Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

water pump install

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump install

hello all I知 trying to install a new water pump.
i知 waiting for some tools to arrive so i can get cam gear off. anyone know if a normal electric Dewalt impact is gonna be enough to undo that bolt?? if not how can i do this with minimal stress im taking it off in a parking garage with no outlets so im kinda limited.

secondly in the mean time does anyone know if you need the head block off in order to install everything? i have mine off and id like to put it back but cant in case the water pump needs everything out.

my engine is 97 del sol swap with B16A

Old 09-16-2024, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: water pump install

That bolt is a pain if it's on there for a while. If your impact wont break it loose, go to autozone and loan their Honda crankshaft holder. Use a long breaker bar and break it off. The longer the better.

You can put the water pump on with the head already bolted to the block but it's harder because you are now feeling for the bolt hole instead of seeing where it is.

Since you are there, replace your front crank seal with OEM honda part...I tried felpro and it leaks so bad.
Old 09-17-2024, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

If your impact is a later gen mid-torque, I think there's a 50/50 chance that it will come loose. If it's 1/2" drive, you can get a weighted socket for it that is supposed to help. I've never used a weighted socket, but the reviews are generally good.

Otherwise, the crank holder tool and long breaker bar ought to do it like Silentz suggested.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-17-2024, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
If your impact is a later gen mid-torque, I think there's a 50/50 chance that it will come loose. If it's 1/2" drive, you can get a weighted socket for it that is supposed to help. I've never used a weighted socket, but the reviews are generally good.

Otherwise, the crank holder tool and long breaker bar ought to do it like Silentz suggested.

hey man thanks for the advice i ordered the parts the might get here bit late does anyone know if i can leave the pulley off until after i put the block head back on the car?? also does anyone know if a slide hammer is required to take the pulley off? i don稚 think it has a balancer on it just stock.
Old 09-17-2024, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You dont need a slide hammer to get the crank pulley off. It would slide off easy but make sure you dont loose that wooddruff key. You can leave the pulley out while you do the headgasket.

Also, dont tension your timing belt too tight or you'll get another belt in about 15k miles.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-18-2024, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silentz
You dont need a slide hammer to get the crank pulley off. It would slide off easy but make sure you dont loose that wooddruff key. You can leave the pulley out while you do the headgasket.

Also, dont tension your timing belt too tight or you'll get another belt in about 15k miles.

thanks dude got it. i値l update when it痴 finished
Old 09-19-2024, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silentz

hey so i got the pulley off and everything seemed to go fine it looks like there was a spring loose inside the cover and lots of coolant at the bottom so i know it was leaking.

im replacing water pump, crank pulley seal, power steering belt. and timing tensioner,
and was considering the CFK sensor as well has anyone found that relevant to be replaced before?

but the rubber cover was leaking lots so im wondering if anyone knows where i can get the lower rubber timing cover seals? the OEM ones are trash.

also the washers behind the crank pulley look pretty worn out does anyone know if they池e on rock auto i can稚 find them at all.

and lastly i came across the timing cover repair sleeve and im woundering if this is recommended or not? does it work and where does it even go? if the crank shaft pulley was leaking so much would that help anything?

Last edited by neufie77; 09-21-2024 at 03:23 AM.