Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

ordered to STATE REF. -- any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ordered to STATE REF. -- any advice??

Last night I was pulled over about 2 blocks from my house in Irvine, by the most honda-knowledgeable cop I've ever met. Officer Bak proceeded to tell me he pulled me over for my 3rd brake light being out, my hatch spoiler. He got straight to business and asked if I had a swap and made me pop my hood. I have a swapped jdm b16a still in stock form still running a stock airbox. During inspection he was able to point out everything about my car that only a honda person would know. He even knew it was a jdm motor. In his words "I figured you were swapped right when I saw you" He also told me how he also had an eg w/ fully built ITR swap when he was coming up. He wasn't a dick about it at all, answered all my questions and even recommended me to a shop to check out their swaps and how to get it bar'd.

My date is Sept. 23, so i would like to get things taken care of before then hopefully. What I would like to know is, what will happen to my car if/when it fails the State Ref. examination? Will I be given time to correct the infractions?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ordered to STATE REF. -- any advice??

Damn that sucks
Old 07-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know a guy with a LS swap in his EG. He told me the process of getting bar'd because his is. And it's really easy & free! Just find a location near to you, he said closet one in our area (Corona) was the one by Chaffey College. All you have to do is have all your sensors, stock intake, and no CEL. He said its a visual inspection and they don't truly examine your car like a cop.

Here's a link. Question #3 shows what is needed to get your license.
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/Bar2012...on_Answer.html
Old 07-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was ordered to the state ref in Newport, and I'm not too excited to see if they are going to be friendly about this or not. Thanks for the link!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay. good luck dude.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DOnt worry dude if your motor is all stock like you say it is just make sure all your sensors are there and that your running the right ECU and you will pass no problem you cant have any loose wires of half *** wire jobs stock intake box and stock headers and you will be good
Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if its a jdm motor you cant bar it any more in california come on everyone knows that now and jdmb16 can vouch for my knowing of the law you can have esialy said you dont want to pop your hood for one its not probable cause. its just striaght out he is targeting you. but you can fight a reff unless you have connections with chp. so if its a usdm b16a your all good but if its a jdm b16 not even worth to try
Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^this is false info...there aint no law that says you cant bar a jdm motor in writing...!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

goo to your local bar and let them tell you. try getting a jdm type r reffed. jdm b16 reffed go for it and show me the results
Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well everything is stock but the cop also said that it will most likely not pass the smog test because it's not a usdm motor. I'm calling in on Monday to ask what's the deal and what requirements I need to meet. If the jdm b16 can't be bar'd I'm selling my swap complete and saving for a K and this time bar it immediately so I never have to deal with this again.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck....state ref sucks.

I went once and hope I never have to go back...
Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[/QUOTE]if its a jdm motor you cant bar it any more in california come on everyone knows that now and jdmb16 can vouch for my knowing of the law you can have esialy said you dont want to pop your hood for one its not probable cause. its just striaght out he is targeting you. but you can fight a reff unless you have connections with chp. so if its a usdm b16a your all good but if its a jdm b16 not even worth to try[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by BiG ChOr!Zo
^this is false info...there aint no law that says you cant bar a jdm motor in writing...!!!

HE IS RIGHT! You can not bar JDM mortors
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by udechukwu
Well everything is stock but the cop also said that it will most likely not pass the smog test because it's not a usdm motor. I'm calling in on Monday to ask what's the deal and what requirements I need to meet. If the jdm b16 can't be bar'd I'm selling my swap complete and saving for a K and this time bar it immediately so I never have to deal with this again.
if its a jdm motor you cant bar it any more in california come on everyone knows that now and jdmb16 can vouch for my knowing of the law you can have esialy said you dont want to pop your hood for one its not probable cause. its just striaght out he is targeting you. but you can fight a reff unless you have connections with chp. so if its a usdm b16a your all good but if its a jdm b16 not even worth to try[/QUOTE]

HE IS RIGHT! You can not bar JDM mortors[/QUOTE]

****** ****er thinks i dont know about the law's **** im in a law office all day and at night patroling and pulling people over and state reffing little ricer's everynight. tell me idk about the law's. (but i leave the jdm guys alone) good luck on that k20 bro i know some one that bared it but your dont have to do some extream modifications for it to be bard for one your gona need the rsx gas tank becase it has a return fuel feed line pm me for more info
Old 08-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im still amazed how you guys come up with these fairy tales about how you can't bar a jdm motor...you have failed to provide any knowledgable proof in writing or a link that says you can't bar jdm motors anymore and that they are illegal.

you claim to work in law enforcement but yet are still lazy to supply some sort of evidence to back up your statement...come on now when you get a ticket in your vehicle you are provided with a vehicle code number stating which law you have violated am i not right.

this should be a no brainer and your statement of "go into the ref and ask yourself" is stupid...how about you walk into any local ref station and ask him to provide you with a written document that states you cant bar a jdm motor...i mean he has to follow a rule book correct...you can obviously use a jdm b16a or b18c as a legal jdm replacement motor but yet they are illegal to bar in any other vehicle...???

you seriously need to understand the differenes between engine changes and jdm replacement motors as a start for one so give me a break with your unproven knowledge.

here's a general knowledge link that you can read for one so please old wise one tell me where im going wrong here and where you are so mysteriously right:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

this is also the entire vehicle code guidelines for the state of california...since you claim to know the law about jdm motors you should be able to pull it out of your butt quick and point it out to use in no time:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htmin

this is also the website to the California State Bar which supposibly holds the answer...again the so called law is yet to be found:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/

again these are straight facts...anybody and i mean anybody in here who can provide me along with any other curious minds about the illegality of jdm motor swaps then please entertain use with your stone cold proof...i dont buy into the "well the ref said this and that blah blah blah" without documentation nonsense.

when you walk into a store and the sign says "no shirt, no shoes, no service" clearly you cant violate the policy because its written in stone as a perfect example...show me the sign that says "no jdm motors in the state of california" without the scare tactics...a vouche is meaningless especially on honda-tech...how many people on this damn forum haven't turned into scammers that have good vouches...tom cruise says "show me the money shot".

BiG ChOr!Zo

Last edited by BiG ChOr!Zo; 08-01-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you been to the sate reff station. lately becase i was just there 4 days ago. you can fight it but they can just still come up with something else. did you also know that you cant blue stamp right hand drive cars anymore? its written down nore stated but you take your car there. just gona take it. also all rhd conversion that arent blue tagged now that get reffed for inspection will be taken away due to not haveing a blue stamp. witch are lupools. just re register it to some one else then flip it agin the reff gets canncled out. everyone says you can reff a jdm motor im tell you from personal experince you cant even tho they can pass smog they dont have serial numbers on the motor so can be esialy stolen. there is lupolls. people say you cant register a r34 skyline **** it was not problem for me. you just need lupolls. but im dead reght hoest you cant bar a jdm motor any more. call your self and im more then dam sure there gona tell you
(sorry more the grammer and spelling) useing my phone
Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and the only website that has been updated that you posted was the bar website. the other one has been updated back in october 7 of 2008. this law has been passed 09 bro it also doesnt say in the website that you posted up that motorcylces are smoged exepmt after 2009 all motor cycles are gonna have to be smoged.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this discussion pertains to the legality of jdm engine swaps...where does all this other stuff come into play...if i wanted to learn or drive a rhd car i would apply with the post office...im asking for a califonia legal document that states otherwise to this situation.

you also mentioned "everyone one says that you cant bar a jdm motor" huh im part of everyone and guess what i don't know what the hell you are talking about...as i previously stated "someone please show me the written law that says you cannot bar a jdm motor in the state of california".

you also do know that a previously written law cannot be updated with a new law so the previously law is still in effect no matter what year it was written...this is typical union contract negotiating as a perfect example...show me this so called 2009 law you speak of.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

people previously barred and reffed before the new law or shoudld say advisory has been made or safe. but people still have been ****ed over and still get reffed. this is a type of thing you have to go your self and find out for your self. found some more reading info for you that people that work at reff stations and know and a phone number you can call becase i alredy have called this number. and the number is from people that made the new advisory. http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=38453
Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tell them you dont have money to put the car back to stock or that your going to sell it and pay the fine thats what my homie did like 6 months ago on his turbo hatch he gets poped at least twice a year and he just pays the fine
Old 08-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and im pretty sure harm is right one of my homies try to get a b18c bard on his integra and they told him jdm motors cant be bard due to emission issues
Old 08-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

care to explain why a japanese replacement engine is legal to use and why a japanese engine change is illegal due to emissions...you cant enforce a law that isn't written in the books period...common sense

that link is also referring to specific laws with engine changes in the link i already provided above and the ARB clearly doesn't say anything about a jdm swap being illegal...i sure would like someone to post this memo that was supposably being passed around sometime in 04/2009.

jdm motor swaps are legal as long as you retain the equivilant USDM emissions equipment pertaining to that motor which is the same criteria as for any USDM engine change...that my friends is clearly set in stone.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm
Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for everyones input just wanted to make sure I'm not going to showup tomorrow and have my car taken away.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DO NOT GO TO IRVINE if any lights or no removed plates in a honda you will be pulled over. ive been pulled over twice and 2 of my friends same thing all for no 3rd brake light. they told me mine was flickering on and off when it wasnt even plugged in go figure
Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fix your 3rd brake light then if people check out there cars lights and signals and didnt drive like ******** everywere no one would **** with you....i check my lights like 2 3 x a week just to make sure there all working...if you give them a reason to pull you over of course there gonna try and stack **** on you....
Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 0_civic_4
DO NOT GO TO IRVINE if any lights or no removed plates in a honda you will be pulled over. ive been pulled over twice and 2 of my friends same thing all for no 3rd brake light. they told me mine was flickering on and off when it wasnt even plugged in go figure
I LIVE in Irvine so not much I can do unfortunately, every cop that see's me assumes I'm from out of the area. Young black male driving a dumped 95 hatchy in white suburbia...

Originally Posted by KINGVEM^^ED6
fix your 3rd brake light then if people check out there cars lights and signals and didnt drive like ******** everywere no one would **** with you....i check my lights like 2 3 x a week just to make sure there all working...if you give them a reason to pull you over of course there gonna try and stack **** on you....
I was driving the speed limit minding my own business. He claims he pulled me over for the 3rd brake light, but then he tells me straight to my face that he could tell I had a swap. I'd say thats just me being targeted, not driving like an *******. Of my friends everyone laughs at how slow I drive on the daily and idc. All day people drive by me or around me staring pissed that i'm actually driving the speed limit and not 10-15 over like everyone else. Brake light or not i'm sure I would have been pulled over, saw a young kid in a honda and knew it was an easy go.

Quick Reply: ordered to STATE REF. -- any advice??