Wheel and Tire

How Old Are Your Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Old Are Your Tires?

i copied the whole this from a group i just made in facebook.
How old are ur tires?
my front ones were made in 33rd week of 2007 and rear ones were made in 52nd week of 2003.

this one is from another car. made in 22nd week of 2006

I was watching news after dinner and i happened to watch this short documentary about old tires being sold in the United States and becoming one of the causes of accidents.
This show showed how to find out when the tires were made and i'd like to share it for those who do no know how.
So here is how.
If u look at side wall of your tires there are bunch of numbers and codes.
skipping other codes and tire size spec., you'll see 3 or 4 digit numbers.
For instance, it could be 239, 136, 427, 5207, 3306, 1601 and etc.
These numbers might sound completely random but they have the manufacture year and which week of the year the tire was made in.
239 = 23th week of 1999
136 = 13th week of 1996
427 = 42nd week of 1997
5207 = 52nd week of 2007
3306 = 33rd week of 2006
1601 = 16th week o 2001
Do you get it?
first 2 digits show which week, last 1 or 2 digit digits show which year.
Why is this important to know?
Depending on environment the tires are in, they dry in several years.
Commonly 6-7 year old tires are ready to be disposed but some or many of dishonest tire manufacturers put new treads and sell them as new.
Customers who are aware of the secret hidden behind the code would buy 5, 10 year old or even older tires as they were to be new ones.
I was also one of them until today, the 9th of May in 2008.
What happens to those old tires with new treads?
The documentary also showed a couple of footages demonstrating how dangerous they could be.
As the test cars were cruising around 70, the tires' treads peeled off and it seemed like the tires exploded. Even though the driver with a helmet on knew that was gonna happen but he went, "S###!!!!"
So here is what I'd like u to do. Please Invite everyone you know to spread this information. This is for your own safety, and ultimately this could reduce the number of accidents.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:09 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How Old Are Your Tires? (fastshift)

This is all well-known, and old stuff to anyone who has poked around the Tire Rack website, where you can find the same information in their Tire Tech sections:

Determining the Age of a Tire
Tire Aging

The latter section states:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tire Rack website &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Our experience has been that when properly cared for, most street tires have a useful life of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Old Are Your Tires? (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is all well-known, and old stuff to anyone who has poked around the Tire Rack website, where you can find the same information in their Tire Tech sections:

Determining the Age of a Tire
Tire Aging

</TD></TR></TABLE>

o.. didn't know about that site... i personlly didn't know about it and it was new to me so i though i'd share it. thanks for the info!
Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine says "1107" so I'm guessing it's the middle of march of last year?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Old Are Your Tires? (randomtask77)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by randomtask77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine says "1107" so I'm guessing it's the middle of march of last year?</TD></TR></TABLE>

sound about right.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Shenanigans

wohoo everyone read your dot number
Old 05-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How Old Are Your Tires? (H22Ej1)

The daily I bought is rockin proxie FZ24's lol

0299 antiques!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Shenanigans

Default Re: How Old Are Your Tires? (Scotty Dosent Know)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scotty Dosent Know &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The daily I bought is rockin proxie FZ24's lol

0299 antiques! </TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong the dot would be 029 then you should be looking at the 3rd set of digits (on most tires) it would look like a7c2 ckd 0108 or in your case 029 in place of 0108
Old 05-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everyday... since i work at Discount tire co. i show customers with old tires i cant work on their tires... and they get pissed... they tell me that there's plenty of tread, but i cant let their ignorance hurt a fellow employee.. the oldes ive seen a tire and have no dry rot is a tire from 1975. and stilll mint cond. but it's been in a temp. controlled enviroment. and DTC & ATC all state if a tire is older than 6 years. we wont serive it... but good news to state to ppl... maybe itll get some pl to buy some newer tires...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (burke420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by burke420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everyday... since i work at Discount tire co. i show customers with old tires i cant work on their tires... and they get pissed... they tell me that there's plenty of tread, but i cant let their ignorance hurt a fellow employee.. the oldes ive seen a tire and have no dry rot is a tire from 1975. and stilll mint cond. but it's been in a temp. controlled enviroment. and DTC & ATC all state if a tire is older than 6 years. we wont serive it... but good news to state to ppl... maybe itll get some pl to buy some newer tires...</TD></TR></TABLE>

1975???? thats real old man....
Old 05-15-2008, 03:21 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (fastshift)

I am a Bridgestone dealer( the #1 tire manufacturer in the world ) and they're waranty runs out 3 years date of purchase or 4 years date of manufacture, no matter how many miles you have on them, so if you have 5 year old tires like OP you need to get new ones... or expect them to separate.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:29 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (PI$TOL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PI$TOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I am a Bridgestone dealer( the #1 tire manufacturer in the world ) and they're waranty runs out 3 years date of purchase or 4 years date of manufacture, no matter how many miles you have on them, so if you have 5 year old tires like OP you need to get new ones... or expect them to separate.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I were a tire dealer and you were my employee, I would fire you trying to con customers into buying tires before they need to by spreading false information. (But I'm sure there are some dealers who like it when their employees con their customers with phony information.)

Just because a tire is no longer under warranty, does not mean it must be replaced. As noted on the Tire Rack website, tires properly cared for (and without obvious problems such as cracking etc) can last anywhere from six to ten years, and will NOT separate during that time.

Just one more employee in the tire business who doesn't know what he's talking about. It's unfortunately all too common.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

do japanese tires have this?

cant seem to find the number on my set of Yokohama, DNA GP.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do japanese tires have this?

cant seem to find the number on my set of Yokohama, DNA GP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my rear tires are Yokohama's and i found them
Old 05-17-2008, 03:35 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do japanese tires have this?

cant seem to find the number on my set of Yokohama, DNA GP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All tires sold in the United States have them, regardless of where they were manufactured. It's part of the federal government requirements.

Sometimes the four-digit number is the end of a long string of other characters, as noted in the Tire Rack write-up, rather than being in a separate oval "window" stamped on the tire. Also, it only needs to be stamped on one place on the tire, so if you're looking at tires that are on your car, you may need to remove the wheel in case it's stamped on the inside sidewall that you can't see when it's mounted on the car.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Shenanigans

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PI$TOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I am a Bridgestone dealer( the #1 tire manufacturer in the world ) and they're waranty runs out 3 years date of purchase or 4 years date of manufacture, no matter how many miles you have on them, so if you have 5 year old tires like OP you need to get new ones... or expect them to separate.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow...i work for bridgestone/firestone as well and thats bs
Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 AM

this really worries me now. 20/20 or dateline just recently air a episode about this. theres lots of tire shops in the nation that are selling 6 year and old tires to customers. that crazy. now im really going to check all my tire production date. this is good information to all members on this forum and others. tires are the most important thing on the car.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If I were a tire dealer and you were my employee, I would fire you trying to con customers into buying tires before they need to by spreading false information. (But I'm sure there are some dealers who like it when their employees con their customers with phony information.)

Just because a tire is no longer under warranty, does not mean it must be replaced. As noted on the Tire Rack website, tires properly cared for (and without obvious problems such as cracking etc) can last anywhere from six to ten years, and will NOT separate during that time.

Just one more employee in the tire business who doesn't know what he's talking about. It's unfortunately all too common.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow...i work for bridgestone/firestone as well and thats bs </TD></TR></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is not false, if your tire is out of waranty you will not be able to get it adjusted, yes you can prolong the condition by taking good care of your tires, and most of my customers wear their tires out before the warranty is up, and the ones that don't are usually the people with separated tires on occasion. ie: old people who don't drive much and their car sits alot.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hksricerxp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this really worries me now. 20/20 or dateline just recently air a episode about this. theres lots of tire shops in the nation that are selling 6 year and old tires to customers. that crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's true. When you buy tires from a tire dealer, they should be reasonably new, manufactured within the previous twelve months or so.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PI$TOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is not false</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's false to claim that 5-year-old tires need to be replaced. It's false to claim that 5-year-old tires will separate. This assumes they're in reasonably good condition, no obvious cracking, etc.