Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Solo I Aug 9-10 @ CMP

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solo I Aug 9-10 @ CMP

Anyone planning on running this event? From everything I've heard, you'll get tons of track time.

I've got a couple SCCA friends who are gonna go with me. This will be my first time out on track.

I have a couple questions... They are letting Novice Solo I liscense holders run this event. Which means in order to get this liscense, you don't have to have any prior track experience. But I was wondering if I could go ahead and apply for a full Solo I liscense. What sort of experience do you need to get this? I have been auto-x'ing for a couple years now and have 1 local SM championship. Would they even consider that kind of experience?

Also, I am running an H1 legal civic. Is my only class option SPU when running in SCCA events? stinkin' baby grands

Hunter - who still has a bit of prepping left and is gonna be pressed for time to get it finished due to summa classes
Old 07-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solo I Aug 9-10 @ CMP (Hunter)

sweet, what is the cost?? CMP is only like 2 hrs from me.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solo I Aug 9-10 @ CMP (ITR764)

not sure of the cost yet... i'm still waiting for them to put up the online registration on the CCR website
Old 07-11-2003, 11:31 AM
New User

I'll be down there. We are in the process of getting all of the insurance, supplement rules, contracts, etc...completed. It will be under $200 for the weekend needless to say. Basically if you run 3 SOLO I events and nothing happens and everything goes well, then you can get your full SOLO I license. You don't need any experience as a Novice, but there will be a meeting for Novice drivers each day to give you some highlights. Each day the first session is no times (more than anything just getting use to the car and track). Hope that helps!
Old 07-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solo I Aug 9-10 @ CMP (J28S)

sweet, thanks john. i talked to matt douglas today. him and his gang will be there, so i'll be set up next to them most likely. i'll see ya down there
Old 07-12-2003, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

starnes....where have you been man!?!?!?! we miss you in the HC!!!!

i'm pretty sure i'm gonna try and make this event too!
Old 07-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What are the requirments to run a solo 1 event. I have been doing solo2 for a year or so. What requirements for the car and the driver. Thanks for the help
Old 07-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Greyman09)

you need an approved 4pt roll, SA90 or newer helmet, arm restraints or a window net, a 2.5# fire extinguisher, and single layer suit. Other than that the car tech is very similar to solo2 events. You will also need a medical evaluation.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smokin rubber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smokin rubber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You will also need a medical evaluation. </TD></TR></TABLE>

even for a novice solo I permit? it makes sense, but i thought i read that u only need one for a full solo I liscense somewhere.

Hunter - who might be mistaken

oh yea, the car has to be pretty much set up for W2W racing. 4pt. will do, but don't u also need a battery kill (cuz thats what i've been installing tonite)
Old 07-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont believe the kill switch is required, and the physical is only $50 and you dont have to, uuh, cough.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smokin rubber)

registration is up... cost is only $100 for two day solo I

http://www.ccrscca.org
Old 07-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hunter)

damn, im paying $65 to do the solo 2 for 2 days......
too bad i dont have all the requirments for the solo 1

Karl i need to look into that cage you got..
Old 07-28-2003, 10:14 AM
New User

Default Re: Solo I Aug 9-10 @ CMP (chad)

Chad: I'm around. Just received my walking papers (Doctor allowing me to get into a car again). Woohoo! This will be my first event in a long time...

Go to the http://www.ccrscca.org website to register...everything is online, just mail the form and payment.

Smokinrubber is correct: You need at a minimum an SCCA Approved 4pt roll-bar with a vertical and horizontal bar on the main hoop (new rule). SA-90+ helmet, 5pt or 6pt harness, fire retardent suit (one layer, need nomax underwear), gloves, nomax socks, leather or nomax shoes, arm restraints or window net, blah blah blah

This event is open to Novice Drivers (i.e. no experience). Just complete the forms (if you need more info about this, let me know and I'll put you in contact with the correct person). I believe you don't have to get the medical form until you get the full solo I license.

Do two to three events and you can get your full SOLO I license. Then you can do the Hillclimb next year. The Ultimate rush!!!

Hope that helps!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy crap! that was so much fun. i just got in from unloading everything and eating dinner. i learned so much this weekend thanks to Chad!!! he walked the course w/ me the night before and showed me braking zones and where to turn in, lines, etc.

this was my first time EVER being on track (no hpde's, nothing, besides a ride along w/ matt bookler at VIR, and touring laps at VIR)... i think i was the only fool running street tires (azenis.)

however, i was very pleased with my times and performance. my quickest lap time was only 0.7 seconds slower than the fastest car in my class (SPU.)

i've got some incar footage that i'm waiting to get back from my friend, so i'll get that up asap and let u guys take a look at it and tell me what u think. i would appreciate any and all kinds of feedback.

Hunter - who loves hitting the aligator strips
Old 08-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Rather OG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hunter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hunter - who loves hitting the aligator strips </TD></TR></TABLE>

Welcome to the addiction

Glad to hear you had fun! Be prepared to starve and catch your own food from now on!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice job out there Hunter! You guys looked like you had a lot of fun.

What by the way was Chad flat footing? There was mention at the awards that he was the only driver to flat foot "x" all weekend?? It got a rouse from the remaining crowd. Always good meeting new folks and seeing familiar faces (not under duress I might add ).
Old 08-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solo I Aug 9-10 @ CMP (phat-S)

Jason, i'm definitly addicted! i went to talk to steve tompkins (the SE solo I head guy) before my last run today to ask if i could get him to sign me off for a full solo I liscence (usually takes 3 solo I events for this.) he said he had been watching me, asked if i had done any sort of racing before, then said he would most definitly sign me off. that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Phat-S, i'm not sure what part chad was flat footing. i guess we should have stayed around for the awards. but i was happy with my last run, and it started to rain, so we decieded to call it a day.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Solo I Aug 9-10 @ CMP (phat-S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phat-S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice job out there Hunter! You guys looked like you had a lot of fun.

What by the way was Chad flat footing? There was mention at the awards that he was the only driver to flat foot "x" all weekend?? It got a rouse from the remaining crowd. Always good meeting new folks and seeing familiar faces (not under duress I might add ).</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was flat footing coming out of pit out....that was the only place....hmmmm...interesting.....i guess we should have stuck around for the awards but riding home on victor racers in the rain....hmmm...wanted to give myself lots of time....

hUnter great job out there....

adam good talking with joo....was a fun weekend