Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

1st time doing body work

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time doing body work

so this will be my first time doing some minor body work on my crx. ive done some searching and have read so much that now im pretty confused so im just looking for a straight answer..lol..
i wont be using bondo because i think theirs better products out there for around the same amount of money. i think the local oreillys has rage so ill probly be using that. my big questions are this
after i sand down to metal to try to get all the rust off should i
1: spray self etching primer over the metal then rough the primer up a little then use body filler or
2: using the body filler over bare metal and then spray some kind of primer over the filler.

also, what kind of primer should i use after i lay the filler and get it sanded. i read that i should epoxy primer. if so can i get this is a spray can some where because i dont have an air compressor or spray gun. and like i said this will be my first time. im just trying to take care of all the rust so that it doesnt end up taking of my car..plus i live in indiana so the snow and salt ect. thanks for the help guys/girls. i do appreciate it
Old 01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1st time doing body work

Go over the metal with rust converter, body filler, 2k Primer then basecoat. Use either rage gold or Upol Fantastic. Good luck rust is hard to kill unless you really know what your doing. How do u plan on spraying the primer if you dont have a compressor or gun? If your just going to drive around with primer I would suggest using an epoxy primer as 2k will absorb moisture and distribute it through the body filler making it swell.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what i was going to do after doing the body filler was use some kind of primer in a can if i can sense i cant spray anything and then use some kind of rattle can paint that works with the primer untill i can get the car professionaly painted
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You cant use rattle can with catalyzed automotive paint. If you do it will have to be completely stripped off before u spray real primer and paint. Kinda pointless and a waste of time n money. Do it right the 1st time or dont do it
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by precisionsc54
You cant use rattle can with catalyzed automotive paint. If you do it will have to be completely stripped off before u spray real primer and paint. Kinda pointless and a waste of time n money. Do it right the 1st time or dont do it
SEM actually does

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=148

you can paint over this with automotive paint no problem

granted its just not practical to do a whole car like this
Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your correct but I wouldnt use it and spray BC over it. Its not catalyzed so its unstable. I tried it once a few yrs back and it still reacted when a thinner based material was sprayed over it. But if your that desperate go for it.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my main goal is just to take care of the rust untill i can pay some one to professionaly paint my car. which is who knows when. i dont want the little rust to turn into a big problem so i dont no how to tackle the problem.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of rust repair are we talking about
Old 01-29-2010, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would suggest just getting as much of the rust off for now and using some kind of rust converting product or POR15 I believe its called.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rust is hard to kill because moisture eventually get into it. Sanding and apply what-ever paint to prevent rust can still causee it come back. I know alots of peoples do have tools for cutting metal or welding, but you can get those it will help not to see rust spreading all over the car. I'm looking to try and do some welding..
Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

either sand blasting or Acid bath will stop the rusting process but you will have all the damaged metal to contend with taht will still need to be cut out
Depending on how bad the rust is that is.. if its surface rust that does not go through i would sand blast it then sand it down to nice and smooth metal ( if you have a sand blaster) you can pick up a small one at home depot for not to much that has a little tank you pry want to wear protective gear and set up a little tend because the sand goes EVERYWHERE. i use Silica sand you can get at a pool store. I think thats the best bet because the sand will get in the little crevises and get the rust that other wise would be unreachable with out sending a good portion of the metal. then when you sand metal that is thin you have to worry about it warping
Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its illegal to use silica sand for sandblasting as it is knows to cause silicosis of the lung. Just thought id through that out there. I only use black beauty
Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well you NEVER blast with out Eye and Breathing protection but your supposed to use silica sand in an enclosed area. But right its very bad to breath any silica in your lungs weather you are working with dry clay or sand or whatever. But you NEVER blast with out protective breathing apperatus and goggles in an enclosed area. But a Coal slag would be much less dangerous although you still need protection from any particulate matter.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you can use dupli color filler primer out of a can,
Old 01-31-2010, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its illegal to use silica sand for sandblasting as it is knows to cause silicosis of the lung. Just thought id through that out there. I only use black beauty
true! black beuty is great stuff and affordable, but no compressor, and even then the body warpage. your spose to use soda blasting on a vehicle.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cherroneballs
true! black beuty is great stuff and affordable, but no compressor, and even then the body warpage. your spose to use soda blasting on a vehicle.
If you were going to sand blast a whole car I wouldnt use it. Spot repairs are no problem though. And you go ahead and use rattle can primer. Ill do it the right way.