Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

What type of Paint? Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of Paint? Please HELP!

I'm going to have a painter paint my EG in the next couple days but the painter said it would be cheaper if I buy the paint myself. I've chose to go with Desert Sage Metallic (Paint Code:6U3). So I called around asking for PPG Automotive Paint and Dupont Clear to see what prices I will be looking at for a gallon. I was asked what type of paint am I looking for...Omni, Water-base, etc....and I was confused. The lady on the phone briefly said that water-base paint is very popular but doesn't hold up well in the long run. It'll start fading and **** like that. I was wondering what would be the best choice. I have no knowledge when it comes to bodywork so if someone can chime in I would appreciate it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What type of Paint? Please HELP!

You want to use 2k urethane for the primer and clearcoats. The basecoat should be a 1k product. You'll need primer, clearcoat, basecoat and activators and reducers. Many systems use the same activator/reducer for both primer and clearcoat. I suggest going to an auto supply shop and asking for help. Dupont makes the "nason" line of paint, which is a budget line. Many stores will carry it, I suggest you ask them to hook you up with everything.

I would however be wary of your painter. Most of these guys can get paint MUCH cheaper than you or I would be able to (shops sign agreements with a paint supplier, ect.)

P.S- Steer clear of waterbase. It is fairly new and many painters are unaware of how to use it and how to dry it (which is MUCH different than a urethane basecoat.)
Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What type of Paint? Please HELP!

I painted cars for 8 years in a Cadillac dealership. We were a Dupont shop and they make excellent products but so do PPG, Sikkens and some others. ALL of them are expensive and I can't understand why the painter told you that you could buy it cheaper. You can't, if anything it will be more expensive for you. When I need stuff painted now that I am out of the business I go back to the dealership and ask one of the painters to do a side job. Everyone is looking for side work, if I were you I would just ask to talk to one of the painters in the shop.