Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

carbon wheels destroyed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon wheels destroyed!

http://www.southbayriders.com/...10677 OUCH!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ouch is right
Old 01-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: (gots_a_sol)

It seems like it wouldn't just shatter for no reason. I'm thinking a lateral strike would be needed at some point to weaken the wheel. Interesting either way though...
Old 01-14-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: (gots_a_sol)

What a suck!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: carbon wheels destroyed! (volkdlr)

aren't carbon fiber wheels only meant for track where you don't have to worry about hitting debris and pot holes?
Old 01-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Son

Default Re: carbon wheels destroyed! (Reckless636)

Carbon or metal one way or another you run a risk of them breaking during a crash. Heres a local:
Old 01-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: carbon wheels destroyed! (Son)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Son &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Carbon or metal one way or another you run a risk of them breaking during a crash. Heres a local: </TD></TR></TABLE>

They are saying that the wheel failing is what caused the crash.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Son

Default Re: carbon wheels destroyed! (RebornGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RebornGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are saying that the wheel failing is what caused the crash.</TD></TR></TABLE>Who is saying? I clicked on the link. All I saw was pics. No story from the original poster just some guys at the bottom sharing his thoughts and his own experience.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Grumpy Old Man

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Son &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who is saying? I clicked on the link. All I saw was pics. No story from the original poster just some guys at the bottom sharing his thoughts and his own experience.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your right but I assumed that was the case because the title is "What happens when Carbon Wheels Fail" and in the post about it on sportbikes.net a guy said:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chesus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">supposedly, some people backed up the guy who crashed saying he was a good rider and was just riding down the track and it was destroyed</TD></TR></TABLE>

The full story isn't out yet though. We'll see soon enough...
Old 01-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Son

Default Re: carbon wheels destroyed! (RebornGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RebornGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your right but I assumed that was the case because the title is "What happens when Carbon Wheels Fail" and in the post about it on sportbikes.net a guy said:

The full story isn't out yet though. We'll see soon enough...</TD></TR></TABLE>Ahh I see
Old 01-14-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RebornGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The full story isn't out yet though. We'll see soon enough...</TD></TR></TABLE>

the story is, happened at palomar mtn, san diego cal. 999 was heading down the mtn and some noob in a sv650 coming up the mtn. crossed over the double yellow line taking out the 999. fortunately both riders walked away unhurt. 999 took most of the damage.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: carbon wheels destroyed! (MaxSterling)

That's one of my biggest fears, cars or bikes that cross over the double yellow. Cars turning left is #1 and getting rear ended is #2.

Glad to hear that both the guys made it ok.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: carbon wheels destroyed! (MaxSterling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaxSterling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the story is, happened at palomar mtn, san diego cal. 999 was heading down the mtn and some noob in a sv650 coming up the mtn. crossed over the double yellow line taking out the 999. fortunately both riders walked away unhurt. 999 took most of the damage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was talking about the original pictures.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FWIW, I know the guy on the SV, and he's not a noob. At some time, everyone will go down. There is a big stink going on over at two websites regarding this matter, since the 999 rider belongs to one site, and the SV to another.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FWIW, I know the guy on the SV, and he's not a noob. At some time, everyone will go down. There is a big stink going on over at two websites regarding this matter, since the 999 rider belongs to one site, and the SV to another.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did the SV rider admit fault?

Got links to the two sites?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: (RebornGSR)

Viva la resistance!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Son

Default Re: (RebornGSR)

HAHA oh **** look what I started. Please guys lets just go back to the Topic at hand.
So... hows them fiber wheels

marmaladeboy: I know him also, for the Trojans sake lets pretend this never came up
Old 01-14-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: (Son)

Rumor has it they suck.... but not as much as SV riders!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Son

Default Re: (Apocalypse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rumor has it they suck.... but not as much as SV riders!</TD></TR></TABLE>Must be true coming from an SVrider himself
Old 01-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Son)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Son &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
marmaladeboy: I know him also, for the Trojans sake lets pretend this never came up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds good to me. I'm just sticking up for him because of the "he's a noob" comment.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

Carbon fiber rarely "just fails." I've staked my life on carbon fiber components before and I have no hesitations about doing it again. Anything made of the stuff has to be properly cared for - instead of bending in the instance of structural weakening (as metals do) carbon fiber will shear in a spectacular fashion. Carbon products are not as durable as their metal counterparts... but we all knew that. For all we know, the rider could have pegged a sizable hole at some point, had let something heavy fall on a wheel, dropped one... anything.

I just want to debunk the myth that carbon fiber is this inherently dangerous material of mystics and wizards.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: (ASteele2)

I saw a thing on million dollar toys. One of features was a cigar boat. You know those long race boats with two cockpits next to eachother. Anyway, I remember one of the owners saying how the boat is made of carbon fiber and has a useable life of like 5 or 6 years.

So, if something like a wheel, which would be considered a high stress component on a street bike, was made of cf, wouldn't it also have a useable life span?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: (ScareyH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So, if something like a wheel, which would be considered a high stress component on a street bike, was made of cf, wouldn't it also have a useable life span?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The wierd thing about composites is that they don't have a fatique cycle limit. With metals, you can put them through a certain stress limit + cycles, and they remain elastic. With composite material however, they immediatly start to go through fatique cycles, moving immediatly in the plastic deformation catagory as soon as they are deformed in the slightest. There is no elastic stress for them.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: (Goullish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Goullish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The wierd thing about composites is that they don't have a fatique cycle limit. With metals, you can put them through a certain stress limit + cycles, and they remain elastic. With composite material however, they immediatly start to go through fatique cycles, moving immediatly in the plastic deformation catagory as soon as they are deformed in the slightest. There is no elastic stress for them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

English?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: (ScareyH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

English?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're constantly fatiquing, and they don't bend without being damaged. Like, at all.

Quick Reply: carbon wheels destroyed!