Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Floor Surface Rust Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor Surface Rust Solution?

My 98 coupe has a water leak that I have yet to find, over the weekend i pulled the interrior out and the csrpet to have a look at the floor and see if there is any work needed from the occasional sitting water.

So question is what is going to be the best solution for this? I was going to wire wheel and then POR15 it, the metal is not soft it just has rust on top of it. No holes.
The brace that runs accross the floor drivers side to passenger side under the seat also has rust on the inside of it and there is no way of getting at it. I debatedcutting the top off ti clean and por then welding it back in place.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Floor Surface Rust Solution?

removing the rust by sanding and/or grinding it away, is always the best option but for a quick fix, buy a spray can of rust converter (por15 has their own version as well). it literally kills the rust and converts your rust to a sandable primer u can paint right on top of.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!! Wonder where i can find some rust converter. Does it need to be rinsed off before using the por??

Do you feel this is a *** that will last?? I constantly have the debate do i sell the car and wait for a cleaner one to come around or repair what i know is wrong with this one. Here in canada it can be tough to find these cars rust free. Or near impossible. And the body on this one seems to be pretty good.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And any suggestions for cleaning up inside that floor brace that runs under the seat? ( triangle boxed in peice in oics)
Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u just spray the rust converter and let dry. it will turn black... u can sand/scuff it all down and paint por 15 or epoxy primer. whatever it is u plan to go with first.

inside the floor brace where u cant reach, just spray the rust converter as best u can, to cover the rust. and leave it inert
Old 03-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, managed to get at it with the wire wheel last night. Cleaned up much better than expected, appears most of it was just a film of rust. Few spots to touch and then por15.

Anyone know what can be used in place of that reaalllyy hard layer of "matting" that comes fsctory on the floor as i took it all off in order to make sure i fot all the spots cleaned up.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Although i know theres nobody subscribed or following this thread, i have found my water leak and would love someones input on how to repair it. This is the second civic i have seen rot here, water runs down inside the wiper cowl and drains on both sides through the outside "member" the peice i have cut to get behind in the pictures. The water lays inside there and over time...voila. hole at very top corner of the cabin, behind the wiring and relays etc.

From the outside, the outer member cut and the rust behind it.

From the inside. Managed to get phone in there to take a pic.

Looking down on the wiper motor you can see the spot in the bottom right.

And this is the very back corner of this cavity. There is clean metal back there just not sure how to get to it.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Shit Posts: 15

You can use aftermarket sound deadening matt sheets on the floors to replace the factory sound deadening matt.

Only way to repair your rust there is to cut any rust out and re weld new sheet metal.
Seems like a lot of work though.

To get the rust out of the floor brace will be tough, if you manage to get it, use this to seal it!
http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
Old 04-05-2016, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have managed to find the hole from the inside. Its up on the left hand side behind a bunch of wiring and relays and such. So now im debating, i have never had the dash out of one of these cars, I know its not too difficult to take out but i have no idea if that will give me access to this hole or is there still going to be the dash frame and wiring and such in the way?? Any input greatly appreciated!