Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

tire wear and tear

Old 08-21-2006, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire wear and tear

i bought tires 2 years ago and the steel belts are already wearing through 2 of them. i know i didnt put more than 30,000 miles on because i lost my license for 6 of those months......anyone have any suggestions on what kind of tires i should get. oh ya ever since i put these tires on my car is really loud, there is the worst hum.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tire wear and tear (IsweatHONDA)

Well, its hard to answer your question without really knowing what tires you bought last, and what your driving habits are. Both will determine what type tire life you will get. I once made the big mistake of buying a bargain priced set of tires from Pep Boys. I had no choice as I had just move to the northeast from the south and had very low treads and winter was approaching. I was also between jobs. But those Pop Boys tires were horrible. Three of them were flat the next morning when I went to my car. They always felt like I was driving on wet sponges, very wishey washey. They were SO loud I was shocked. They also wore unevenly and quickly for 65/K tires. I had to replace them after only running on them for about 30/K miles, and glady did so. Honda used Michelins on the car from the factory and thats what I went back to. I got a deal on good 60/K mile Michelins at a Warehouse Club store and the difference was immediate. They were quiet, the car handled so much better, and they actually lasted me nearly 60/K miles. So I'd shop for a good deal on a good brand and stay away from cheapie brands and exotic brands that will give you no beter tread life but take your money quicker.

With tires you also have to maintain them, make sure you rotate them on the recommended schedule, and keep the inflation pressure within recommended limts or the tires will wear prematurely and unevenly. Also, you need to monitor your driving habits. Watch the speed while cornering, that will wear those tires down quickly doing corners too fast and scuffing the tires to death.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:27 AM

hey thanks a lot....that was a big help, what do you think about bf goodrich??
Old 08-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IsweatHONDA)

GoodRich and GoodYear are both good brands. I usually trust Honda, and look for what they put on their cars from the factory. If its good enough for them, its good enough for me. I know they sent many Accords out with Michelins so I trust them even though they are FRENCH! Check around and see what the new Hondas are wearing at your local dealers and in parking lots. My CRV uses Bridgestones, and they are OK tires, but I may look for Michelins when I replace them if I can get a deal on them. L8R
Old 08-22-2006, 06:08 AM

Default Re: (Hondaman56)

i would not go buy what a car company puts on their car stock as a guide for buying quality tires. honda wants to save money when they choose what tires will be mass distributed(10 cents saved per car equals millions of dollars). my car came with goodyear tires and they are ****
Old 08-22-2006, 09:13 AM

If you haven't done so recently, I would also get an alignment when you purchase new tires.