Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My EG hatch B18C swap build

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:31 AM
Premium Member

Received 192 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Re: My EG hatch B18C swap build

The Integra is a '99? Are you dealing w/ OBD1 and OBD2 on these?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
That is awesome! You are making some serious time on this project.

Question - are you keeping the IAB factory intake on the B18?
Spending every bit of free time I have, haha. I really want to drive this car! Still a lot of work to do though, I have to swap over the wiring, both front and rear subframes including all suspension components, as well as the all the fuel lines and the tank.
And yes, the engine will be staying 100% stock for the time being. I'm going to get the car working properly before I even think about mods.

The Integra is a '99? Are you dealing w/ OBD1 and OBD2 on these?
It is a 99. I'm swapping the whole loom so it shouldn't matter. Think of this project as more of a shell swap than an engine swap.

Edit: In hindsight, after ripping the dash out and attacking the harness I didn't see an OBD2 port anywhere. I suppose the Australian model might still be an OBD1 even from 99.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Custard
Spending every bit of free time I have, haha. I really want to drive this car! Still a lot of work to do though, I have to swap over the wiring, both front and rear subframes including all suspension components, as well as the all the fuel lines and the tank.
And yes, the engine will be staying 100% stock for the time being. I'm going to get the car working properly before I even think about mods.

It is a 99. I'm swapping the whole loom so it shouldn't matter. Think of this project as more of a shell swap than an engine swap.

Edit: In hindsight, after ripping the dash out and attacking the harness I didn't see an OBD2 port anywhere. I suppose the Australian model might still be an OBD1 even from 99.
I wasn't sure what they did in Oz for OBD2, or when.

Would you be able to take some pictures comparing the 2 front subframes? I have heard they are compatible, but that the Integra front sub-frame has additional stiffness?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't sure what they did in Oz for OBD2, or when.

Would you be able to take some pictures comparing the 2 front subframes? I have heard they are compatible, but that the Integra front sub-frame has additional stiffness?
Yeah, I heard that also. I'll do a comparison if there's a visual difference.

Didn't end up working on the car all day today, but I got a bit done. Completely removed the harness, HVAC, clutch master and pedal box.

Name:  cv9MSKz.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  2.84 MB

You can see where the leaking clutch master cylinder has eaten away at the paint. I scraped off what I could with my fingernails and I'll give it a coat of primer to stop it from rusting further.

Name:  MJdKA0X.jpg
Size:  2.42 MB

Also managed to save the banjos from the fuel line. I cut the crimp off and cleaned them up, ready for some fresh hose. Should work fine with some proper EFI hose and correct clamps.

Name:  5GM50er.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  3.91 MB

Name:  vAEgR4u.jpg
Size:  3.59 MB

Name:  MSZlrYr.jpg
Size:  3.56 MB

Bonus picture from yesterday. I knocked over a tub full of tranny fluid on my driveway

Name:  SyHOPji.jpg
Size:  4.50 MB

Last edited by Custard; 06-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haven't had as much time to work on the cars until today. I pulled the subframe from the Civic. I pulled the knuckles from the Integra and got the subframe ready to drop. Then I pulled the steering column and pedal boxes from the Integra and got the brake/throttle side bolted up to the Civic. Basically the first part I've actually put on the Civic, which is nice. Only been removing things up to this point. I discovered that both clutch slave and master from the Integra were gone, which is a bit sad, but I ordered some new ones. I also pulled the Civic's fuel tank and all the lines running from front to rear, basically fuel feed, fuel return, fuel vapour line for the evap canister, and both rear brake lines. I have to unclip the three fuel related lines and swap over the Integra's as they are different between engines. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the Integra's subframe into the Civic and get her rolling again so I can get it out into the driveway and pressure wash the engine bay. Once that's done I'll be installing parts in full force. Lots more pictures soon.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Bonus picture from yesterday. I knocked over a tub full of tranny fluid on my driveway

Thank you for including this - it makes me feel like my shenanigans in the driveway are a little more "normal"!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Haven't had as much time to work on the cars until today. I pulled the subframe from the Civic. I pulled the knuckles from the Integra and got the subframe ready to drop. Then I pulled the steering column and pedal boxes from the Integra and got the brake/throttle side bolted up to the Civic. Basically the first part I've actually put on the Civic, which is nice. Only been removing things up to this point. I discovered that both clutch slave and master from the Integra were gone, which is a bit sad, but I ordered some new ones. I also pulled the Civic's fuel tank and all the lines running from front to rear, basically fuel feed, fuel return, fuel vapour line for the evap canister, and both rear brake lines. I have to unclip the three fuel related lines and swap over the Integra's as they are different between engines. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the Integra's subframe into the Civic and get her rolling again so I can get it out into the driveway and pressure wash the engine bay. Once that's done I'll be installing parts in full force. Lots more pictures soon.
Will you let me know if your Integra has this brace on the subframe?
50205-ST7-000
https://www.hondaacuraonline.com/oem...EyMjEwNSZyPTE2 #16 in the image?

I want to know if it will bolt to the Civic subframe.

Thanks!

I think you could have run the Integra throttle to the Civic throttle pedal, but maybe not, since your Civic is/was a carby...

Do you mean the clutch slave and master cylinders were missing from the Integra? I think you want to keep the Civic clutch master, but you need the Integra clutch slave for your swap.

I also think you can keep your Civic fuel tank and lines, especially if your Civic had a fuel return line, and just hook up from your fuel filter to the B18 fuel rail, and plug the fuel rail into your return fuel line. I have no idea if an Integra fuel tanks fits into a Civic.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wgere fibfl?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gary Howard
Wgere fibfl?
Yes.

Will you let me know if your Integra has this brace on the subframe?
50205-ST7-000
https://www.hondaacuraonline.com/oem...EyMjEwNSZyPTE2 #16 in the image?

I want to know if it will bolt to the Civic subframe.

Thanks!

I think you could have run the Integra throttle to the Civic throttle pedal, but maybe not, since your Civic is/was a carby...

Do you mean the clutch slave and master cylinders were missing from the Integra? I think you want to keep the Civic clutch master, but you need the Integra clutch slave for your swap.

I also think you can keep your Civic fuel tank and lines, especially if your Civic had a fuel return line, and just hook up from your fuel filter to the B18 fuel rail, and plug the fuel rail into your return fuel line. I have no idea if an Integra fuel tanks fits into a Civic.
I dropped the Integra's subframe today and spotted the bar in question. Looking at the Civic's subframe there appears to be mounting holes for that bar, so I'd say you're good!
No, the cylinders weren't physically missing, they were just leaky and fucked. From my research and comparing them between cars, the master cylinders are identical. I originally bought an Integra clutch master, but got a refund and bought the Civic model instead for like $35 less. Those bastards.
And yeah, would have been able to use the original pedal box but I had it out anyway, might as well use the nicer and newer one!
Unfortunately the Civic's fuel lines and tank are quite different. The tank completely lacks the mounting points for a pump - the spot in the tank where it should go isn't even cut out. And the engine bay side of the fuel lines is totally different.

Got the front knuckles out of the Integra.
Name:  SNglzxc.jpg
Size:  4.77 MB

Dropped this sucker neatly out.
Name:  4VYRPh4.jpg
Size:  2.47 MB

Civic subframe for comparison. Shitty picture but you get the idea.
Name:  yoMQX6b.jpg
Size:  2.46 MB

Got the Integra's tank out and got the Civic's rear brake lines clipped in and looking nice. What a pain in the ****.
Name:  qOGdd5W.jpg
Size:  1.52 MB

Ruh-roh. The fuel tanks are just slightly physically different. God damn it, why did you lie to me, internet?! Going to have to source one locally. Anybody know if an EG sedan's tank fits a hatch?
Name:  biXUgRG.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  2.35 MB

Last edited by Custard; 06-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tracked down a fuel tank but I can't pick it up until next weekend. Can't really do anything to the car until I have the tank and lines sorted and in as they run under the subframe, and I need to pressure wash the bay before I install any loom, which means I need the subframe in to roll the car out of the garage. Bit of a delay in the build, but oh well!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Wow, so the carby Civic's have no pump in da tank. There must be a mechanical pump on the block, eh?

If you are able, can you get me a pic of where that extra bracing mounts on the Integra sub-frame? If it is a hassle, no problem.

Thanks Mate!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Gary Howard
Wgere fibfl?
Que?
Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

If you are able, can you get me a pic of where that extra bracing mounts on the Integra sub-frame? If it is a hassle, no problem.
I mocked up a little diagram so it's easier to see, because in the picture he posted of the Teg subframe the brace blends in real good. In this photo, top is Teg subframe with brace outlined and bottom is Civic subframe with outline of where the brace would mount. Only the mounting holes on the left side of the both frames are visible in the photos, but there are two identical holes on the right side too (using picture orientation, not driver orientation).

Old 05-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

That is very helpful!

I would be tempted to try to stab that in w/o pulling the sub-frame...
Old 05-13-2017, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alrighty. Tomorrow morning I'm heading to the other side of the state to pickup a fuel tank. Should be making progress very soon.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Today I drove 500 odd kilometers to pick up this fuel tank. Got home at like 5:30 and got to work.

Integra tank on the left, EFI EG tank on the right.
Name:  PD3XumE.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  2.59 MB

Pulled both pumps to compare. They look virtually identical, the angle of the fuel in/out seems to be the only real difference.
Name:  vnfnF8W.jpg
Size:  1.11 MB

Integra pump and all the other little bits installed on the EG tank. No worries.
Name:  ZyKmQov.jpg
Size:  2.54 MB

Fuel lines all connected to the tank. Time to install the sucker. No pictures of the installation because that would be impossible. Basically had to scooch under the tank and push it up into the hole, and get the jack under it to hold it in place while I checked for any snags before I did up the straps.
Name:  Qt9Q1zc.jpg
Size:  927.6 KB

You can see the Integra fuel line there, just have to put the filter assembly in and bolt up the line. Also notice my new clutch master cylinder.
Name:  M2E2IRE.jpg
Size:  2.65 MB

With the tank and lines in I was able to finally install the DC2 subframe.
Name:  MsS3NkQ.jpg
Size:  2.62 MB

Bam. Actually wasn't very hard, just a bit of a balancing act on the jack. Sorry for **** picture.
Name:  qcmpufd.jpg
Size:  2.71 MB

With the subframe installed I was able to go ahead and install the DC2 steering column.
Name:  vyY5CLS.jpg
Size:  2.62 MB

Chucked on the old Civic wheel to roll her around with.
Name:  v6qlpBU.jpg
Size:  2.54 MB

Went ahead and installed the DC2's rolling gear.
Name:  0zpVoTT.jpg
Size:  2.34 MB

One of my teggy blades installed. I like the look of these on the EG.
Name:  4g35np3.jpg
Size:  2.26 MB

And she's back on the ground! All ready to be rolled out into the driveway tomorrow for an engine bay cleaning. The wheel gap on stock suspension with no engine is pretty hilarious.
Name:  N4Qb92L.jpg
Size:  4.89 MB

So yeah, got quite a lot done today, in just an afternoon. More to come soon.

Last edited by Custard; 06-22-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Nice work - you are tearing it up!

I saw a charcoal can on the firewall - is that the Civic (carby) can, or Teggy? Just wondering if you know how you are going to hook up your evap lines yet. I was looking for the 2-way valve back on the tank, but not sure what it looks like.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

With the tank and lines in I was able to finally install the DC2 subframe.

So yeah, got quite a lot done today, in just an afternoon. More to come soon.
I see the brace!

And yes, you did get a lot done...

Why use the DC2 column and not the Civic steering column?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw a charcoal can on the firewall - is that the Civic (carby) can, or Teggy? Just wondering if you know how you are going to hook up your evap lines yet. I was looking for the 2-way valve back on the tank, but not sure what it looks like.
In that picture it's the original carby can, but today I swapped over the Teggy's. The evap will be hooked up exactly as it was on the Integra.

Why use the DC2 column and not the Civic steering column?
Why not? If it fits I'll swap it!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I was looking for the 2-way valve back on the tank, but not sure what it looks like.
Ha, I wondered if you'd see these pics, because they are great for showing the two-way valve and other plumbing of the fuel tank. Here's an annotated image:

The new two-way valve I just purchased looks like the one on the tank on the right. The yellow lines are input/output to the two-way valve, with the yellow line + arrow head being the path to the fuel vent hardline that connects to the charcoal canister up front.

BTW- thanks for all the pictures along the way in this thread Custard. They are great! Really looking forward to seeing the engine back in there.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wxman94ej1
Ha, I wondered if you'd see these pics, because they are great for showing the two-way valve and other plumbing of the fuel tank. Here's an annotated image:

The new two-way valve I just purchased looks like the one on the tank on the right. The yellow lines are input/output to the two-way valve, with the yellow line + arrow head being the path to the fuel vent hardline that connects to the charcoal canister up front.

BTW- thanks for all the pictures along the way in this thread Custard. They are great! Really looking forward to seeing the engine back in there.
Your informational paint illustrations are appreciated!

Actually today I just about got the engine in. It's sitting in there with the two side mounts in and the rear not quite lined up. Got quite a bit done with just the early afternoon before work. I have a whole day free tomorrow - I'll post a good update tomorrow night.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

In that picture it's the original carby can, but today I swapped over the Teggy's. The evap will be hooked up exactly as it was on the Integra.

Why not? If it fits I'll swap it!
Is the Teggy can bigger than the Civic/carby can? Just wondering if everything will fit?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by wxman94ej1

Awesome, thanks! I was wondering if you would tune in. Thanks for the photo edits!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

Your informational paint illustrations are appreciated!

I have a whole day free tomorrow - I'll post a good update tomorrow night.
You have an entire day, so that probably means you will be doing hot laps in your new B18C Civic by tomorrow night, eh?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of posting, I've been both lazy and sick. I've got a lot done since I last updated though. I actually wrote up a nice update last night and then lost it and gave up.

The engine is in. I also got the axles in and swapped the Integra's front brake lines in. I haven't got the torque mounts in because I'm waiting on grabbing a pair from my step brother. Basically, I made up some poly mounts for my last Integra and sold it to him. Now he's sick of the vibration and is swapping in some standard mounts and giving me the more solid ones back.
Name:  PbJWDbH.jpg
Size:  2.55 MB

A package arrived - exciting! It's like Christmas every time. It's my shiny new eBay radiator. Three rows for use with 32mm hose.
Name:  ch4sQqB.jpg
Size:  4.44 MB

Here's a porny shot I took because the lighting was right.
Name:  0ZjAbKT.jpg
Size:  3.80 MB

All hooked up!
Name:  2HX8siV.jpg
Size:  4.80 MB

I got the shifter installed. After having to remove the shifter from my first Integra I went out and bought an air hammer to deal with the infamous bitch pin. Now it takes me 30 seconds to get the thing in or out. I have found that while these Hondas are largely very easy to work on, there are a few things that can really set you back if you don't know what you're doing.
Name:  uJxV9NC.jpg
Size:  2.09 MB

I swapped out my old leaky clutch slave cylinder. This is what it looked like when I popped the boot off. That's supposed to be a dust shield - it's not for keeping the fluid in!
Name:  VNQlry2.jpg
Size:  2.80 MB

I had to swap out the interior harness, or whatever it's called - the one that runs from the fuse box junction back to the fuel pump and tail lights. The Civic's interior harness doesn't have the connections for the fuel pump, so it had to go! This wasn't too big of a pain, really, but all this loom swapping makes me wish I started with an EFI car... I'd have been done years ago!
Name:  ZpsjPG2.jpg
Size:  916.6 KB

Because the Integra has two little access holes for both the pump and the fuel level sender, I had to join them back up for use in the Civic. In the Integra the ABS wiring is also part of this, so I cut those plugs off and tucked the wires away. This is what I ended up with. Looks alright if I say so myself.
Name:  N0gde2y.jpg
Size:  4.89 MB

I put the HVAC gear back in the interior. It's starting to look a bit more complete again.
Name:  FvjJPIu.jpg
Size:  4.82 MB

I pulled the harnesses from both dashboards because I have to basically adapt the Integra's dash harness to work with the switches and cluster in the Civic's dash. I've swapped the plugs over for the hazard switch, the clock, and the dimmer. I will adapt it to the EG's cluster later as I don't have a tacho one yet, so I'll just be using the Integra's cluster. Looks like the only thing that won't work will be the rear window demister. I have read that the Integra's switch has a timer while the Civic's timer is built into the fuse box or something. I'll probably just zip tie the Integra's switch up in the dash somewhere that I can reach for the rare occasion that I need it. Here are the two harnesses for comparison. I'm glad the Integra's harness doesn't have totally butchered head unit wiring like the Civic's.
Name:  04owAKU.jpg
Size:  2.52 MB

I went out and procured an assortment of fluids.
Name:  TvGrhsK.jpg
Size:  4.79 MB

The car is running now, too!

Last edited by Custard; 06-22-2017 at 05:39 AM.

Quick Reply: My EG hatch B18C swap build