Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

PIC, GC or Progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PIC, GC or Progress

I have a 1989 Honda CRX Si that I would like to upgrade my shocks and springs. Currently I am on KYB GR2 and Eibach Prokit that have about 40k miles on them since I got them off another car with unknown miles.
My car has had all suspension bushings replaced with a combination of urethane and rubber, ST Sway bars, 12:1 d16a6 with bolt ons a cam (fuel usage calculates to about 170 crank hp but tuning is still rough with the new cam), Synchrotech transmission with Mfactory LSD and 4.7 final drive, and just put on Konig Dial in 15x7 wheels (11lbs each) with 195/55r15 BFG Sport Comp2 tires. Brakes have also been upgraded with rear discs, and front discs are 10 inch with calipers from a prelude.

I can't decide between the PIC, Koni/GC and Progress CS2.

All have great reviews.
PIC really impressed me after I called and spoke to them, but since I am not a track drive and not likely to be one I think their coilovers might be overkill for me, and i would have to hide money from the wife for a month or two to afford them. Looking at 10k/8k on them.
I had Koni Yellows and neuspeed race springs on a prior car and loved them. I would go with off the shelf yellows and GC coils for this car though.
The progress CS2 have the best price and good reviews as well. Supposedly very well matched valving and offered spring rates. their pricing is also the best allowing me to buy sooner.

Overall i want a very firm to stiff ride, but compliant enough to street drive without kidney pain. I am looking at spring rates of 350lb/in and higher. I am not looking for more than a 1.25 inch drop either. Once I set the height it will remain there. I will also have the car corner balanced at a local race shop. i want total pricing to be no more than $1k plus shipping. I also prefer manufacturers that I can pick up the phone and call if I need to...
Old 03-09-2017, 05:03 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: PIC, GC or Progress

It sounds like the Progress would be the best fit for you.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:22 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough question, as they would all probably work for you.

PIC is a local company for me. I've met the guys and they've sponsored track events I've been to. The only PIC experience I have is with their customer service when I was searching for a part. Unfortunately, their part didn't fit my application...but I was extremely impressed with their level of customer care.

I haven't used progress.

I have used lots of different iterations of Koni/GC. I like them overall...but I realise they come with a couple small disadvantages.

PIC's are full body adjustable...and as long as you're fine with the semi-complex (relatively) task of setting them up...I think for a 1.25" drop on a car that's really fighting for shock travel...maybe the PIC would be most advantageous out of the 3.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:36 AM
RTFM

No matter which setup i end up with I would be doing a basic install myself, and then taking it to a local shop that does suspension 5 days a week and spends the other 2 on the track. I would then leave the settings alone!
I wish there was a clear cut "best" but its so personal and specific to each car...
Old 03-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never dealt with progress. But between pic and koni/ground control I'd go with pic. My experience was my car road smoother, handled better and was more responsive all around in corners. I had the 14k/12k setup so I'm sure the version you're looking into would be a smoother ride too. I just never really cared for the koni/gc setup I had. Maybe that was because I had the pic before hand.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:50 PM
I like to party

Let me start out by saying, I think PIC is the better coilover overall, but it's also twice the price, and quite a bit stiffer, it's really designed for cars that see light track duty, or kids that don't care about their kidneys. I'm not sure OP would be comfortable dailying a 10k/8k setup. Mixed with the fact that the OP says he's not going to lower it very much, I don't see the reason to spend another $400 for the PICs when I think the Progress kit would serve him fine.

Anyway, that was my logic.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was just giving my 2 cents. I've never had or riden in a car with progress Coilovers. I was just a fan of the pic's.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:31 PM
RTFM

I am no kid anymore that's for sure, but since I am not driving the car 300+ miles a week anymore i can go a bit stiffer than I would have a year ago. With the wheels and tires i have, 15x7 konig dial in at 35mm offset with a 3mm spacer behind the front rotors I am not going to mess with rolling fenders, I have already had some light contact under full compression and hitting a larger dip or bump in the road. Plus I feel the CRX already sits low as is, and going a ton lower is just adding risk of damage on the street. Plus with the short wheel base of the crx going low and super stiff lends itself to a choppy ride on the street imo. If I give into pressure from a friend I may do some SCCA solo stuff, and we have talked about driving Deal's Gap this fall as well.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 AM
RTFM

I spoke with PIC a few months ago, and they are definitely track oriented, I was super impressed with their knowledge and willingness to spend time talking to me. Last week I spoke with tech support at Progress and they were also incredible, I think overall they are the best bang for the buck for a entry track car or aggressive street car. The price point of the CS2 and what they can deliver seems to be the best on the market. I have also been exchanging emails with Andy at AMR, and again I am impressed.
Though PIC swears the stiffness of their system is great on the road, even Chicago area roads where they test, I am a bit scared by HOW stiff their springs are.
Progress made their recommendation and it was in line with the range i was expecting, but I no longer have stock top hats so would be needing to get some extra parts before I could install those and that will drive my cost up slightly.
AMR recommended a slightly stiffer setup than Progress (about 10% stiffer), but felt the valving on the shocks would still make it a great match for my car and roads and driving. Though I do not expect to do a ton of adjustment to the suspension once it is on, at least if I DO make the jump to a track I will be able to make adjustments, and with it being a bolt in system I can sell my old suspension off without disassmbling it.

End result is I made payment to AMR last night. I do not think I could have gone wrong with any of them, but Andy really reached out and worked on making the sale. I know their lead time is the longest, but it is made to order. I ended up with 500/400 spring rates (was looking at 450/350 with progress and 10k/8k with PIC) and am now waiting for assembly and delivery. I think one thing that really made me go this way is expected income tax refund coming soon AND this is a 3 paycheck month for me. If the extra money had not come in most likely would be waiting for Progress to deliver instead, but it worked out for me to go a lot higher end than I thought I could and AMR really made good effort to communicate and made me a deal that was the right one at the right time.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:31 PM
I like to party

I don't think you made a mistake, the AMR coilovers are top notch quality, and with a lifetime warranty, there isn't much to complain about once you get over the initial sticker shock.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I assure you, you will be happy you spent the extra money! We will get your setup buttoned up shortly, and you will see our quality first hand as well as experience the performance our product brings. We make the most reliable dampers in the world, and our coilovers will give you peace of mind, and many many years of trouble free use. Thanks for your support!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 AM
RTFM

Well my setup was finished assembling last Thursday and shipped out promptly! Should be here later this week. i am super excited, I just wish they did not appear to be arriving on an in between work day for me. I drive a 911 ambulance and work a 24 hour shift, often not sleeping for over 24 hours so that in between day I am too wiped out to install or really do anything. I guess at most I can open the boxes take pictures and fondle the new coilovers!
Old 04-03-2017, 05:37 PM
RTFM

I received my AMR coilovers last Thursday. I was wiped from a long night at work and had a second work shift on Friday. The weekend was a bust, had family stuff to be done....so i began the install today.

The coils were well packaged and arrived in perfect condition. the adjuster ***** and 2 nuts for the rear lower mounts were bagged nicely, and the wrench was in the box as well. All the adjusters were loosely installed and the top nut on the shock was also finger tight to allow easy adjustment.

I have never installed full coilovers that are like this, I refer to these as real race car ****. Setting preload on the springs was easy enough, but getting the ride height adjusted will take a bit of effort. SInce they use an adjustable lower mount this has me thrown some since it seems trial and error will get me the ride height I want. I am replacing the Eibachs and they sag a lot more (228/174 compared to 500/400 rates).

Even with the stiffer rates I am low enough with my offset that I am making tire to fender contact.

I dd the install with hand tools only, took about 2 hours, I would have used my compressor and air tools but the circuit was also powering a fridge, freezer and electric smoker on a 15 amp breaker...and my compressor pulls 15 amps at start up. In the morning i will jack it up and adjust it higher by about 3/4 an inch, and make an appointment with Track Time Performance for corner balancing.

I took a short test drive and holy crap no body roll, tires are really able to grip even better, ride is not as bad as I expected either. it is stiff and a bit choppy but manageable and in smooth stretches it is really amazing. I am WAY off from optimized with these coilovers, but even as they are I am super pleased. I even have them on full soft until I get the suspension shop on it...

I have to say I feel like I got my money's worth with AMR and cannot wait to really put them to the test.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v4lu3s
I received my AMR coilovers last Thursday. I was wiped from a long night at work and had a second work shift on Friday. The weekend was a bust, had family stuff to be done....so i began the install today.

The coils were well packaged and arrived in perfect condition. the adjuster ***** and 2 nuts for the rear lower mounts were bagged nicely, and the wrench was in the box as well. All the adjusters were loosely installed and the top nut on the shock was also finger tight to allow easy adjustment.

I have never installed full coilovers that are like this, I refer to these as real race car ****. Setting preload on the springs was easy enough, but getting the ride height adjusted will take a bit of effort. SInce they use an adjustable lower mount this has me thrown some since it seems trial and error will get me the ride height I want. I am replacing the Eibachs and they sag a lot more (228/174 compared to 500/400 rates).

Even with the stiffer rates I am low enough with my offset that I am making tire to fender contact.

I dd the install with hand tools only, took about 2 hours, I would have used my compressor and air tools but the circuit was also powering a fridge, freezer and electric smoker on a 15 amp breaker...and my compressor pulls 15 amps at start up. In the morning i will jack it up and adjust it higher by about 3/4 an inch, and make an appointment with Track Time Performance for corner balancing.

I took a short test drive and holy crap no body roll, tires are really able to grip even better, ride is not as bad as I expected either. it is stiff and a bit choppy but manageable and in smooth stretches it is really amazing. I am WAY off from optimized with these coilovers, but even as they are I am super pleased. I even have them on full soft until I get the suspension shop on it...

I have to say I feel like I got my money's worth with AMR and cannot wait to really put them to the test.
you're gonna love them, I have 4 sets on my cars and still love the 1st set as much as the 4th
Old 04-04-2017, 07:36 AM
RTFM

Holy crap these things rock. I need a harness bar and harness now i keep trying to get out of my seat! The cornering is amazing, easily the best handling car I have ever driven...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:02 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts

Nice looking coilovers. Price....not so much.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Nice looking coilovers. Price....not so much.
Really? Aren't they only like $1200-1500?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:06 PM
I like to party

The low end with a discount is around $1000

Mine were $1860 MSRP
Old 04-12-2017, 05:11 AM
RTFM

I thought the price was way more than I was willing to pay but I have to say that even commuting with them has been great, AMR is good about offering discounts from time to time. These are worth every bit of it imo. With sticky tires the control that the car has exceeds my limits, there is a time when you upgrade things to the point where stock seats and belts won't keep you planted enough to control the car effectively. That limit has been way exceeded with the addition of the AMR stuff.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:16 AM

well...seems like money well spent then. For a "road and track" style suspension, $1k-1900 isn't expensive at all.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Regardless of the price, the client is happy with the purchase, and happy he spent the extra money. The past decade we have been doing this we've had a ton of clients who spend more money on our coilovers than their car is worth, and have never regretted doing so. For custom coilovers, and our proven reliability our price is very reasonable...the fact we deliver a solid product, with an outstanding warranty is the only reason why we've successful been doing this a decade. Some people just want to do it right the first time, have some peace of mind, and know that the product is going to last longer than the car, while also knowing that they don't have to worry about what spring rates or valving to run. Plus, people know that our coilovers have the highest resale value....some people see that as also winning in the long run.

Anyways, just to let people know the current discount code, here it is. amrhondatechdiscount
Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 PM
I like to party

Always taking care of us.

Thanks Andy.