Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint issues

Hello fellow HT members I have a question/concern regarding the paint on my eg hatch. I bought it 2 month ago and it was in decent condition i'd say exterior (8/10) but for some reason the paints are starting to come off/ I would find multiple paint cracks on the car. when i first got it there was a little rim of crack of paint at the rear bumper of the car, but recently the crack spread and I've seen major paint chipping and the rim of crack widen across the rear bump. There have also been crack lines appearing at multiple places of the car. Is there any advice as to how i can prevent the paint chipping/cracking from getting worst or prevent it from spreading? Also how much would it be to just get the rear bumper repainted (just minor touch up) or simply get a fresh coat of paint (FOR CHEAP)?. In terms of caring for the car I've been cleaning/washing maybe every two-three weeks just minor rinsing with occasional soaping (car wash) added. I rarely drive it out of the 2 month that I've had it I didn't even put 200 miles on it. Am i doing something wrong? did i give it too much cleaning? help me out i just want to keep my car clean, it hurts me to see it the way it is now =(
Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: paint issues

Originally Posted by r3nG
Hello fellow HT members I have a question/concern regarding the paint on my eg hatch. I bought it 2 month ago and it was in decent condition i'd say exterior (8/10) but for some reason the paints are starting to come off/ I would find multiple paint cracks on the car. when i first got it there was a little rim of crack of paint at the rear bumper of the car, but recently the crack spread and I've seen major paint chipping and the rim of crack widen across the rear bump. There have also been crack lines appearing at multiple places of the car. Is there any advice as to how i can prevent the paint chipping/cracking from getting worst or prevent it from spreading? Also how much would it be to just get the rear bumper repainted (just minor touch up) or simply get a fresh coat of paint (FOR CHEAP)?. In terms of caring for the car I've been cleaning/washing maybe every two-three weeks just minor rinsing with occasional soaping (car wash) added. I rarely drive it out of the 2 month that I've had it I didn't even put 200 miles on it. Am i doing something wrong? did i give it too much cleaning? help me out i just want to keep my car clean, it hurts me to see it the way it is now =(
Sounds like it has a cheap paint job already. Any decent paint will start around 1200-1500. But u get what u pay for.It sounds like they didnt put the flex additive to the paint before they sprayed the bumper.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know on my car the guy who owned it before got a maaco single stage and didn't remove the moldings or anything +how lazy can yhou be+ and the paint is chipping off because moisture got under it.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably not much you can do other than respray the car.