Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

HPDE in the northeast?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HPDE in the northeast?

I know we have a ton of good tracks out here in the NY,PA.NJ,MASS area but when ever i got out i never see any other hondas. Always out there taking vettes in the corners then having them blow by me in the straights.(my B16 cant keep up lol) Anyway this thread is mainly to find other honda owners who would be interested in doing some HPDE events. thought itd be fun to meet up and have some fun out on track.

heres a pic of my car at Pocono raceway!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: HPDE in the northeast?

Ontario, Canada (Markham) has a track that has older Hondas in it.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Ontario, Canada (Markham) has a track that has older Hondas in it.
sounds fun but a little too far for me.. im in the tristate area NY,NJ,CT, PA. but ill keep that in mind for when i start traveling. thanks
Old 08-28-2018, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

we have 8-10 cars that run honda challenge with nasa in the northeast, plus another 6-10 in our jv ranks waiting on comp school or getting cars up to race spec. check nasane.com, our next weekend is 9/28-29 at the glen.

this is my shitbox

Old 08-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did a NASA hpde in june and there were a few hondas there ..some s2000s, my integra, newer civics and i saw a crx or two i believe

most events are indeed full of bmw or the v8 boomer crowd

but at the 3 track days i did this season (each with different clubs/groups) so far there was always atleast one other honda

Last edited by sjg88; 08-28-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
we have 8-10 cars that run honda challenge with nasa in the northeast, plus another 6-10 in our jv ranks waiting on comp school or getting cars up to race spec. check nasane.com, our next weekend is 9/28-29 at the glen.

this is my shitbox

Nice setup! still GSR drive train? Ive looked into the honda challenge on the site and also videos on youtube. maybe ill be able to make it up to the glenn to check it out first hand. That jv group sounds interesting, defiantly something im going to look further into!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically stock gsr, slightly ported head, makes 175whp, type r trans and weighs 2450 with me in it. that pic was before a nice out of class bmw caved in my left front fender and ruined my race.

not sure what glen attendance will be. championships are at COTA in 2 weeks so we'll see who survives.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

NASA NE is your best bet if you want to find other Hondas... but they may not be in your group. The Honda track game was at a lull for several years but it is making a come back... especially in the NE and MA.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What generation Hondas / Acuras do you guys see at DE days?

I see a lot of 80's and 90's Hondas all the time at SCCA club races (they're slowly taking over Super Touring Under and are some of the last men standing in Improved Touring), but all of them are caged and trailered racing cars. Curious if the more sensible track day crowd are bringing turbo Civics to the track or if the majority of them are buying track toys that are old enough to vote and drink.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

most of them are old enough to vote and drink... because you want to be able to write it off if you bin it. I know a guy running a new Si... he gets track day insurance every weekend for it.

most of the guys that come with turbo Hondas end up building for a race class or moving toward a lower power, more reliable power plant.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kaan
most of them are old enough to vote and drink... because you want to be able to write it off if you bin it. I know a guy running a new Si... he gets track day insurance every weekend for it.
Well that's actually why I ask. Our beloved 90's and early 2000's cars are getting so old that parts are starting to get harder to come by. I have a door and a rear hatch off of one of Matt Bookler's old cars because collision parts for our CRX are so hard to come by. Same thing for the Prelude. Paid nearly $200 for a used front fender and was lucky to find one at that price that didn't come with dents.

As much as I love my early 90's cars I'm thinking of moving up to a newer chassis just to make sure I can afford to get spares (you know, in case of another "lapse of judgement" on my part). I could get into an FD chassis Civic or a decent condition late 2000's Accord / TL for about the same that I paid for my Prelude and have a fairly fun DE car to play with.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd be happy that Karcepts is making front hubs for the CRX. I actually sold mine because of the very issue you are talking about (but I also couldn't get hubs).

There were a million more civics and integras made when you look at Preludes or CRXs. but they too will dry up eventually. I'll always be behind the curve and i'll buy a newer civic for a race car when it is also 20 years old lol.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HPDE days at Englishtown, NJ always have a decent Honda turnout I've noticed. But I think the NASA stuff is really where it's at.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boxedfox
Well that's actually why I ask. Our beloved 90's and early 2000's cars are getting so old that parts are starting to get harder to come by. I have a door and a rear hatch off of one of Matt Bookler's old cars because collision parts for our CRX are so hard to come by. Same thing for the Prelude. Paid nearly $200 for a used front fender and was lucky to find one at that price that didn't come with dents.

As much as I love my early 90's cars I'm thinking of moving up to a newer chassis just to make sure I can afford to get spares (you know, in case of another "lapse of judgement" on my part). I could get into an FD chassis Civic or a decent condition late 2000's Accord / TL for about the same that I paid for my Prelude and have a fairly fun DE car to play with.
FYI, theres a fa5 sedan with 200K+ miles on it in SC i believe for like $4000..has clearcoat issues but it looks like the perfect track car donor
Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sjg88
FYI, theres a fa5 sedan with 200K+ miles on it in SC i believe for like $4000..has clearcoat issues but it looks like the perfect track car donor
I'm helping one of my friends convert his 08 Si into an SCCA Touring 3 car. Cage going in this winter as long as he doesn't go off and blow his motor on another motorcycle first.

Anyway, back to portablenarc's original point, I'll join you guys if schedules align. NJMP is my current go-to, but Pocono is close by and I can day trip Summit Point or Lime Rock.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the feedback guys! looks like theres some pretty good interest still out there. By the looks of it ill be attending the SCDA NJMP lightning day on september 10th. Just waiting on the OK from work for the day off.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chris_Bye
The HPDE days at Englishtown, NJ always have a decent Honda turnout I've noticed. But I think the NASA stuff is really where it's at.
ive watched your videos before! looks like ill have to keep an eye out for the next event.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m planning on being at the Track Night in America at Pocono September 17th after the Fall Weatherly Hillclimb September 15 & 16. If any of you have time trial legal roll bars/cages you could come do the hillclimb too.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyway, back to portablenarc's original point, I'll join you guys if schedules align. NJMP is my current go-to, but Pocono is close by and I can day trip Summit Point or Lime Rock.
our last regional race is the second weekend of october (i think) at NJMP. were losing cars bad this year, 2 guys lost motors (one is on his 3rd motor in the last year and a half and combined has done like 10 laps across the 3...hes cursed), im down 30 psi of compression on one cylinder so im crossinging my fingers it lasts the season...im 3rd in points
Old 08-30-2018, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

our last regional race is the second weekend of october (i think) at NJMP. were losing cars bad this year, 2 guys lost motors (one is on his 3rd motor in the last year and a half and combined has done like 10 laps across the 3...hes cursed), im down 30 psi of compression on one cylinder so im crossinging my fingers it lasts the season...im 3rd in points
If you're down 30 psi already those rings are either worn out or the piston walls are already scored. As long as you have good consistent oil pressure I'd say just run the motor as is. You're going to have to hone the cylinder walls and rebuild the bottom end anyway. Best case you use the opportunity to go .040 over with new rings. Worst case you're down a bunch of power but you'll still have a running car.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is my shitbox

On a related note, you've got a pretty good looking car. Have you ever considered running USTCC?

They're sanctioned by NASA so your license carries over and your car would fit well in the Sportsman class. They also picked up the factory support from Honda when they decided to leave Honda Challenge and have sponsor support similar to what HC had in its prime.

I did a little bit of Racehero stalking and you and I run pretty similar lap times at NJMP. If nothing else I'm pretty confident that I could give you a good race.

Last edited by boxedfox; 08-30-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 08-31-2018, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Come to a NASA event and you'll be with the fam.

Do a weekend event. It's $$$ but if you come and talk to us (honda challenge) we will get you some of the best instruction for our cars.

camp out over night, drink/party with us, then drive the next day.

Oh and hi nate!
Old 08-31-2018, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dilbones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKRzQyZ1Irc&t=51s

Come to a NASA event and you'll be with the fam.

Do a weekend event. It's $$$ but if you come and talk to us (honda challenge) we will get you some of the best instruction for our cars.

camp out over night, drink/party with us, then drive the next day.

Oh and hi nate!

Sounds good to me! I just checked the site and it looks like the October event (12-14) at NJMP is doable for me so maybe ill see you guys out there.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you see my car come hang. Just PM me your name and stuff so I know who you are.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're down 30 psi already those rings are either worn out or the piston walls are already scored. As long as you have good consistent oil pressure I'd say just run the motor as is. You're going to have to hone the cylinder walls and rebuild the bottom end anyway. Best case you use the opportunity to go .040 over with new rings. Worst case you're down a bunch of power but you'll still have a running car.
sad part is the motor was "fresh" when i bought the car, and ive only put two seasons on it. ive got a back up block i need to get to work building, but weve had an almost 3 month break from racing and ive spent a lot of time doing everything but that LOL (new cooling system, pulled 60 pounds out, new front brake kit etc) . going by the data i dont seem to be down on power which is odd

On a related note, you've got a pretty good looking car. Have you ever considered running USTCC?

I did a little bit of Racehero stalking and you and I run pretty similar lap times at NJMP. If nothing else I'm pretty confident that I could give you a good race.
i know next to nothing about ustcc, this is also only my second season of w2w. the car is not fully up to H2 spec yet actually...still some work to do. Our fastest guy who is a multi time national champ in H2 runs consistently 2-3 seconds faster than me. I should be at least a full second faster on most tracks we run.

either way, to the OP - there is definitely a solid group of us racing old *** hondas in the northeast lol. come to a nasa event, you wont be disappointed. i had the unfortunate luck to have to meet with the race director after our lime rock race last month...he was shocked to be speaking to someone from honda challenge. he said typically were known for just bumping into each and then before he can even get over to talk to whoever was involved weve collectively fixed all the cars and are laughing over beers lol...that was about the best description ive heard of the group yet.

Quick Reply: HPDE in the northeast?