Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

COBALT: Compound Feedback Requested

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 10:02 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COBALT: Compound Feedback Requested

Honda-Tech and East Coast Honda Challenge Entrants:

For a track/race-ONLY compound (zero street use), would you consider using a compound that is rotor aggressive and with corrosive dust if:

(1) the compound had exceptional initial bite
(2) very good pad recovery times
(3) high fade resistance
(4) good modulation and release

and

(5) premium quality rotors were sold alongside the pads at a very attractive price point

I am just looking for some feedback on this matter, as we are currently beta-testing a compound which we expect to perform very well in IT-class cars, but that dyno and chemical-attribute testing has shown to be rotor aggressive and corrosive.

Again, this compound would be used ONLY in a race environment.

Thank you in advance,

Andie Lin
Old 11-01-2002, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: COBALT: Compound Feedback Requested (cobalt)

would you consider using a compound that is rotor aggressive and with corrosive dust if
Corrosive to what? The wheels? What kind of measures would have to be taken as a result?

(5) premium quality rotors were sold alongside the pads at a very attractive price point
Does this include two piece rotors?

Again, this compound would be used ONLY in a race environment.
This is very tough to answer without knowing the extremes we are talking about. It's clearly a trade off situation, but there really is no way of describing how much it chews up the rotors and how corrosive it is. My inclination is to say that yes, I would be interested, but it would depend on how inconvenient those other attributes were.

Matt
Old 11-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Wrong-Way Wang

Ya know what. Rotor aggressive is fine. Rotors are cheap. Wheels? Who cares what the wheels look like.

Sounds like a better version of Hawk Blues, which I loved for the longest time.

Warren
Old 11-01-2002, 10:30 AM
New User

Default Re: COBALT: Compound Feedback Requested (speedracer33)

Good questions, Matt.

Regarding corrosiveness, it would be corrosive to wheel finishes. If you have a set of wheels that you use only for racing, then it's probably not a issue, but I do know some people like to keep their wheels looking nice.

The rotors for OE-fitments would be a high/premium quality rotor, sourced from either Australia or Europe. They would be non-drilled, non-slotted, and manufactured to OE-spec. Cobalt only has two-piece, full-floating, directionally vented rotors available in OE-fitments for a small fitment of vehicles at this time (only ITR and NSX, from the H/A line).

HTH... -Andie

[Modified by cobalt, 2:32 PM 11/1/2002]
Old 11-01-2002, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Regarding corrosiveness, it would be corrosive to wheel finishes. If you have a set of wheels that you use only for racing, then it's probably not a issue, but I do know some people like to keep their wheels looking nice.
Yeah, that is one of the problems with buying a racecar that has Volk wheels. I care! LOL!

Cobalt only has two-piece, full-floating, directionally vented rotors available in OE-fitments for a small fitment of vehicles at this time (only ITR and NSX, from the H/A line).
With all of that in mind, I would only get those pads if I was not satisfied with a less aggressive pad. In other words, it wouldn't be my first choice, but I would use them if I had to, to avoid fade or other braking related problems.

Matt

Old 11-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would be fine with it. Like Warren said, sounds similar to Hawk Blue. I have been using the Hawk Blue plus Brembo blank combo for 2+ years. Corrosive dust and chewed up rotors are a worthy trade off for good pads, esp on cars like the Integra where you need to use 100% of the little brakes the car has.