Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

I need a shift dinger

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need a shift dinger

In fear of overreving damage.

I would like a shift light, except one that makes a ding-ding noise or a buzzer, since I just cant imagine myself seeing a shift light when Im looking way ahead on a track... Is there such a product available or a way to make one?
Old 07-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I need a shift dinger (hatch2k)

2G RX-7s had them standard, have no clue how portable they are. I do think you underestimate your ability to pick up a light in your perifery and maybe underestimate just how loud a buzzer would have to be for track use - especially w/ helmet.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need a shift dinger (phat-S)

I forgot about the helmet thing... I cant hear anything in my helmet...I look at some lights.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Defi-Link has a warning beep that can be plugged into the M-warning indicator to give you a light as well. The thing is, I don't know how you'd program it into the control unit without either a Defi Tach or one of the displays. The VSD heads up displays have shift lights in them, so does the OLED display, but for just a shift light, they're mega expensive (they are no matter what). You'd probably do better with an electrical whiz friend, an autometer shift light and a trip to radio shack... then figure out how to make a circuit that makes some kind of noise when you hit the given voltage for 6700 RPM.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (Boilermaker1)

I can't imagine it would be very difficult to wire a little piezo buzzer in parallel with any shift light.

http://www.radioshack.com/prod...3-057

105dB is not what I would call quiet...
Old 07-11-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re:

So how much interest is there for this thing? I'll get a few samples and see what I could come up with. Since the circuit is basically designed around a sequencial shift light, I guess it would serve both purposes. If I did make it, it would probably be quite cheap, but then again I can't afford to put much time into the presentation, so it won't be as nice as a commercial unit.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (eliktronik)

Im interested, elektronik. I am handy enough to build the unit into the car's interior...(lots of blank spots in hondas) a volume **** or on-off would be really cool too.

I can solder, read and write a check.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Re: (hatch2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im interested, elektronik. I am handy enough to build the unit into the car's interior...(lots of blank spots in hondas) a volume **** or on-off would be really cool too.

I can solder, read and write a check.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In that case, think about building a case for the sequential rev lights. I'm assuming that you don't have one, and if that's the case it's stupid easy to tack on some led's and have a sequential tach while you're at it. Otherwise, a plain jane case would work, with a few slots in order to hear the buzzer. Adjustment for the engine speed @ buzz, and buzzer volume are of course necessary.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: (eliktronik)

my fields boxer-ii unit that i use in my h1 racecar has a rpm warning sound that you can set to any rpm. i have mine set at 8k; when racing, even with a loud racecar, i can hear the "meeeeeeeeeeep" sound it makes (its mounted right beside my hvac controls).
Old 07-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Todd Reid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Todd Reid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my fields boxer-ii unit that i use in my h1 racecar has a rpm warning sound that you can set to any rpm. i have mine set at 8k; when racing, even with a loud racecar, i can hear the "meeeeeeeeeeep" sound it makes (its mounted right beside my hvac controls).</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds perfect, where can I buy one?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 AM
New User

On an 02 Civic the shift dinger could just be the factory rev limiter that already is in place to keep you from over revving? It sounds like this da.da.da.da.da.da.da.da.da.da. You will also feel the instant power loss.

Am I missing something?

Scott
Old 07-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need a shift dinger (phat-S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phat-S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2G RX-7s had them standard, have no clue how portable they are. I do think you underestimate your ability to pick up a light in your perifery and maybe underestimate just how loud a buzzer would have to be for track use - especially w/ helmet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

RX-7s and their buzzers.

They had one for RPM, set way too low (for racing). And an oil warning, set way too low (for racing). Around the caurosel at Summit, between the chainsaw motor, the "ding-ding" of the rpm warning, and the "meeeep" of the oil warning - you'd be sure to get a headache.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (celica73)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by celica73 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On an 02 Civic the shift dinger could just be the factory rev limiter that already is in place to keep you from over revving? It sounds like this da.da.da.da.da.da.da.da.da.da. You will also feel the instant power loss.

Am I missing something?

Scott</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have hondata, and the Rev limit is raised to 7700.

A few guys have experienced some longevity issues with hondata and the stock A3 valve springs/retainers, so I'm opting to a shift alert at 7400 or so in leiu of upgrading the valve springs to A2 or S2K springs (STS rules prohibit internal upgrades)
Old 07-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how about setting up an in-helmet LED shif light setup . . . . I think some motorcycle guys use them. If you do it right they shouldn't obstruct your view, but when they light up you'll know about it.

EDIT: Looks like SPA has them:

------------------

Nology too:
http://www.nology.com/shiftlight.html