Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

vin # an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vin # an issue?

Did some searching and couldn't find anything I was looking for. I'm just curious if not having a vin # on an engine is going to affect passing tech or whatever qaulifies me to race (sorry very new to road racing). For example, would I be disqualified for not being able to prove that my parts are legit?

I don't know if a question like this has been asked yet, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to get some kind of knowlege on the subject.

- Jay
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: vin # an issue?

Originally Posted by JH4DC231
Did some searching and couldn't find anything I was looking for. I'm just curious if not having a vin # on an engine is going to affect passing tech or whatever qaulifies me to race (sorry very new to road racing). For example, would I be disqualified for not being able to prove that my parts are legit?

I don't know if a question like this has been asked yet, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to get some kind of knowlege on the subject.

- Jay
Hey there Mr Jay... Passing tech.. what sanctioning body are you wanting to run in?
A vin on an engine isnt likely to disqualify you for anything. You dont have to have the exact engine in the car you drive that came with it.
Classes are mainly determined by many factors, too many to list.
SCCA
NASA
TT/TA
AUTOX

Each group has their CCR's (rules for classes) so to speak.
Each group has a website that has such rules listed.
Find out what group you are running with then read their CCR's to determine what class your car is in.
Help us help you, more information on your car please, and yes if by some chance you say your car has this, and it gets inspected and something is found to the contrary you can be disqualifed for running parts that arent allowed in your particular class.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Jay

Originally Posted by dirty19
Hey there Mr Jay... Passing tech.. what sanctioning body are you wanting to run in?
A vin on an engine isnt likely to disqualify you for anything. You dont have to have the exact engine in the car you drive that came with it.
Classes are mainly determined by many factors, too many to list.
SCCA
NASA
TT/TA
AUTOX

Each group has their CCR's (rules for classes) so to speak.
Each group has a website that has such rules listed.
Find out what group you are running with then read their CCR's to determine what class your car is in.
Help us help you, more information on your car please, and yes if by some chance you say your car has this, and it gets inspected and something is found to the contrary you can be disqualifed for running parts that arent allowed in your particular class.

Thanks dirty19,

I'm going to be purchasing a k24 block that doesn't have a vin # on it. I guess I could trust the word of my seller that he purchased it from someone who bought it from a junkyard.

I was just concerned about the possibility of having a stolen block in my DC2 built for nasa or scca, and then getting disqualified for not being able to confirm that the block isn't stolen goods.

- Jay
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

I think the validity of proving its not a hot engine is the least of your worries when it comes to tech. I have never seen a inspection require you have matching vins and paperwork to prove it.
Unless it happens to be hot, and you have the police at your front door. Lets hope that isnt the case.
What's the donor car of the K24 anyway?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Jay

What's the donor car of the K24 anyway?
The engine is a k24a1, which I believe is from a late model crv. I'm going to put it into a dc2 integra.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

The engine is a k24a1, which I believe is from a late model crv. I'm going to put it into a dc2 integra.
The K series that are out of the crv and accord are dirt cheap and make decent hp too.
Honda Tuning had an article on those engines last month.
160hp rated isnt bad numbers from a newer engine.
I still love my B though.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Motor without a vin is ok...as long as you have the block designation and number below that.

Last edited by Battle2.0Eg; 08-20-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Jay

The K series that are out of the crv and accord are dirt cheap and make decent hp too.
Honda Tuning had an article on those engines last month.
160hp rated isnt bad numbers from a newer engine.
I still love my B though.
You're right! Their VERY cheap. I'm getting this one with bad pistons and rods for a steal. I'm going to attempt to install an 06 k24a2 rod, crank and 09 pistons as well. I'd love to keep the bottom all oem. Debating on wether I should document the whole thing on HT or the other forum.

Originally Posted by Battle2.0Eg
Motor without a vin is ok...as long as you have the block designation and number below that.
Ah, more confirmation. THANKS!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What if the block number isn't even there? When I bought my gsr block the b18c1 plate was shaved off. Guess they didn't want someone to know what it was? You can still verify it's a b18c block though because it has the "p72" casting marks still on it in a few places. It doesn't matter now because I'm just doing HPDEs but how would this affect me if I wanted to do HC?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

You're right! Their VERY cheap. I'm getting this one with bad pistons and rods for a steal. I'm going to attempt to install an 06 k24a2 rod, crank and 09 pistons as well. I'd love to keep the bottom all oem. Debating on wether I should document the whole thing on HT or the other forum.

Ah, more confirmation. THANKS!
Good Idea... make sure you read the CCR's carefully before modding the engine.
Damn Eric, what time did you get up this morning??
I was sound asleep when you posted!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GSRCRXsi
What if the block number isn't even there? When I bought my gsr block the b18c1 plate was shaved off. Guess they didn't want someone to know what it was? You can still verify it's a b18c block though because it has the "p72" casting marks still on it in a few places. It doesn't matter now because I'm just doing HPDEs but how would this affect me if I wanted to do HC?

I just read through the ccr and hc rules and don't see anything that would make the car fail a tech inspection due to this. Seems like knowing what engine it is is the only thing that matters for classing purposes. And you can verify it's a b18c from the p72 casting marks. Maybe I missed something? That's what it looks like to me.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

2-3 of my friends dont have vin's and they have never had a problem with tech. I dont even think they look.
it's not like its a safty issue lol