Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Dying my EJ6 interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dying my EJ6 interior

This is my first write-up, so here it goes.

First here's a list of all materials required.

1. SEM Dye (I used Landau Black) it can be found at http://www.eastwoodco.com
2. SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter (can be found on the same website as above)
3. Isopropyl Alcohol 70% any rubbing alcohol would do.
4. A green Scotch pad.
5. Any kind of detergent.
6. Lint free cloths.
7. 400 grit sandpaper

First, I cleaned all the panels using dish soap the green Scotch pad.

Then I throughly dried off all the pieces with a towel. I then sanded down the panels using 400 grit. The 400 grit is fine enough to not make scratches on the panels. After that blow off the panels either using a air compressor or your mouth, lol. Anyways, after the panel is blown off use the alcohol to clean the panel drying using the lint free try to remain drying in the same direction. You may want to do this process twice to make sure no fish eye or anything occurs.

Once dried, I sprayed everything with a light coat of SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter, then you let it sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes has gone by apply another uniform coat of the adhesion promoter and then wait 15 minutes.

After the 15 minutes has passed then begin applying the SEM Dye, in my case the landau black. Try to stay at least 6-8 inches away.

Here is a piece of my center console before it was prepped and dyed.

And here's after.

After the first coat is dry, depending on how dark you want it or how well the first coat went on, you may need to apply a second coat.

Here's a picture of a few of my completed panels.

And them installed in my car..

Next, I have my carpet. I picked this up from a fellow HT member. It was originally beige or tan with stains and nasty looking.

You will need the following:
Carpet
Dye (I used RIT dye but I am sure there are other dyes you can use)
Some kind of tub or bucket to place the carpet in
Latex gloves so you don't turn your hands black or whatever color you dye it.

I first filled the 30 gal Rubbermaid tub (that I purchased for like 15.00) with hot water. The RIT dye package says 2 cups of water per package, I think that's ridiculous, so I put six packages of the RIT dye with about 8 gal of water. It says to let it sit for 30 minutes, I felt that wasn't enough time. I let it sit for about 2 hours, flipping it over every 30 minutes or so. I then let it sit out in the sun until it dried..luckily that day it didn't rain here in FL.

I then installed it into my car.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome..positive or negative..

Modified by 96civic_hb at 12:16 AM 7/25/2008
Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 PM

that looks so nice, you do the dash as well?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kiddcarbuff)

Not yet..I'm doing it today.. Not looking forward to it. Lol. Dash and a few other trim pieces.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96civic_hb)

looks fantastic. definitely nice

im looking to dye my rear seats and the door panel carpet/inserts in my 89 4dr. its undergoing a restoration at the moment but im putting in black carpet and new black seats, i want the door panels and rear to be black as well, im wondering how im going to do this. Dont think i want to soak my rear seats in water, cause they will never dry. And i only want that small piece of each door panel dyed black. I guess i need to see if they are removeable. And i quite possibly may have to just get the rear seats wrapped.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IMPATIENT)

Yeah I would just get the seats re-wrapped. It would be easier.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's some pics of the dash done and some close ups. Doors aren't finished yet.

Last edited by 96civic_hb; 12-07-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:15 PM

das came out exellent, hopefully if i get the ek i want ill have to do this, i used sem in my old 93 accord went from blue to black, never had a problem with it so i might try it again
Old 07-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, SEM products are awesome! I think I'm going to get a clear coat for the kick panels and the door sills, the ones that will have a lot of wear you know? What do you think?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:55 PM

id shoot a few more coats ont he sills and kick panels and then clear them. i had like 2 coats onthe kick panels on my accord and i wore it right off. idk if i skimped prepping it or what but it wore off.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I ran out of dye so I need to order some more or find a place that sells it around here so I don't have to pay for shipping! And then get some clear also. I need to get my door panels done also..I'm just so impatient lol. But the car has gone a long way..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96civic_hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car went from this..

To this..

for less than 100.00 (not counting the price of the floormats)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job, I did the same to my hatch. I didn't know they make a adhesion promoter. I had to armoral it so it wouldnt skratch when re-installed.

I think you need an armrest.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (octaneaccord02)

Great job on the interior.
Gonna have to pick some of that SEM stuff up for the old Accord.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice turn around.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Re: (rSol93)

did you have to get black vents or did you paint them with that stuff too?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gonna pick up what I need today thanks again!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 PM

wow looks really good i didnt even know you could dye pieces like this...
Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (octaneaccord02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by octaneaccord02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good job, I did the same to my hatch. I didn't know they make a adhesion promoter. I had to armoral it so it wouldnt skratch when re-installed.

I think you need an armrest.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not a big fan or the armrest..I ordered an arm rest delete that I am waiting on..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_CD7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great job on the interior.
Gonna have to pick some of that SEM stuff up for the old Accord.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely..it does wonders as you can see..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rSol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice turn around.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks bro, I appreciate it. I did this as part of my build after it was stolen...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you have to get black vents or did you paint them with that stuff too?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I just used the sye on those too, I have a driver side vent with the coin pocket coming in..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ME-B-N-ME &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gonna pick up what I need today thanks again!</TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem man, I'm going to need to pick up some more..I forgot the trim around the hatch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nor Cal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow looks really good i didnt even know you could dye pieces like this...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks everyone I appreciate the the comments and feedback! Let me know how whoever does this turns out!!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 PM

this looks awesome, im picking up a 92 eg sedan with burgandy and would love to go black with it, i was going to try Dupli-colors vinyl spray instead, any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (idriveaz32)

I would just go with SEM dye..it's pretty much the best stuff there is..
Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

fyi i hate you lol i tryed the rit dye and i did the same exact things you did and the only thing that took the color was the stitching so i sprayes it all with duplicolor fabric paing and had an awsome smell for a week lol
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (billyinse)

Lol, sorry bro. How long did you let it sit?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

inside looks fresh man, i just ordered 2 cans, just wondering how many cans did it take you and is the adhesion necessary, i was gonna get it but the price pwns me and the shipping
Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90goldhatch)

I bought four cans and I ran out, I need to order another one, to do some tailgate pieces. The adhesion promoter helps it stick to the plastic peices better and reduces chipping and peeling afterwards. It cost me about 90.00 or so for the dye and adhesion promoter shipped.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How uniform was the color of the carpet? What did you do with the garbage can full of dye (water) when you were finished? I dont want to try to pour it down the sink and I also dont want to pour it into the street...

Is there an easier way to dye the carpet with a fabric spray paint or spray dye?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRSC EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRSC EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How uniform was the color of the carpet? What did you do with the garbage can full of dye (water) when you were finished? I dont want to try to pour it down the sink and I also dont want to pour it into the street...

Is there an easier way to dye the carpet with a fabric spray paint or spray dye? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The carpet turned out great. I wish I would have taken a before picture. I know they sell like a spray dye but I've heard that it makes your car smell for a few months and doesn't hold up really well. But as far as dumping the dye goes, I dumped in my neighbor's yard, lol. But it didn't kill the grass or anything nor did it dye it, it just absorbed into the dirt.

Quick Reply: Dying my EJ6 interior