Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Shaking at 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Shaking at 80 mph

I'm pretty sure this has been covered in here before but I have done what has been covered or more. But I have shaking from 80 to 90 in my CR-V. I have replaced all suspension arms, bushings, tie rods, ball joints, struts, and sway bar ends. Also cv axles, transmission, wheel bearings, rotors, and brake pads. I am about to change the trans mounts and the calipers. It shakes my entire dash. If anyone has any knowledge with this please notify me. Because my 93 hatchback has started doing the same thing. Thanks.

Respectfully,
Eric
Old 04-04-2019, 03:20 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: Shaking at 80 mph

Out of balance or out of round wheels/tires.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rebalance your wheels, i had a similar problem on my 2005 but it was aftermarket cv axles that was causing the problems
Old 04-06-2019, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

inconsistent shaking is usually separated tires. check out your wheels by jacking up the car and giving all of them a good spin. if it looks straight, try getting them balanced as the others have said.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm having the same issue. I've been chasing this shake in my 2nd gens steering wheel for what feels like forever now. From 60-80mph the front end would shake pretty badly. Didn't matter if I was accelerating or braking. Only between those speeds would the shake begin. Mind you, the car would still stay in a straight line, with hands off the wheel. Just very shakey. Noticed my tie rod ends were pretty worn. Replaced them. Replaced the front brakes and rotors just for the hell of it. Shake got a little better. Saw most of the suspension rubbers were cracked and worn. So I replaced the control arms, sway end links, and ball joints. Got it aligned. Rotated the tires, they're still in really good condition, and the wheels are balanced. Now the shake is considerably a lot less noticable. But it's still there. It's subtle, but depending on the road can be better or worse. Went from shaking the entire front end of the car, to a low rumble. The bearings don't make any noise and seem solid. But I haven't checked them in depth. The struts look old, maybe even original, but don't seem like they're on their way out. Axles don't seem to have much play in them and the boots are still in good condition. I'm thinking of looking at the trans mount next as well.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My trans mount doesn't even have a crack in it. Took some brand new good years off of it and replaced them with brand new yokohama's and the shake has gone down also. Just a rumble now. I guess I'm going to take the cv axles out and spin the tires over and see if I have any resistance. If so I'll replace the calipers. Hopefully that is what is making it shake. If not I'm going for the entire rack and pinion.

Originally Posted by PolkaSauce
I'm having the same issue. I've been chasing this shake in my 2nd gens steering wheel for what feels like forever now. From 60-80mph the front end would shake pretty badly. Didn't matter if I was accelerating or braking. Only between those speeds would the shake begin. Mind you, the car would still stay in a straight line, with hands off the wheel. Just very shakey. Noticed my tie rod ends were pretty worn. Replaced them. Replaced the front brakes and rotors just for the hell of it. Shake got a little better. Saw most of the suspension rubbers were cracked and worn. So I replaced the control arms, sway end links, and ball joints. Got it aligned. Rotated the tires, they're still in really good condition, and the wheels are balanced. Now the shake is considerably a lot less noticable. But it's still there. It's subtle, but depending on the road can be better or worse. Went from shaking the entire front end of the car, to a low rumble. The bearings don't make any noise and seem solid. But I haven't checked them in depth. The struts look old, maybe even original, but don't seem like they're on their way out. Axles don't seem to have much play in them and the boots are still in good condition. I'm thinking of looking at the trans mount next as well.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:52 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Just know that in all my years of Honda ownership, from CRV's, a Pilot, many different forms of Civics, at some speed they are all bound to have some level of discernible vibration. These are not perfectly tuned, brand new chassis. And no wheel and tire is going to be perfectly round and/or balanced. You might be going down a deep rabbit hole if you are not able to live with any vibration at any speed.

Been there, done that. Learned to live with it.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eric5984
My trans mount doesn't even have a crack in it. Took some brand new good years off of it and replaced them with brand new yokohama's and the shake has gone down also. Just a rumble now. I guess I'm going to take the cv axles out and spin the tires over and see if I have any resistance. If so I'll replace the calipers. Hopefully that is what is making it shake. If not I'm going for the entire rack and pinion.
My trans and motor mounts look solid as well. Ended up replacing the bearings, struts. New inner tie rods. Got another alignment, got all the wheels rebalanced just in case. Shaking used to start at 55 and get better the closer I got to 80. Now it seems like it starts at 65 and gets worse the closer I get to 80. And still does the helicopter noise. So, Im guessing my Cvs are junk. Even the mechanic at the alignment shop said they look good though. Although he said "almost new". Makes me wonder if the PO put some junky aftermarket Cvs on. If I replace those and it still happens, Im pretty much where you're at. Might replace the calipers just for the hell of it. The boot on one of the pistons had a very small hole in it, but it wasn't seizing that I could tell, and I sealed it.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Just know that in all my years of Honda ownership, from CRV's, a Pilot, many different forms of Civics, at some speed they are all bound to have some level of discernible vibration. These are not perfectly tuned, brand new chassis. And no wheel and tire is going to be perfectly round and/or balanced. You might be going down a deep rabbit hole if you are not able to live with any vibration at any speed.

Been there, done that. Learned to live with it.
Don't get me wrong, if it was just a vibration, I'd be able to deal. All of my cars have had some vibration. This is enough of a shake that it eventually rattles the whole cabin and almost feels unsafe to drive though. If I could get it down to just a vibration, I'll be happy lol.