Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know?

im going to streets of willow for the first time, i have a 96 civic hatch with a turbo b16a with ls pistons so im 8.3:1, lsd trans, 6puck clutch, i have koni shocks 450/250 coilovers, and sway bars front and rear 24/22 and nitto nt01 tires. before i go i just need to put on a 1400cfm fan and a few gallons of 110 to be safe, if anybody has advice PLEASE give it, its my first time going.

also any advice against NOT going since i do have cast pistons feel free to say so. im at 14psi right now, i might keep it there and just pull timing for safety via aem ems.

i have searched so please dont yell at me
Old 11-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (blinx9900)

how big of a radiator are you running?

brakes?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (RagingAngel)

tighten all your flange bolts and double check all your bolts are tight. Make sure you have adequate cooling and maybe turn down the boost a little bit.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (RagingAngel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RagingAngel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how big of a radiator are you running?

brakes? </TD></TR></TABLE>

aluminum halfsize 2" thick radiator.

brakes i have integra size rotors up front and integra discs in the back with cobalt friction GT sports at all four corners and Ate fluid.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOMKID &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tighten all your flange bolts and double check all your bolts are tight. Make sure you have adequate cooling and maybe turn down the boost a little bit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ty, will do, im gonna take a laptop with me, im gonna log it and see how it does on the first 2 laps, if its looking shaky i'll drop boost to 12psi.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 AM
Suspetise...

Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and nitto nt01 tires </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have a way of putting something else on (a street tire) do that. R-comps for your very first time are a bad way to start.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (Stinkycheezmonky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you have a way of putting something else on (a street tire) do that. R-comps for your very first time are a bad way to start.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, my first time out I GREATLY appreciated the feedback my street tires gave me.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (Baggy Spandex)

don't forget to leave your ego at home.

Don't be surpised if you get smoked by a chick in a miata.

Things to bring:

1.) Hat
2.) Sunglasses
3.) Chair
4.) Tons of Gatoraide/water
5.) Snacks to eat
6.) Sunscreen

Stay on street tires as long as you can.

Make sure to check your guages often
If anything starts to sound/act funny, don't hesitate to pull in.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (Stinkycheezmonky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you have a way of putting something else on (a street tire) do that. R-comps for your very first time are a bad way to start.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baggy Spandex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, my first time out I GREATLY appreciated the feedback my street tires gave me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well ive been rockin R comps for over 2 years now and im pretty used to the feedback... i feel when they understeer and they've saved my *** in the canyons a few times when ive made mistakes... still think i should run street tires?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't forget to leave your ego at home.

Don't be surpised if you get smoked by a chick in a miata.

Things to bring:

1.) Hat
2.) Sunglasses
3.) Chair
4.) Tons of Gatoraide/water
5.) Snacks to eat
6.) Sunscreen

Stay on street tires as long as you can.

Make sure to check your guages often
If anything starts to sound/act funny, don't hesitate to pull in.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ty and ty to everyone for the info/advice
Old 11-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well ive been rockin R comps for over 2 years now and im pretty used to the feedback... i feel when they understeer and they've saved my *** in the canyons a few times when ive made mistakes... still think i should run street tires?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to criticize you, or act like I know a ton about it, but I think you should go into it thinking its nothing like "canyon driving".

I don't condone hard driving on public roads, and I'm sure most people here won't either, but it's neither here nor there.

I will tell you that no matter what you feel or learn about your car on public roads, it won't compare to the things you will feel or learn about your car on a controlled track and environment.

I would strongly recommend street tires. When you're on a warmup lap and don't notice the possibility of an off-camber corner or something like that, you can be caught way off guard with the way the car handles when you start pushing it more.

Please save the hard driving for events like this. I don't want to see another "my car is wrecked" or "my friend is in the hospital" thread on H-T.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (Baggy Spandex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baggy Spandex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not to criticize you, or act like I know a ton about it, but I think you should go into it thinking its nothing like "canyon driving".

I don't condone hard driving on public roads, and I'm sure most people here won't either, but it's neither here nor there.

I will tell you that no matter what you feel or learn about your car on public roads, it won't compare to the things you will feel or learn about your car on a controlled track and environment.

I would strongly recommend street tires. When you're on a warmup lap and don't notice the possibility of an off-camber corner or something like that, you can be caught way off guard with the way the car handles when you start pushing it more.

Please save the hard driving for events like this. I don't want to see another "my car is wrecked" or "my friend is in the hospital" thread on H-T. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no worries, i agree with you 100% and understand were your comming from. i dont smash through the canyons at 60+mph i keep it light, inface i never even get to 5000rpm. im way to scared to go over the edge, thats exactly why i wanna do this ty for the advice
Old 11-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no worries, i agree with you 100% and understand were your comming from. i dont smash through the canyons at 60+mph i keep it light, inface i never even get to 5000rpm. im way to scared to go over the edge, thats exactly why i wanna do this ty for the advice </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure And thanks for understanding and not being a jerk, as I was not trying to be one either

It was a totally different experience my first time out. Amazing, but different than anything I've done in a car.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you've got the appropriate safety gear for you and your car. The track and club you're running with might have their own requirements.

It would suck to have to go home because you don't have shoes that cover the ankle or a helmet that's a year too old, etc.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baggy Spandex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It was a totally different experience my first time out. Amazing, but different than anything I've done in a car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly what im hoping for!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well ive been rockin R comps for over 2 years now and im pretty used to the feedback... i feel when they understeer and they've saved my *** in the canyons a few times when ive made mistakes... still think i should run street tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Rs will be fine. Just work on being smooth and learning the line. The harder you try to go fast, the more you'll screw up.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

aluminum halfsize 2" thick radiator.

brakes i have integra size rotors up front and integra discs in the back with cobalt friction GT sports at all four corners and Ate fluid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You may want a more aggressive pad than the gt sport on the fronts. You might be carrying a lot of speed at the end of the straights. A little redline water wetter might be a good idea as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ty, will do, im gonna take a laptop with me, im gonna log it and see how it does on the first 2 laps, if its looking shaky i'll drop boost to 12psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would recommend dropping boost before you ever go out and log it. If it looks good, turn it up a notch. Err on the side of caution. You don't wanna risk the engine or have to retire early.

You should also take an extra quart of oil. A lot of people overfill by 1/4qt before they start.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (tronic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tronic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure you've got the appropriate safety gear for you and your car. The track and club you're running with might have their own requirements.

It would suck to have to go home because you don't have shoes that cover the ankle or a helmet that's a year too old, etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. There was a guy in my club who drove 14 hours in his convertable to VIR only to drive one lap because he didn't have a roll bar.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know? (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You may want a more aggressive pad than the gt sport on the fronts. You might be carrying a lot of speed at the end of the straights. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my car is 2300lbs hopefully the gtsports wont be too bad ty for the info though, ill look into other pads just incase...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You should also take an extra quart of oil. A lot of people overfill by 1/4qt before they start.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is this to keep more oil around the pickup? cause i do have a baffled oilpan. or is it becuase some oil can get burned off from the hard driving?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
n-c

Ewww...I hate streets.

Being such a slow track my advice is to go easy on throttle. Especially since this is your fist time out. Having a turbo on a small tight track can be fun, but on the same token it can make it hard. Throttle modulation is going to be key for you. Expect a lot of slow in fast out.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Princess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: (n-c)

not that I've done any HPDE's or track days, but I've been in enough turbo hondas to know that heat is gonna be a bitch...pull boost, and leave the timing where its at...more ignition retard = higher EGT's, and that's not anything you need going any higher then it is...I'd do 7lb max and see how the car handles it, logging it of course...do anything you can to get that heat out of there is my recommendation
Old 11-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (...esteban)

Heat could be an issue. However, i ran 15 psi on my stock block y8 engine. I put in some 110 to be safe, and had a proper tune. I also had a wideband in my car and monitored it. I did run hot, however, it was due to my crappy radiator, water wetter is fantastic, use it. I also had an oil cooler, with temp guage. Do you have a water temp guage? The factory units suck, get a real one if you don't.

Like they already said, go over all your bolts, and drive smooth. The more times you go, the more confident you become, and can push it harder. Trying to get it the first time out or even the first day could end up with you off track. One of the tracks i go to has taken me about 5 trips before i finally feel comfortable pushing it the whole way. Find some guys/girls that have been there a few times, and follow them, maybe even let them know you would like too. Nothing i hate more then having some car that is ungoddly fast down the straight but i am all over them through the corners because they don't know the line. Nothing wrong with letting a slower car around you.

Oh and have fun
Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as a couple people said above,lower the boost...
not only to make sure the engine survives,but IMO the most important reason is simply that you're making way more power than a first time driver needs.

5-7psi will give you more than enough power.you should be concentrating on learning the line and being smooth-not controlling wheelspin,and trying to bring the car down from outrageous straightaway speeds.

as far as the engine itself goes,i think you'll find even low boost is pretty hard on it,and will reveal some weaknesses you need to adress.keep an eye on coolant temp and oil temp(if you have a way to).
Chris
Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coneheadsracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ...esteban &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd do 7lb max and see how the car handles it, logging it of course...</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
5-7psi will give you more than enough power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 10psi spring so thats the lowest it can go, dont forget the cr is 8.3:1 so i do need a little boost to move, at 7psi it felt like a stock b18c, and at 14.5 i made 317hp and 240tq on a dynojet on pump, so knocking it down to 10psi should take away a lot of that...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coneheadsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Do you have a water temp guage? The factory units suck, get a real one if you don't.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

aem serial data gauge ftw! reads water temp/wideband/boost/etc... i do agree the factory water temp gauge sucks. i need to get another gauge though so i dont have to keep switching through displays.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your oil and coolant after EACH run
Old 11-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

Damn he's only running 8.3:1, leave the timing and boost alone. Just put in a full tank of 110, don't mix it. Fill it up as your car will probably starve for fuel in some longer sweepers.

The Car will push in the corners. Swap those spring rates and crank up the rear tire pressure. I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-45 in the rear and 5-10psi lower in the front.

Depending on ambient temps I would prop the back of the hood up, run water and water pump lube in the cooling system (with a few drops of dish soap). You will smoke the pads. They will fade, just plan on it. Make sure you have all of your boost hoses tight and secure, also make sure your breather system is up to snuff. Run a heat range colder on the plugs and take a spare set. Carry some spare tires so you have something to drive home on if something happens.

Take a tire pressure gauge. I would run a little extra oil, maybe half quart. Keep an eye on the cooling system, but I have never had a problem. Keep an eye on your oil pressure gauge in some of the long sweepers, just to be sure.

Go slow in the beginning, you will spin if you go out and don't know the course. Made that mistake at Atlanta.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboteener)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboteener &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn he's only running 8.3:1, leave the timing and boost alone. Just put in a full tank of 110, don't mix it. Fill it up as your car will probably starve for fuel in some longer sweepers.

The Car will push in the corners. Swap those spring rates and crank up the rear tire pressure. I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-45 in the rear and 5-10psi lower in the front.

Depending on ambient temps I would prop the back of the hood up, run water and water pump lube in the cooling system (with a few drops of dish soap). You will smoke the pads. They will fade, just plan on it. Make sure you have all of your boost hoses tight and secure, also make sure your breather system is up to snuff. Run a heat range colder on the plugs and take a spare set. Carry some spare tires so you have something to drive home on if something happens.

Take a tire pressure gauge. I would run a little extra oil, maybe half quart. Keep an eye on the cooling system, but I have never had a problem. Keep an eye on your oil pressure gauge in some of the long sweepers, just to be sure.

Go slow in the beginning, you will spin if you go out and don't know the course. Made that mistake at Atlanta. </TD></TR></TABLE>

great info thanks, what do you mean by swap the spring rates?

Quick Reply: going RR next week in my stock block turbo civic, what do i need to know?