Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

06 civic dx window issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 civic dx window issue

alright i'm a very old memeber back in the day i had two different builds one was my 96 ek daily and the other was my stroked, sleeved and completely stupid built ls with a love fab top mount, and 4 inch down pipe on a gt35r turbo yadayada i could go on forever on everything and how much my wife now and fiance then wanted to kill me for the price of it all....well lets say kids came along and i'm going on into my second enlistment into the marine corps and now i have a 06 civic ex i just picked up

I noticed the passenger window didn't work before i bought it whatever, figured honda still had issues with there actuators or motor which both where replaced by the delearship with new honda parts as part of the we owe agreement. Well now the window will go down and up on most occasions with no issues at all, then out of the blue it might not go down, or it goes down and wont go up until i press the button for 10 minutes, it doesn't matter weather i press the master side or the passenger window button either. Any Ideas I already checked for breaks in the wire. I don't think the track is bent, as it goes up and down without kicking it off track? I thought that maybe it could need greasing at the track points but thats just me thinking of what i use to know, anyone have this year model with this incident?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 civic dx window issue

bump if a mod knows a better place to ask this question please move it there, i thought the old tech section would be the best place to ask about this?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump any clues on the issue not getting much from searches unless anyone can give me a better link for one
Old 04-22-2012, 09:36 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most common power window problem after motor is the switch, and even though it will not work from either switch one of the switches may still be bad, the drivers switch supplies the grounds, [ground a rest system] to the pass. door switch and on to the window motor, so if the drivers switch is bad the pass. switch will not work, and if the pass. switch is bad the drivers switch will not work.

Next most common problem is broken wires in the door jamb boots, most commonly in the drivers door boot as it is opened and closed the most.

Unfortunately as with any intermittent problems, testing can only be done when it's not working and the first test to do, when it's not working, is to test for grounds at both the leads going to the window motor, both should test as ground when switch is at rest, [not rocked for up or down], if the grounds are there, test for power and ground when rocking the switch for up and down.

The best way to do that, [power and ground] is to unplug the motor, clip a 12V test light to the two leads, ground to one lead and probe to the other lead, [it makes no diff. which way you do it] turn on the ign. switch and rock the switch for up and down, test light should light up in both directions, if it does the motor is the problem, most common problem is a bad breaker in the motor. if the test light does not light up, then it is either one og the switches or a wiring problem, [door jamb boots. 94
Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks...i checked the passenger door already but i wasn't thinking about the driver side being the ground connection between the two, i'll check the driver side tomorrow. I noticed today that when it does stop that i can't roll it or move it from the driver side but sometimes works on the passenger side most of the time....so I think its narrowing down to either a broken wire on the driver side or a bad master switch on the driver side. but next time it stops i'll prong the positive and negative wires and find the disconnect. The motor on the passenger side is brand new from honda so i will rule out a bad relay on it for now.