Button on top at Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Button on top at Barcelona

Yea, yea, i know it's only testing:

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/h...shtml

"Times:

J. Button - BAR Honda - 1'14.607 (85 laps)
M. Schumacher - Ferrari - 1'15.410 (95 laps)
F. Alonso - Renault - 1'15.506 (102 laps)
R. Schumacher - Williams BMW - 1'15.736 (63 laps)
L. Badoer - Ferrari - 1'15.767 (86 laps)
M. Gené - Williams BMW - 1'15.820 (46 laps)
JP. Montoya - Williams BMW - 1'16.251 (97 laps)
O. Panis - Toyota - 1'16.507 (98 laps)
G. Fisichella - Sauber Petronas - 1'16.529 (66 laps)
T. Sato - BAR Honda - 1'16.560 (90 laps)
M. Webber - Jaguar -1'17.173 (144 laps)
F. Montagny - Renault - 1'17.447 (130 laps)
N. Heidfeld - Jordan Ford - 1'17.530 (49 laps)
C. Klien - Jaguar - 1'18.029 (46 laps)
R. Briscoe - Toyota - 1'18.106 (62 laps)
T. Glock - Jordan Ford - 1'18.236 (36 laps)"
Old 01-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (usuck)

Over a second faster than the old track record!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (speedracer33)

yeah that ain't gonna last. Unless Honda has made some good changes over the off season, I foresee another Honda sucking year.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (MEANB18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MEANB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah that ain't gonna last. Unless Honda has made some good changes over the off season, I foresee another Honda sucking year.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think we will be pleasantly suprised - Honda is going to make some good strides this season. Look at the success they were having toward the end of last season...
Old 01-23-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (Flux)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think we will be pleasantly suprised - Honda is going to make some good strides this season. Look at the success they were having toward the end of last season...</TD></TR></TABLE>

At some point during each of the last two races of the season, Jenson Button was leading the race. This is also the second time during winter testing that the BAR was at the top of the time sheets. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are going to be fighting for the championships quite yet, but expect them to be about where Renault was last year. Fighting for podiums....

Matt
Old 01-23-2004, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (Flux)

I agree about a possible turn around. Since engines have to last a whole race weekend this season, I think Honda and Toyota both could have a good year. Seems to play to their strengths more than the ragged edge tuning of past seasons did.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (91SiKen)

Both Honda engines blew up today...
Old 01-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

honda admitted JB's times yesterday were with low fuel.

times today werent so stunning.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (Tyson)

Honda making great strides=Both BARs consistently finishing in the points. I hope this isn't another year of the same old ish.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (Outrun)

Don't get me wrong here, I can't wait until Honda is back at the top or close to it, and your right about the last couple races of the season last year, but didn't they blow up towards the end of the race? (I really don't remember if they did or did not)

on another F1 note:

I really do think Michael Schumacher is one of the greatest drivers of all time, but I don't think I could stand him winning another championship this year. I am getting kind of sick seeing him win all these races, it's very predictable. I hope Montoya can stir things up this year, or possibly next when he starts with his new team.

Is anyone else feeling the same way I do here?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MEANB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
on another F1 note:

I really do think Michael Schumacher is one of the greatest drivers of all time, but I don't think I could stand him winning another championship this year. I am getting kind of sick seeing him win all these races, it's very predictable. I hope Montoya can stir things up this year, or possibly next when he starts with his new team.

Is anyone else feeling the same way I do here?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with wanting someone else to win to win but the not the traitor montoya!! grrrrr money hungry! but aren't we all
Old 01-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (Nate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree with wanting someone else to win to win but the not the traitor montoya!! grrrrr money hungry! but aren't we all </TD></TR></TABLE>
Montoya may be a cocky sob but bottom line is that there is no reason Ralphie should've been making twice the money that Montoya was. Montoya outperformed him step for step last season and the season before. I'd hate on Montoya more if it was just that he felt he was underpaid by Williams and made the same or similar to RS but when someone who you are better than is making twice the money you are that's just not cool. That would be like someone who has the same job as you but does a poorer job and gets paid twice as much...
Old 01-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedracer33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Over a second faster than the old track record!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

looks like the techs just keep getting smarter
Old 01-25-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (jdmjunky)

The new step-10 engine must be doing well early on.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (91SiKen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91SiKen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree about a possible turn around. Since engines have to last a whole race weekend this season, I think Honda and Toyota both could have a good year. Seems to play to their strengths more than the ragged edge tuning of past seasons did.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've said this before... This aspect of the 2004 season is either going to bring out the best or the worst in the sport.

Yes, the Japanese teams may get a break in being able to focus on designing motors that last, not just "ragged", high strung units like Ken said. While F1 needs to reduce costs so more teams can stay or join, this was not one of the ways to do it, IMO. A moratorium on chassis development would be a better idea, 2 or 3 seasons on one major chassis design. Allow for wing updates, but the nose, undertray, and sidepods remain untouched.

I'll tell everybody about the new rules and all after the Canadian GP, I'll be there.

Yes, I love Hondas, and would LOVE to see BAR do well, but the chance to see Michael Schumacher race before he retires is the only reason I'm going. I know his contract is up in 2006, but I think if he gets smacked around by Alonslo (!) and Kimi enough this year, and doesn't produce another crown, I think he'll hang it up. So '04 may be the year.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
Old 01-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (honda93)

The new Ferrari F2004 was released today. Take note of the location of the radiator intakes and how high on the sidepods they are. Also, the little "shark fin" off the back over the engine cover is new, just to name two examples of what I saw.

All the teams are focusing on reliability due to the one engine rule and, my personal theory, creating as much stability as possible, even in "dirty" air... I'd love to be right so we can all be treated to the art of passing once again.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
Old 01-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Painting Masterpieces

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona

Don't discount the time so much. Yes, it was with low fuel but every team goes out with low fuel during testing. Looks like they've got a quick car. But quick don't mean crap if you can't finish and that...mark my words (though potentially ignorant) will determine how well they do this season.

Shawn, who thinks that we'll see more and more DNF's later in the season as points battles tighten up.

Shawn, who also thinks B*A*R should keep their test car livery on the race car.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:40 PM

I dunno... Maybe I am in the minority here, but I'm kinda stoked about seeing history in the making. I mean, do you think it was boring back in the day when Fangio was winning his championships? Why do we revere Fangio for his accompliwshments, yet chastise F1 for allowing -gasp- someone to dominate. This ain't coreagraphed - if Schumaker and Ferrari are that good, let them make history. I quite frankly was moved to see the history unfold before my eyes.

That being said, I'd love to see anyone doing well... Alonso deserves his day in the sun, as does Button and Honda. Heck, even that cocky Columbian deserves a shot at it. But they all have to outdrive and outengineer the juggernaut that is Schumaker/Ferrari.

I'll be tuned in to watch them all try, that's for sure. And if they don't succeed I'll be truly moved that I'm probably watching history again, and such an accomplishment that it may never again be eclipsed. Like I said, I might be in the minority on this one, but I think it's an exciting time to be an F1 fan.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (Jason Saini)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jason Saini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dunno... Maybe I am in the minority here, but I'm kinda stoked about seeing history in the making. I mean, do you think it was boring back in the day when Fangio was winning his championships? Why do we revere Fangio for his accompliwshments, yet chastise F1 for allowing -gasp- someone to dominate. This ain't coreagraphed - if Schumaker and Ferrari are that good, let them make history. I quite frankly was moved to see the history unfold before my eyes.

That being said, I'd love to see anyone doing well... Alonso deserves his day in the sun, as does Button and Honda. Heck, even that cocky Columbian deserves a shot at it. But they all have to outdrive and outengineer the juggernaut that is Schumaker/Ferrari.

I'll be tuned in to watch them all try, that's for sure. And if they don't succeed I'll be truly moved that I'm probably watching history again, and such an accomplishment that it may never again be eclipsed. Like I said, I might be in the minority on this one, but I think it's an exciting time to be an F1 fan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jason,

Total agreement in that Fangio was one of the best racing drivers ever (and definitely the best of his era), but what made him so widely recognized and so historic in his accomplishments is the fact that he survived. Many ambitious individuals came and went while he was racing... But he lived to retire.

In today's, F1 car death isn't really on the forefront of their minds anymore like it was 45-50 years ago... Thanks Mr. Stewart.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
Old 02-02-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (honda93)

Deja vu,

"Barcelona - 02/02/04
1. J. Button - BAR-Honda 006 - 1'13"867 - 27 laps
2. M. Gené - Williams-BMW FW26 -1'15"302 - 59 laps
3. T. Sato - BAR-Honda 005/B - 1'15"594 - 75 laps
4. R. Schumacher - Williams-BMW FW26 - 1'16"016 - 64 laps
5. L. Badoer - Ferrari F2003-GA - 1'16"302 - 81 laps
6. G. Fisichella - Sauber-Petronas C23 - 1'16"584 - 85 laps
7. P. De la Rosa - McLaren-Mercedes MP4/19 - 1'16"955 - 59 laps
8. A. Wurz - McLaren-Mercedes MP4/19 - 1'17"069 - 35 laps
9. D. Turner - McLaren-Mercedes MP4/19 - 1'19"887 - 17 laps"

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/h...shtml

If BAR can keep the engines going for a weekend, they may win some races.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usuck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If BAR can keep the engines going for a weekend, they may win some races.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If they can just get the car to hold together while improving upon its performance they probably will end up on the podium
Old 02-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (FrostySol)

Sato snatches lap record at Barcelona! ...from Button. admittedly on low fuel also, but hey, thats 1-2 for BAR racing!

wow, no love for sato....

Modified by Tyson at 10:40 PM 2/3/2004
Old 02-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

button on top again, with sato in tow in 3rd fastest. yes yes, this is just testing, but someone with more memory in previous years of F1 pre seasons, how much does testing results translate in the season success? i mean, BAR is considered middle tiered, almost low end. anyone care yet?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (Tyson)

hey I'm excited, but one thing is keeping me from getting too excited... the F2004 and MS haven't run w/ the honda boys yet. If they still hold consistant poles when they're running w/ the new red cars, then I'll be impressed. I think they'll do well this season though. Maybe not as well as it would seem from testing, but probably better than last season
Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Button on top at Barcelona (FrostySol)

day two at Jerez and its a Honda 1-2 w/ Button on top again! Hope they can keep it up

Quick Reply: Button on top at Barcelona