Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Civic of Doom: Honda Challenge Recycling

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Civic of Doom: Honda Challenge Recycling

Feel free to follow me or look at these ridiculous posts on my IG (@garagegraderacecar) or Facebook… I figured out how you kids killed the forums… and i remembered my password! I’m back! Back in the day… okay not that long ago I purchased this Integra from a friends friend… put 40k miles on it (240k on the clock) and decided to make it my track car.
Long story short… I blowed up the Integra. “Something” ended up in my oil pickup. This was after I swapped the trans to a GSR… after I built the motor because I popped the head gasket on track… after I purchased a used head that had every hole stripped… I might have felt defeated.

So you are blown up… you want to go play… you need a cage… what do you do? Find a new car! And by new car I mean someones (Chag Slaggs) well used sloppy seconds. But I have a history with this car (While in the Tech Shed with NASA MA, I DQed Chad twice for weight. One of the DQs cost him the regional championship)… so I jumped at the chance to trade a “safe queen” handgun and some cash for the shell… This is how I remember the car:

This is how it really looked as we pushed the Integra into the woods and pushed the Civic into the garage… This is how my prep started.

I really do have a history with this car… my name is all over the log book. I’ve always said something needs to be done about this cage… did I do something? Yeah sorta.

And then we started cleaning up the inside, sealing and painting. Chassis Saver and Rustoleum paint over the top.

Some of my biggest fans said things like “just get out there, stop wasting time prepping the car”… Well when you get a hot mess that has been raced for a decade… let me encourage you to take your time and pay attention to the details. Yes, even with a subframe brace, Hondas like to crack/break/rip them.

Once I welded that up I proceeded to install the rear end bling… PCI has really been helpful with the build on this car. I ordered every suspension part in stock… and they hooked me up with the rest when it came in stock.

I never thought I would be able to afford big boy shocks. Sure they aren’t MCS or Penske… but they were fresh back from a service and at 1/4 of retail… I just had to do it. Double adjustable Konis for me!

I called up a friend to baby sit me and the new B20 motor

Old 09-06-2018, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Civic of Doom: Honda Challenge Recycling

Looks great so far, I dig the orange cage.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Next was getting the engine and interior together. This engine is a full H2 Spec B20 (minus an overbore). Spec cams, 62.5mm TB, port matched, BC valve springs and steel retainers, supertech replacement valves, AEM cam gears, etc.

I’m colorblind as all get out … I mean I can see colors but wiring and what some people think is green, brown, etc… ehhh. All Honda fanbois need to save their time and just spend the money. This harness is NICE.

Needed some details on the engine… you know the oil cooler (that may or may not have helped) and the Vband exhaust.

The Garage Grade Team is a family affair… even the almost 4 year old nephew was getting in on the wrenching. All hands on deck!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There was a race to get things wrapped up… lets be clear… if you need to make an event, you better have the HOOKUP on dyno time and alignment time… I had neither. So while waiting for a windshield… I scrambled to find dyno time. I drove to NC to get it aligned and dyno time in… come home to finish the car and make some tweaks… and then tow back to VIR. I swear I’m dedicated.

Ricer dyno chart… mehhh

The event I was rushing for was VIR… It was going to be my last HPDE2 event, I needed to get some time at VIR for comp school… it just had to work out. PLUS I have to shake the car down and pray it doesn’t break too badly (goal accomplished). And then it rained… so I dusted off the 4 year old 200TW tires I bought on the cheap… and we set up the hobo camp!

This is what happens when it rains in the paddock and people cant get things out normally… and plus hizzyfest.

I did bring my take off RRs… but I decided to focus on learning and not worry about things too much… so I stayed on the “rains” and went out to play.
I shook down the car so much I had a problem… a typical crappy Honda problem.
I NUKED the distributor a little… So with a little help from the Honda Challenge family and Sally McNulty’s crew (please see Hoonigan)… we build a bastardized distributor in under 40 mintues, timed the motor, and were ready to go back out there.
And then I broke the car again… and with a part no one would have spares for. (Luckily PCI sent parts out overnight so I was ready to go for the next event). I swear I checked all my nuts and bolts… but I am pretty sure I missed one. This finished my hyperfest with my last session on Saturday… but my Instructor was happy and ready to solo me and send me to 3. So the goal was met!
Here are some VIR pics… no aero… ehhh she’s ugly but I’ll take it.
So with a month between events… I fix the compliance bushing, ignore the distributor, and built a splitter… Oh and my kid brother brought me back some knock off mugen parts from Japan… for my first event in HPDE3 at Summit Point. I was still on the old “rain” tires… I’m still learning the car… I’m slow… I don’t care… I’m still trying to reach my dreams no matter what decade it is.
Everything went well at Summit… but life got busy, I accepted a new job, the wife deserves some time, etc… So I’ll only be doing Oct and November for the rest of the year… but hey the car isn’t broken. First time I can say that in … maybe 15 years!??!I’ve since ordered all the crap I need to get the car finished and legal for comp school…. Fire suppression, drivers nets, my suit, gloves, etc… I’m probably going to build a B16A or B18C5 for next year… probably not for comp school… but who knows I might get motivated. I’m also looking to take the GSR transmission with Mfactory diff to the “next level” and get it ready to actually be competitive too… you know, because everyone else does it. I also need to clean up the paint and get it sorta close to a 50/50 rule. Who wants to help me paint the car in the garage? Anyone good with body work? I pay in beer and brisket. Stay tuned…
Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

good read with all the pics to boot
Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hasport
good read with all the pics to boot
thanks! you might have noticed my mounts
Old 09-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the stock b20 "good" for road racing type applications? i know alot of fools pop the LS-Vtec combos b/c they dont build them right but i hear that the bottom end isnt really made to revv.

cool build
Old 09-07-2018, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

H1 is allowed aftermarket rods (rods with vtec sized rod bolts)... H2 racers usually replace their rod bolts yearly (even ARPs). They do fail.

that being said, they are CHEAP. if you have a track car and you need a "quick" motor... its the easy button.

My transmission is far from prepped to race (stay tuned for the trans build this winter)... its a GSR with Mfactory plate LSD. Good but not an ITR, with a 4.928 FD, plate diff, and .875 5th gear (and you wouldn't want a 4.928 FD with the low reving B20... this is the real issue with the motor) ... I run down just about everyone on track. No I cant run down the GT3 RS guys or the GTRs... but I eat miatas, most BMWs, etc.

For my tracks... the B20 would do really well with a B16/ITR trans with a 4.7 FD. But it would still not be able to keep up with the higher revving vtec engines (IMHO).

I have procured a GSR engine, 4.928 FD, .875 5th... This will make my minimum weight 2400lbs (currently 2415 with a full tank and a few items to add) and 175 hp is my cap for power. Revving to 8k with the GSR shouldn't be too hard to achieve (and you can shift the power curves with cam gears)... seems to be the optimal engine for my current car weight.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:34 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaan
thanks! you might have noticed my mounts
yes
Old 09-08-2018, 01:53 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That wasn't a cage in Chad's car it was a fortress!
Anyone know where Stinkychezmonky is these days?
Old 09-08-2018, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was this car raced every season for 10 years?

ive read about the subframes cracking from street use and using a bigger sway bar but thats pretty gnarly if a braced subframe still cracked.

or maybe its impressive it didnt shear off entirely after 10 years of competitive? racing
Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
That wasn't a cage in Chad's car it was a fortress!
Anyone know where Stinkychezmonky is these days?
Its some pretty heavy duty tubing that was used. The car is a little tubby for it.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sjg88
was this car raced every season for 10 years?

ive read about the subframes cracking from street use and using a bigger sway bar but thats pretty gnarly if a braced subframe still cracked.

or maybe its impressive it didnt shear off entirely after 10 years of competitive? racing
It has an easy 8-10 years of racing on it. I need to pull the rear bar and check the status of the repair. If its even questionable it will get a replacement subframe this winter... but I doubt it will need it.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Car was raced starting in 2003.

CAGE Tube is 1.75 .095 wall.....i wanted it over built.

Always had a rear subframe brace.

Had a BIG Progress rear bar set close to full....
Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hurray for late updates… life gets busy as soon as the off season hits. Thanksgiving, Christmas… and lots of work to do on the car in between (and after). Summit Point with NASA MA is always a blast. I get to sleep in my own bed and it’s a fun little 10 turn (2 mile) track. The bonus was I got my kid brother out on track for the first time… he got to “hyperdrive” the #civicofdoom. Needless to say he is hooked. He did take it easy while driving and he was eager to jump in the passenger seat and have some fun too.

Daylight savings time is good for ONE thing… glowing rotor pictures.

I am picking up speed… but I need to get faster… sure I’m driving the B20 150lbs over weight and with a “stock” GSR trans (with mfactory diff)… but I cant rely on the machine to make me faster.

Stay tuned for some winter progress… Chad hooked me up with a B18C1 block… there are a mountain of parts from IPGparts.com and AFH (B18C build plus an overhaul of the trans) … and the car is getting prepped for a respray. Its time to get motivated! Comp School is in March!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Damn, that looks like a blast! Once my current car is finished (project daily), I'll be looking for a shell to turn into a "mostly" track car. I don't think I'll be worrying about doing any competitive driving for a long time, but eventually I'd like to try it. I'm closer to Fredericksburg, so Dominion would probably be my track of choice. Sub'd to this!
Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Executive Summary: I passed, I’m slow, I’ll be back out there… the NASA MA and Honda Challenge Family is AMAZING. come out and join us!

HOLY SMOKES… those of you that follow my IG closely… feel free to skip to “COMP SCHOOL – Hell on Earth.” It was a MAJOR thrash sessions to get things finished up. I’m very thankful to Jason Lineberg for coming through and taking the stress of wiring away. It was causing me nightmares…. His help really saved me pre disaster (and he came by post disaster to finish it off!)

I’m away from home at least 14 hours a day… so I would come home, Sylvia would make dinner, I would be in the garage… for at least 6 weeks I was in the garage every night until bed time, pushing my bed time closer and closer to midnight (I wake up at 4am).

That was amplified by a tragedy on the dyno. Visual inspection of the rings and bearings indicated the engine would be fine… I used all new OEM parts, HIGH dollar aftermarket parts, etc. well it only put down 174hp… with at least one cylinder chugging oil like the Honda Challenge kids wreck bud lites. I was feeling pretty defeated… my trans was already built to run the Vtec motors and switching back to the B20 would have me sitting on the rev limiter in 5th gear for a LONG time.

My wife and crew chief, Sylvia, told me to give it a night (mind out we only had 11 days to go), think about it and figure stuff out. I had settled on the fact I would send this B20 to its doom, rev it out, and probably be the first person on the internet to use a Hondata coil on plug kit on a non vtec motor…. It was going to take some ingenuity, but it should have worked out.

Sylvia knew with 9 days left and my only local go to for parts to make the B20 work would be amazon prime… handed me an envelope full of cash with “happy birthday” on it. Enough to go buy a B18C5 from a local JDM importer. I’d check my bosses calendar, see when he was in a meeting, and call all the importers. Needless to say, outside of “illegal” “spoon” motors in Richmond (which they wanted $8k for)… there was ONE left in Manassas. I called, they agreed to hold it for me… and I had to figure out how to get the motor on a week day. (be inventive… I’m not typing it out).

BAM… I got my hands on the motor, unloaded it, and had it hung in the engine by before sun down. I hate that I have gotten so good at this… We fire the motor up, sounds great… no leaks, etc. Deren at MachV agrees to give this one a tune for me… quick work of the tune with a healthy motor… all be it Wednesday night, and we leave for VIR the next day.

COMP SCHOOL – Hell on Earth & Paddock Gnomes

We are all lined up waiting for the gates to open at VIR… we are pretty far back in line, but we know we are paddocking with the HC kids on the beach. Its dark, we have to camp, etc… I have to get through tech for my annual… we rush to unload and are maybe 10th in line… not bad.

Tech goes too well… pass with flying colors and then… the smell of fuel. My injectors are leaking… they didn’t leak in the garage… they didn’t leak on the dyno… so we stayed up until midnight, the night before comp school fixing the car. Obviously I have things on my mind… driving four 40 minutes sessions (turns out to be 5) the next day… I have a written test to pass… I don’t want to be the first NASA Official to fail the test… blah blah

Just as I get to sleep, during a windy 30-ish degree night, our air mattress touches down on the cold steel trailer. We only put the tent on the trailer after all the rain last year… but I’m not sure the ground would have been much better. I pass out a couple of times that night and wake up sore and tired. But hey, comp school awaits.

NOTE: when they tell you it’s a full day, they aren’t lying. If you plan to go to comp school recruit help, good help, lots of help… its not a joke. You will do nothing but drive your car… you don’t have time to add gas or torque your lug nuts…

I got SUPER lucky… session one, having fun with standing starts, I rolled 2/3 of the field… seeing the front, I got a little aggressive in turn 1 and flat spotted my front tires… Paddock Gnomes changed them out (Brent and I think DJ)… because Sylvias only fear is jacking the car up. If you tell her to swap this or that, do the brakes, etc… she’s fine, as long as someone else puts it in the air. THANK YOU PADDOCK GNOMES!

Session 2… even more lucky… First off my hearing came back… but second/third another driver in the paddock stopped working on his busted AI car to weld up my header … yes I broke a header in comp school. THEN… another guy in comp school who was “out” due to a rear main seal dying out… pulled his Vband off and gave it to me to use… all put together with time to spare (though I didn’t get to eat lunch).

Session 3 and 4… all is good… having lots of fun. Getting side by side with people, battling it out, swapping spots… learning how to take a spot back on the exit of a turn, etc.

Session 5… AKA the “fun race.” It was fun for me… I’m sure there were several BMW drivers that were pretty pissed off though. I’m not sure what they were thinking or if they were really that worried about the non rookies being in the group, but their pace was way behind. I had one bonzi me in 14a (man I need to work on that section of the track) only to get really mad when I passed him coming out of hog pen… overall, fun times… but at this point I had 3.3 hours of track time on the car in one day… HOLY SMOKES.

RICE RACE BABY

Saturday/Sunday were “race days.” And I flat spotted the crap out of my front tires on a COLD track first thing Saturday morning. At this point I was out of spare tires and I know for qualifying and for the races I’m going to need to dial it back. It’s a mental challenge for me to not go all out … luckly I held out long enough for my tires to get warm.

I go to gas up for qualifying… and magically I have no forward gears… but I can go backward. SO I backup from the gas pumps to the beach. I have popped an axle out from the trans, fluid is everywhere and the axle end is shot. I borrow an axle from a competitor and throw it in there… off to qualifying.

I switched from harrys to the aim for this event… I’m still running a 2:20 (easily 8 seconds off the pace, every HC driver picked up at least 2 seconds from last years VIR)… I just cant stay in the gas like the other cars can in 4-5, oak tree, and hogpen… and I’m being a little soft in braking for 14 and 1… After thinking about it, “man you suck at the whole track…. I guess that’s where 8 seconds can go.” I laugh about it, Sylvia gives me a dirty look and wants to know the joke… so I tell her… then she goes “hey… why are your front tires so far off.” UMM my alignment is a LONG way off… I might have 1 degree of camber on the left side… Deren goes “well that’s not going to help you in T4/5, oak tree, hogpen, or anywhere…”

The Sunday Beast of the East race was fun… right until I watched the E30 no brake for southbend and crash it just before oak tree. I was tangling with a miata for a bit, but mostly because the E30 driver was a little crazy and I couldn’t get around him… once he was crashed out I walked away into my lonely zone in the Lighting pack.

The final race for Sunday started out pretty well…. I stopped looking at my AIM, I was sorta keeping up with the HC field, etc… right until I popped the dipstick out of the engine and kept throwing oil onto the radiator and header under braking! FYI, my hood vent works like a mother… placement must be amazing because the smoke pours out of the vent… BUT it does get all over the windshield. Praying it was just water and steam, I took my brake marker early into oak tree rounded the corner… and decided the hit the windshield wiper when I grabbed 4th… NOPE… its oil. I limped it in and took a DNF for the Sunday race.

I got my license, the car needs work, the driver needs at least equal amount of work… I need more tires (and wheels lol)… and Sylvia is convinced of an enclosed trailer now.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so awesome man. i also had similar troubles with my first comp school. So did damien. most important part is you kept working and you got the job done.

also this quote is awesome:

Visual inspection of the rings and bearings indicated the engine would be fine… I used all new OEM parts, HIGH dollar aftermarket parts, etc. well it only put down 174hp… with at least one cylinder chugging oil like the Honda Challenge kids wreck bud lites.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the club, if my motor can hold together (as it also started burning oil on the dyno) we'll party at hyperfest. I also have a set of rota slips hanging around if you need a cheap set of wheels and i make it down there.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I assume slips will clear the ITR/MINI cooper setup? how much? im interested... though I have zero room to haul more tires.

I need an enclosed trailer (or to stop flat spotting tires)
Old 03-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on again on the Comp License! Glad it was just the "dipstick".

You were right as rain on those rotors, I didn't have a back up set and they were toast by session #6.

Also, I feel like Stevie Wonder trying to see the images in the post. Can anyone else see them?
Old 03-29-2019, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dublocivic
Congrats on again on the Comp License! Glad it was just the "dipstick".

You were right as rain on those rotors, I didn't have a back up set and they were toast by session #6.

Also, I feel like Stevie Wonder trying to see the images in the post. Can anyone else see them?
ha! you know what the turd looks like!

I need some fancy brakes like you! maybe with less holes and stuff.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kaan
ha! you know what the turd looks like!

I need some fancy brakes like you! maybe with less holes and stuff.
hah I can see the pics now, hey did you find a spring yet? I was thinking a header spring might work.

Yeah, I got rid of the holes(and cracks), HPT/Wilwood hooked it up with some proper GT 37 rotors
Old 04-01-2019, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't found the right one. i'll probably just safety wire it down
Old 04-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SO... if you don't follow the instagram (and I don't do a good job explaining it there anyway)

20 minutes into my 40 minutes session... the car was pushing terribly, especially in right hand turns. A buddy of mine, had me bring the car over to his "shed" where he sets up a lot of circle track cars... SO... off I went.

the baseline was set with left side camber only being -1/-.5, with the right side being set at -2.5/-1.5... whiskey tango foxtrot... my alignment went out of spec (or the spec the shop printed off before the tightened things down) ... this would make the car feel pretty terrible in right hand turns (all the key turns leading to straight aways at VIR are right handers).

now that we had the baseline we rolled off the scales (leveled) we decided to set the corner weights. my cross weights were 64/36, "how did you make it around the track!?!?! this isn't optimal for left hand turns".... off we went to fiddling with the corners and getting things dialed down to 50.11/49.89% cross weights. my weight was just under the 50% of a session mark for fuel burning... this should allow me to add fuel and be completely in the sweet spot for an entire session.

It should feel like a completely different car in two weeks at summit point.

Last edited by Kaan; 04-01-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Civic of Doom: Honda Challenge Recycling