Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Hatmanafro's DA9 "Hoodrich V2"

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatmanafro's DA9 "Hoodrich V2"

so in 2011 i got my first DA9. i absolutely loved it. i drove it for about a year before i hit a deer. once i got a new car my mom didnt want it parked in her drive way so i sold it for too cheap. highlight of my first DA was the cable b16 tranny. i was keeping up with DC2 gsr. it was amazing. anyways, after that experience i fell in love with hondas and ever since ive always wanted to build another one.

heres my first one.

fast forward to now. ive been able to buy my own house and acquire a DD. i came across a da9 around my area that was for sale for 400 dollars. they claimed it didnt run but i managed to get it started. all systems checked good and it even warmed up and idled good. only problem was a bad rod knock. i drove it around the duded yard and the clutch worked good transmission operated fine. i was sold!

i attemped to drive it home because it was only about a 15 minute drive from where i bought it back to my house..

well about 1.2 miles from my point of departure the motor blew. in a bad way

so with tax season coming i really want to comit myself to building the car and making it to import alliance on march 30th 2019 at Atlanta speedway
i cleaned out my garage and made room. so i have started the tear down. ive always seen build threads online and so i wanna follow suit.
here i will try to update the little things that i do with nice detailed pictures.

i plan to go for an extreme fitment build and not much else. this is gonna be a weekend car and just for the purpose of hard parking. i will be the first to admit. tomorrow i will be picking up a jdm b20 to take the place of the blown b18a.

once i pulled the head off i found this carnage

the engine is really the only thing wrong with it. that and it leaks alot of water on the interior but i will be replacing the taillight gaskets and redoing the gasket for the blower motor air inlet under the cowl

here are some random pictures of the tear down so far. i have already pulled the motor and tranny and will be dedicatng myself to cleaning out all the grime and dirt from the engine bay.
the shell is actually really clean and untampered with. the previous owner put ebay coil sleeves on it and thats about it. i will be getting function and form type 1s and i will try my best to fit 16x10 with 165/50/16 tires mounted.
thanks for looking and be on the look out for pictures as i go along!

thanks for reading!! any thouhts or comments are welcome.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hatmanafro's DA9 "Hoodrich V2"

Old 01-18-2019, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-18-2019, 07:23 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

“Plan to go for an extreme fitment build”.

unsubscribe :barf:
Old 01-19-2019, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .Grimace
“Plan to go for an extreme fitment build”.

unsubscribe :barf:
haha! I like it
Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just picked me up a jdm low comp b20!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always been a fan of the DA/DB, hence the username. but good luck with the build! hopefully this turns out as good as the pictures are coming out.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tax season build?

Yikes.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden
Tax season build?

Yikes.
its rough out here bro
Old 01-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HeLLa iLL2ndGen
always been a fan of the DA/DB, hence the username. but good luck with the build! hopefully this turns out as good as the pictures are coming out.
thanks bro! I will keep y’all updated and the one good thing about my thread is that I will try to provide nice detailed pictures. I’m a photographer by hobby
Old 01-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so like i mentioned i picked up a jdm b20b. its an OBD2 engine.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sunday the sun was out and we had no rain so i went ahead and put in a good bit of elbow grease. i boiled water, then i put it in a bucket with dawn dish soap and purple power and with a scrub brush. then i finished off with a pressure washer. i attacked the transmission as well as all three motor mounts

here is the result

i wouldnt say it is 100 percent but its good enough for me. this week i will tear down the b20 and start to mock up the engine harness. i will need to geta jumper harness for the alternator. i dont have the proper tools to remove the crank pulley. it is a pain in the ***. i do have to come up with a way to get to the bottom bolt of the drivers side engine mount bracket without damaging the timing cover. also i want to keep the b20b thermostat housing so i can maintain a fan switch. bit the b20 tstat housing is missing a coolant line nipple that goes to the obd0 intake manifold. im thinking about teeing off from the coolant nipple that is on the back of the block. but i will continue to investigate. nest check i plan to go ahead and get the jumper harness for the alternator, clutch kit, and i wanna go ahead and relocate the battery to the rear. so i will look into installing a battery box and getting the proper length of wire to run the positive terminal.all in all im happy with the way the transmission turned out. i get home from work too late for me to wash the engine during the week so i will try to do that this weekend along with the engine bay. i think this week i will try to focus on mocking up the engine harness and getting that ready. thanks again guys for looking through here!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good man! I've painted several engines/transmissions in the past and honestly I don't bother anymore. If you actually drive the car on the streets they get so dirty so quickly and never look that good over time. An engine/transmission cleaned how you did is the best if you are street driving. I'm digging the good quality photos too.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Prudz_lude
Looks good man! I've painted several engines/transmissions in the past and honestly I don't bother anymore. If you actually drive the car on the streets they get so dirty so quickly and never look that good over time. An engine/transmission cleaned how you did is the best if you are street driving. I'm digging the good quality photos too.
yeah I was debating wether I should paint it or not but I decided just to do the best I can with what I got. I might hit it with some scotch brite in some areas but that’s about it. I’ve heard of grey engine paint changing colors as you go through heat cycles so I didn’t wanna waste my effort time or money on the paint.

And thanks bro! I will try to keep the updates coming!
almost time for tax returns so Im looking forward to it
Old 01-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brake cleaner! Anything that isn't coming off just blast it with brake cleaner.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so these last couple of days i accomplished a couple of things.

first i fought tooth and nail to remove the old intake manifold gasket. i purchased some of the permatex gasket remover and can attest that it didnt help accomplish much. it helped but it still was a tedious time consuming project. a razor and scotch brite helped the most. after appliying paint remover to the gasket, absolutely nothing happened. the gasket remover did help a little bit by softening the caked on paper gasket.

i searched for info here on the honda-tech forum about depining the alternator plug to repin it into the obd2 plug. but instead i stumbled across information stating that you can simply swap the board on the back of the alternator from obd2 to obd0 making it plug and play. this was the easiest way out. i could have installed my obd0 alternator as a whole but i have heard the crank pulley between the b18 and b20 is different and the alternator pulleys are too. i didnt want t o prematurely wear out my alternator by underiving it or over driving it due to the difference in pully sized. not to mention tensioning the belt might have been a problem on its own. the imported motor came with the alternator intact and belt to boot so i wanted to preserve that. when i installed the back cover plate i had to use my dremel to enlarge the hole to accommodate for the larger obd0 plug. all in all this was the best option.

then i also used the dremel to cut a hole in the timing cover under the driver side motor mount bracket to get to the third bolt in order to remover the bracket and swap in the one from the old b18. luckily i didnt cut anything else in the process. i was a bit worried i would hit the timing belt on accident. luckily for me that didnt happen. it went down pretty smooth.

its a little ugly but im hoping once the engine is in place it will be a little hiden

i also went through the engine harness and removed the wires from the old looming and 20yr old electrical tape. the oly things i will have to rewire are the coolant temp plug so i can leave the thermostat housing intact on the b20 and i also have to extend the one plug for the o2 sensor since the wire was broken.once i have my clutch in place and transmission mated to the engine i will mock up the harness and adjust as i need to in order to have the cleanest look possible when it comes to the engine harness. i dont have the ***** to attempt a full wire tuck just yet so i will leave that for later. i would love to relocate the fusebox but im thinking i might leave it under the hood. i will however remove the battery from under the hood and place in in the trunk. i plan to mount a battery box and extend the positive terminal

this is the pile of trash the harness left behind. it too about a solid hour to get it all off. and i made sure to label the sensors although i have a good idea what all the plugs are.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im happy to say im making decent progress and im happy to update the thread. due to this stoopid *** government shutdown im worried i might not get my tax return in time so we will have to see. im working a decent amount of over time so i shiuld be able to secure my parts little by little. but i would really like to have it completed and ready by mar 30th so i can go to Import alliance.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job so far man. Good work on the parts clean up.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ_ALLMOTA
Great job so far man. Good work on the parts clean up.
thanks bro! i still gotta do the engine bay and engine
Old 01-28-2019, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so this weekend i cleaned up the engine block and the intake manifold.

before

the engine block didnt come out as good as i hoped. but i might try again this weekend

after

and then tonight after i got home from work i made myself a little wheel mock up to determine the absolute most about of backspacing i could get away with without making contact with suspension parts. i really really wanna run 16x10 but using my mock up i determined that the most amount of back spacing i could get away with was about 4.5 inches. that equates to 16x10 -25 offset. quite a scairy number.. but i think i will dive into it head first. i will keep racking my brain over these numbers and calculations before i make any purchase but for now that helped me gain some knowledge

mock up