Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Code 73 victims or "Random Cylinder Misfire", got a question for you.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Code 73 victims, got a question for you.....

So for all those that have gotten a Code 73 or a "Random Cylinder Misfire #(insert number)" code, what did you do to resolve it?

1. Just reset the ECU.
2. Change Spark Plugs and/or wires.
3. Change dist cap and/or rotor.
4. Replace the fuel injector associated with the code.
5. Other, explain.

What were your symptoms, if any, prior to getting the CEL for Code 73 or similar?

I got a Code 73 a couple weeeks ago. Sometimes when I turn on the car, it will start to shake violently for a couple seconds and then idles fine as if nothing had happened, and now I am starting to smell some gas. My gas mileage has gotten a little bad and there is a slight hesitation when I give it gas after I just started the car.

I have come to the conclusion that is the fuel injector #3, hence Code 73. So if you have any experiences to share, please do so. This can be the start of a very informative matter, the infamous "Random Cylinder Misfire" code.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Code 73 victims, got a question for you..... (EL Vap133)

If you think injector 3 is bad, start the vehicle and unplug the injector. If there is any change in idle thats not your immediate problem. You might want to pull the rail and make sure the injectors are not covered with crap.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Code 73 victims, got a question for you..... (tx_ej8_49)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tx_ej8_49 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you think injector 3 is bad, start the vehicle and unplug the injector. If there is any change in idle thats not your immediate problem. You might want to pull the rail and make sure the injectors are not covered with crap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Gotcha, I also forgot to mention there is a ticking noise coming from the engine. I know it is not my "LMAs" since the car is a stock non-vtec sohc engine. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That tick could be the misfire you are hearing....just a thought. Or maybe the injector.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tx_ej8_49)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tx_ej8_49 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That tick could be the misfire you are hearing....just a thought. Or maybe the injector.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll check it out soon, thanks!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tx_ej8_49)

Anybody else?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (EL Vap133)

i would go with checking out injector 3 honestly. if you smell fuel, hear a tick, and your car hesistates, im pretty sure that would fix at least some of your problems
Old 09-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (electron_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by electron_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go with checking out injector 3 honestly. if you smell fuel, hear a tick, and your car hesistates, im pretty sure that would fix at least some of your problems</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks!

I also wanted to see who else has had this problem and what they have done to resolve it.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a cool thread..because I had the same problem 3 days ago, and drivability problems prevented me to go anywhere.

I had also washed my engine a few days prior.

Day 1 - started to feel shakiness while driving; it sorta felt like the clutch was slippen under full throttle; problem ignored.

Day 2 - I can't rev past 3-5k without bogging and drivability issues are starting to happen. however, after 5k RPM, the car feels fine, but it lacks the normal power. Throwing codes galore. I was getting at least 3 misfiring codes while driving. 73 and I think 74. It was flashing while I was driving and counting.

Day 3 - Took out the intake, sprayed the thorottle body with the Vavoline Throttle Cleaner and replaced with use/backup plugs. The iridiums are now FOULED; I had gas drip on cylinder number 3, when I pulled the plug; all plugs are now black. Started it up with new/backup plugs and it sounded great. Quick fix? Nope. It boggled while in first gear, and I was smiling, thinking that it's fixed.

Day 4 - Had to replace the easy stuff first, so I bought some kragen brand spark plug wires, and it doesn't cover up the galleys, but it works for now; I'm going to return them. This solved the problem, which I am super lucky. Rested the ECU, and codes are no longer here.

I also cleaned out the MAP sensor as one of my first actions.

Thread watched, as this could be a possibility of numerous issues that can cause this misfiring.

I thought I needed a valve adjustment, or had a bad distributer, bad injectors, bent valve, and random crap.

I doubt that this post helped, but it fixed my boggling/misfiring issues. Good Luck
Old 09-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b 1 6 a 2)

Awesome, thanks for your reply! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for as an addition to this thread.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Davis Photography

My problem was my ignition timing was off. get an inductive timing light and check your timing if you haven't already.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DrewMD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrewMD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My problem was my ignition timing was off. get an inductive timing light and check your timing if you haven't already.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the crrent status? Did you determine the cause?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b 1 6 a 2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b 1 6 a 2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's the crrent status? Did you determine the cause?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not yet, I printed out the troubleshooting for the code 73 I got, it says the fuel injector can be one of the causes of it. I will try and make some time on Saturday to see if that fixes my problem.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:37 AM
GO GIANTS!

Had this problem last week on my buddies GSR. Simply changed the spark plugs and wires but that didnt fix it. He was way over due anyway.

Installed new injectors and problem fixed. Also make sure your wires are down all the way. I know that could throw a code also but the ticking you are hearing is mostlikly the injector IMO.

good luck
Old 09-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Had this problem last week on my buddies GSR. Simply changed the spark plugs and wires but that didnt fix it. He was way over due anyway.

Installed new injectors and problem fixed. Also make sure your wires are down all the way. I know that could throw a code also but the ticking you are hearing is mostlikly the injector IMO.

good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm having the same problem on a friends car. codes are:

Cyl. 1,3 & 4 misfiring
random misfire
and manufacturer ingition control system or misfire.

just replaced the plugs, cap, rotor, and coil. i really don't have a way to get to the injectors at the moment.

he said it happened suddenly when driving on the expressway - car just started bogging and would not stay on while idling...

before i go ripping apart the fuel system... any ideas?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Code 73 victims, got a question for you..... (EL Vap133)

Good post , i have the same exact problem on my 98 lx (completely stock). Have changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing belt. Getting lower gas mileage than i think i should (24-26 mpg ), and also have hesitation when first starting and the ticking noise. Seems like injectors would be the logical fix. Bought the car with 218 000 miles so i guess its due.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Davis Photography

Default Re: (vtecnique69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecnique69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm having the same problem on a friends car. codes are:

Cyl. 1,3 & 4 misfiring
random misfire
and manufacturer ingition control system or misfire.

just replaced the plugs, cap, rotor, and coil. i really don't have a way to get to the injectors at the moment.

he said it happened suddenly when driving on the expressway - car just started bogging and would not stay on while idling...

before i go ripping apart the fuel system... any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would get a compression test and check your ignition timing.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a 91 crx with a b16 and after running it kinda hard it shoots a code 73 but then it goes away after i turn off the car and turn it back on. Any clue what this could be and sorry i know this is del sol/civics but this is the only thread i could find
Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (cars101)

My 98 CR-V was misfiring sometimes. To fix it, I changed spark plugs, plug wires, dist, cap and rotor. Then found out it was just a bad connection in the wiring that goes to the injectors.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Code 73 victims or "Random Cylinder Misfire", got a question for you.....

ok. ill add my little problem here too!

car: 99 Civic Ex. STOCK other than gutted cat, headers and 2 1/4 pipping.
problem: code 72, 73 and 74.

havent done anything to it yet since i just got it a few days ago. car runs
fine. but when you rev it up to like 1,500-2k rpm it shakes a little bit.

i dont hear a ticking noise but ill double check tomorrow so i can rule out the injectors
Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Code 73 victims or "Random Cylinder Misfire", got a question for you.....

TTT cuz i need this fixed
Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT

spark plugs?
spark plug wires?
fuel injectors?
timing?
what can it be?!
dont want to spend much money. wanna identify the problem and fix that
Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up

Quick Reply: Code 73 victims or "Random Cylinder Misfire", got a question for you.....