Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads

I did a search and it seems like the consensus is that Hawks, EBC and Axis makes great pads. However, if I want to pads specifically for solo2 which ones would be a better choice to go with, the green stuff or the HPS/HP+? I want something that won't kill my rotors and limited brake dust will be nice.

Thanx
Old 07-08-2003, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (SuperRice)

EBC DOESNT make good pads, espeically green stuff.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EBC DOESNT make good pads, espeically green stuff.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What (re)search did you do? I highly doubt if you looked in this forum you would have found favorable reviews of the EBC. For autocross only, if you are concerned about dust and rotor wear, stick with the OEM pads. Excellent for that application.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:13 AM
.RJ

The best autocross pads i've used are Carbotech Kelate Metallic (green) and Hawk HP+. You wont find anything better. Oh yeah, EBC sucks ***.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (.RJ)

I recently bought the HP+ and so far I love them. Brake dust is not that bad, not sure if it'll get worse or not, but I have no complaints, stops on a dime.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:58 AM

Avoid EBC like the plague.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:27 AM

I'll echo everything everyone else has been saying...

EBC = (I prefere stock pads over them)
HAWK HP+ = (Great pad as long as you don't mind dust and noice)

Old 07-08-2003, 07:20 AM
Neo

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (tunes12)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tunes12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recently bought the HP+ and so far I love them. Brake dust is not that bad, not sure if it'll get worse or not, but I have no complaints, stops on a dime. </TD></TR></TABLE>

HP+s are a terrific dual purpose street/auto-x pad -- been using mine for nearly 2 years now. Don't know how you get yours not to dust that bad, because mine are some seriously dusty SOBs.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS </TD></TR></TABLE>
Analagous to the "Jimmy vs. Timmy" South Park episode.

"CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!"
Old 07-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (MaddMatt)

I had the EBC Green Stuff and they sucked for me too. Glazed the pads in 3 months with only 6 autocrosses. I have the Hawk HPS and HP+ and they are by far one of the best pads I've had. AEMs were ok for autocross and daily driving. The Hawk HP+ of course dust alot
Old 07-08-2003, 09:54 AM

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (CivicSiRacer)

hm..... okay, maybe it wasn't this forum that I heard that the EBC were good then. Okay, it seems like the HP+ are the way to go. However, one of my concern is will the HP+ be bad in the cold? I live in Canada and as most of you know it's F&*^%% cold up here in the winter. I don't want any stopping problems when it's -30 degrees celcius out.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP+ are not great daily brake pads. They dust alot, wear out brake rotors quicker, and the pads themselves wear out quick. And the brake dust eats away at your wheels if you don't clean them.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HP+ are not great daily brake pads. They dust alot, wear out brake rotors quicker, and the pads themselves wear out quick. And the brake dust eats away at your wheels if you don't clean them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aside from those points... they work very well in all temperature ranges I've used them in. I run them in the winter and have had 0 problems with them. They do wear out faster then stock, that I'll admit. They should last longer then the EBCs though. When I had the EBCs, I went through them in about 3.5 months (10k miles and about 10 autocrosses). I'm finally ready to replace the front HP+ after about 13 months (25k miles and loads of autocrosses). Keeping the wheels clean is a small price to pay for these pads, in my ever so humble opinion.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:35 PM

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (Watkinsm3)

GT Sports from Cobalt work great on the Autocross course for me.

Just another option.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (Eee Pee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eee Pee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GT Sports from Cobalt work great on the Autocross course for me.

Just another option.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of temp range are we talking about for this pad? Dust, noise, linear feel etc?

I've thought about getting a set for the front when I toast my Axxis Ultimates. Can't find too much info on Cobalt's site, and don't think Andie needs to be bugged with my currently whimsical ideas about which brake pads to get months down the road.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (Def)

Here's what Andie said (from another thread) about the Ferodo DS2500 vs Axxis Ultimate vs his own Cobalt GT-Sport compound:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Ferodo DS2500 is an excellent high-performance compound, even when used in cold weather. The Axxis Ultimate and Cobalt GT-Sport are other compounds in this same performance category. Among these three compounds, the Ferodo DS2500 has the best on-street performance, especially in colder weather. While all three of these compounds operate best with over 100F in the compound, in winter type weather (I'm originally from Michigan, so i'm thinking of ambient temperatures of 20-30F), the Ferodo DS2500 will operate better than the Axxis Ultimate or the Cobalt GT-Sport for street driving. I feel the Ferodo DS2500 operates better due to its high brass content, which provides better heat uniformity, especially in cold weather. This being said, in cold weather, the OE-Honda compound will be the best choice.

For daily driving on the S2000, I use the Ferodo DS2500 in the front, and the Axxis Ultimate in the rear. I occasionally swap other compounds into this vehicle for testing, but for every day driving, the Ferodo DS2500 is my first choice for high-performance street driving on the S2000. For other vehicles with smaller rotor and pad configurations (e.g. Honda Civic), the Axxis Ultimate is a better solution.

-Andie</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (stealthx32)

i use HPS.....don't fade like stock pads do, mild dusting, no squeeking, and i take them out in the winter. of course, i'm talking about Solo I type stuff on a 2800lb Nissan.........but still, brakes are brakes. (:::in conan voice::: or are they? )

never really heard much of ANYTHING negative about ANY pad hawk makes.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:35 PM

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (tnord)

thanx alot everyone for your help. I think I'm gonna go with the Hawks over the EBC.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HP+ are not great daily brake pads. They dust alot, wear out brake rotors quicker, and the pads themselves wear out quick. And the brake dust eats away at your wheels if you don't clean them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm....I've been using the same set of HP+ for at least 2 years now. They do dust like crazy, but haven't had any problem with them eating the finish on my BBS wheels. I certainly don't have time to wash my wheels nearly as often as I'd like either, so they often look gunmetal colored. When I do clean them, however, I use Mother's polish which leaves a wax coating on them, so maybe that helps keep them from corrosion.

The HP+ does squeek at low speeds and when at higher temps. Not really a big deal, just add it to all the other noise the car makes. I have had people tell me that I need to replace my brakes based on the noise, they don't understand that there's nothing wrong with them.

Anyway, definately forget about EBC anything. Used to have the Green Stuff too, and they sucked with all the same points already mentioned.

I use the HP+ year round with no problems in winter. I live in almost as cold as Canada Wisconsin. The only problem I usually have is that I'm able to lock up my snow tires way too easily with them.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (Def)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Def &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of temp range are we talking about for this pad? Dust, noise, linear feel etc?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I do ride the brake up to the start, they are quite dusty, and have a satisfactory feel.
I run with a lightweight hatch, big Hoosier slicks, and keep it floored.
Never ran out of brakes yet.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (Eee Pee)

Yeah the HP+ is the way to go with your choices... but it isn't really Rotor Friendly.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (Fuuma0083)

I am going to go against the grain here and say that this Spring I bought my second set of EBC Greenstuff pads for the '89 CRX -ZC car because I was very happy with the first set. I have the '90-93 Integra front brake upgrade and the car did daily driver use for two years full years (about 25K miles) and used them pretty hard on three or four lapping weekends and maybe two local autocrosses. They were not what I would call dusty and I replaced them because they only had about 1/3 lining left and I was preparing for a track weekend.

I have not tried the HP+ ever but I did have the Hawk Blacks which might likely have been their predecessor in about '96 or so and they were the dustiest pads I have ever seen requiring wheel washing every few days. Just thought you might want an opinion from the other side of the street. Not taking away from the other comments, just my experience hasn't been negative at all.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:20 PM

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (CRX Lee)

I haven't tried the HP+ or the green stuff, but...

I have been using Porterfield R4-S for street/autocross and occasional track days. To work in the morning they require maybe one stop or drag to get them to a good operating temperature. I just plan to stop early for that first stop sign at the end of the block. The dust is about the same as with OEM, and they work well for track days.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff vs Hawks HPS brake pads (emwavey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emwavey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have been using Porterfield R4-S for street/autocross and occasional track days.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had good luck with one set of R4S, but they're pricey. Now I'm having good luck with Axxis Ultimates, 1 track day and 1 autoX practice. Next will be a more dedicated track pad, probably the Carbotech P+.