sleeved block I had laying around.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM

subscribed

looking pretty sick man, keep it up.

Landon
Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very interesting. subscribed as well!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kalm_traveler)

Wow your crazy keep up the good work
Old 12-22-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: (kalm_traveler)

What made you decide to cut the floor out like that? Would the rear diff not fit under without Cutting it up? The ef bodies fit the Wagovan diffs, did u do that because its an eg or because its a crb diff? Just curious since I am getting the 4wd setup from kyle.eckert tomorrow hopefully if he has time to bring them to me and im planning on putting it all in my eg coupe.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sucks that ya had to rebuild the motor already. Really cool build though. I think the finished product should be pretty awesome. Good luck on it man.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another AWD honda (k24em2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k24em2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might be able to modify a quaife to fit in the front....IIRC the 2wd diffs have threaded holes on the diff itself, where the 4wd trans have just straight holes drilled and the bolts thread into the drive gear for the transfer case.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the bolt pattern is the same but even if you got the both gears on there the offset is different
Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (funksta101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by funksta101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What made you decide to cut the floor out like that? Would the rear diff not fit under without Cutting it up? The ef bodies fit the Wagovan diffs, did u do that because its an eg or because its a crb diff? Just curious since I am getting the 4wd setup from kyle.eckert tomorrow hopefully if he has time to bring them to me and im planning on putting it all in my eg coupe. </TD></TR></TABLE>

For the ride height that i wanted and to actually make the axles line up with the hubs straight, cutting was necessary. if i didn't cut the rear sub' it would have been too forward, if i didn't cut the floor i would not have been able to place the diff high enough. I just got some new rear lca's and my fuel system is coming in tomorrow, that hurt the wallet, $1700.

Picture updates soon....
Old 12-23-2007, 11:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ickyhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For the ride height that i wanted and to actually make the axles line up with the hubs straight, cutting was necessary. if i didn't cut the rear sub' it would have been too forward, if i didn't cut the floor i would not have been able to place the diff high enough. I just got some new rear lca's and my fuel system is coming in tomorrow, that hurt the wallet, $1700.

Picture updates soon.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Makes sense considering the diff sits BELOW the subframe on the crv, cool project, what will you me using the car for? road racing? drag? drift? How much power do you expect that crv diff to handle?
Old 12-23-2007, 11:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ickyhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Picture updates soon.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that does make sense. i just got all my parts today im not going to start on the fab just yet i need to get a set of integra trailing arms with disks before i do anything im going to use those so i can still drive my car for a while while i fab all the mounts and such. its good to have all the main stuff here though and be able to eyeball some things in person and start some real world planning. good luck with your build im subscribed already cant wait for more pictures.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zuum)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zuum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Makes sense considering the diff sits BELOW the subframe on the crv, cool project, what will you me using the car for? road racing? drag? drift? How much power do you expect that crv diff to handle? </TD></TR></TABLE>

All of the above. I didn't create this car to compete in any class. I just wanted a car that was fun. Some people think that winning trophies is fun, I would rather have a car that could do moderately in everything instead of very well in only one thing, I get board real easy and need variety. Since i have not been able to drive it yet, I don't know what is going to break all the time so I don't know what kind of set ups I will have for all three. I will probably end up having different suspension and different diffs, for different characteristics, for each type of racing.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the new lca's.

Name:  AWDCivic015.jpg
Views: 3401
Size:  127.7 KB

Mounted up
Name:  AWDCivic017.jpg
Views: 3439
Size:  59.5 KB

The "Real Mans" efi fuel system, -10 AN from the tank to the rail.
Name:  AWDCivic030.jpg
Views: 3417
Size:  75.5 KB
Old 12-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive got the same LCA's in my 4wd rex they are the shiznit worth the extra coin i also have there camber and toe adjusters as well.

anywho i love how u cut and re-welded your trailing arms was it tuff keeping it all square? I feel sorry for the first evo or sti at a stop light that thinks hes gunna out launch you. i had my 4wd wagon turbo'd last summer a honda with boost and 4wd is awsome u will love it.

as for the lsd question i think its doable i swear i heard of someone making a GSR LSD work but they had to do some drilling or machine work.... ill try to see if i can find it for ya. dont quote me but i also belive in order to get a 50/50 split your gunna have to do something about the viscouse coupler in the CRV rear end.

awsome project check out my 4wd rex im building if u havent already im not shootin for huge numbers im building it for autocross and possibly some road racing.

not to get off subject but i drove an 05 CRV with a 5speed this week i was under it checking out all the newer style suspension how long till we see a K-series AWD conversion folks.....
Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattcivic)

The center diff in the rear housing uses a cluch pack engaged by two oil type pumps ( got the spread sheat from a friend that works for acura). I just removed the pumps and welded pack; ista' locked center diff. Keeping the rear arms square was easy. I cut the metal off the crv rear arms, so i just had the bolt patern for rear hubs. Tacked it flat on the trailing arms and fabed up all the support.When i was done with the supports I gutted the rest of the material from the inside with a torch.

So in this picture you are actually seeing the factory peice of metal from the crv arm that was placed on top of the civic arm.
Name:  AWDcivic004.jpg
Views: 3463
Size:  79.3 KB
Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so is your rear end locked up solid or is it still open?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattcivic)

It is soild. the only open diff is the diff for the front wheels. I want an lsd for the front; I will not have another spool on the front wheels of another car, its scary. If you let go of that steering wheel or have a tire go out, your hitting a wall.

Quick Reply: AWD Honda