Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

Is it ILLEGAL!??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it ILLEGAL!??

My uncle gave me a scanner thats supposed to be used for listening to nascar (Dont know who would want to listen to nascar) but this thing picks up everything and i can hear police and fire and a whole bunch of other crap!! my question is does anyone know if its illegal to have mounted in your car???? it came with mounting hardware and DC cables but could i get in trouble if a cop see's it in my car??? oh and just incase its called
BearTracker TrunkTracker III BCT8
Old 09-21-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Is it ILLEGAL!?? (ThatGreenGsr)

In the state of California it is legal to use a scanner for informational purposes. You can be charged though if using it for illegal purposes. I believe it is illegal in Los Angeles jurisdiction though.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it ILLEGAL!?? (r3vmixman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r3vmixman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the state of California it is legal to use a scanner for informational purposes. You can be charged though if using it for illegal purposes. I believe it is illegal in Los Angeles jurisdiction though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Even if it's illegal in Los Angeles, you would be able to fight that because city ordinances are not allowed to conflict with state law when governing over a specific use or type of thing. So even if you got cited for it, you should be able to fight it on that clause.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it ILLEGAL!?? (r3vmixman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r3vmixman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the state of California it is legal to use a scanner for informational purposes. You can be charged though if using it for illegal purposes. I believe it is illegal in Los Angeles jurisdiction though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so does this mean i can have it as long as im NOT robbing a bank or organizing street races or other illegal crap
Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it ILLEGAL!?? (eramthgin128)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eramthgin128 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Even if it's illegal in Los Angeles, you would be able to fight that because city ordinances are not allowed to conflict with state law when governing over a specific use or type of thing. So even if you got cited for it, you should be able to fight it on that clause. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so if i do get cited it gets overruled because of state law??
Old 09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it should be overruled being that there is already a state law in place regulating the use of these devices. Meaning that the city ordinance further regulating the use of these devices is not allowed. It's called the law of pre-emption; if a state law governs a specific area of conduct, the city is prohibited from governing that same area

Old 09-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thx for all the help im gonna mount this thing for sure now
Old 09-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ThatGreenGsr)

Old 09-22-2008, 12:06 AM

You should be fine as long as you don't interfere,like get on the CH. and say something,but you can go ahead and listen all you want.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThatGreenGsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My uncle gave me a scanner thats supposed to be used for listening to nascar (Dont know who would want to listen to nascar) but this thing picks up everything and i can hear police and fire and a whole bunch of other crap!! my question is does anyone know if its illegal to have mounted in your car???? it came with mounting hardware and DC cables but could i get in trouble if a cop see's it in my car??? oh and just incase its called
BearTracker TrunkTracker III BCT8</TD></TR></TABLE>

to be honest with you, if you have that mounted in any import, its illegal.

if its mounted in a domestic car, 100% legal.

u know how it is
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Is it ILLEGAL!?? (i-VTEC_DOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i-VTEC_DOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

to be honest with you, if you have that mounted in any import, its illegal.

if its mounted in a domestic car, 100% legal.

u know how it is</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha wrong <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eramthgin128 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Even if it's illegal in Los Angeles, you would be able to fight that because city ordinances are not allowed to conflict with state law when governing over a specific use or type of thing. So even if you got cited for it, you should be able to fight it on that clause. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He is right
Old 10-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you can use a scanner all you want. But once you start committing a crime and have the scanner on, its a felony.