Notices
Other Make Vehicles Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc.

KAE86 build

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KAE86 build

My brother and another 86 owner decided to go in together and build a track car. I already have a project on my hands so I'm not helping out financially but will be putting in wrench time as often as I can. We're not too big a fan of 4ag's so the plan is to swap a twin cam KA from a 240sx. Also, this is a budget build so they are trying to do everything for about 2-3 grand.

Picked up the car for $200 and then sold the wiring harness out of it for $250 so basically got the car for free and put a little cash back into the car fund. Everything that will be taken off the car will be put up for sale to help the budget. It has almost no rust minus some surface rust on the battery tray and the dash support bar, so little to no body work will have to be done. The support bar will probably be sand blasted and sprayed just for cosmetic appearances and the battery tray will be sanded down and sprayed when we do the engine bay.

This car will have nothing but the essentials. No dash, no excess wiring that won't be used, all excess nuts, bolts, tabs, ect. will be removed.

Started stripping the interior and engine bay.

Found a Cusco spin turn **** under the carpet so we put it on

Car was originally black but the previous owner changed it to white using a "roll on" paint job then added blue graffiti on the driver's side, lol. We will be putting it back to black. Started by giving the radiator support a light wet sanding and sprayed it black.

The car is not gonna have head lights but we need the buckets to mount the covers to we robbed a set from our parts stash, gutted them, put a bolt through them with a nut on the end to keep them closed, painted them black as well, then mounted them.

Also installed an aluminum radiator.

And lastly put on the old headlight covers we had.

This car was originally a GTS but it did not have the gas tank in it, so we've ordered a gas tank and it's on the way. Here fairly soon we will be hitting up a junkyard to get the wiring, bumper to bumper from an S13, then the fun begins of removing all the excess wires that won't be used. Anyways, more updates soon.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KAE86 build

No big updates as of yet but the gas tank showed up and we got some coilovers for the front for free and some 6k TRD rear springs for free as well. Don't have pics but I'll get some at one point or another.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why don't you use the 3sgte in the mr2?
Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLK2DOOR
Why don't you use the 3sgte in the mr2?
One reason being transmission fitment. We would need either a jdm bell housing out of a 1s or 2s engine {cant remember} or a custom one. If you get the jdm one the motor is going to sit straight and it needs to tilt 15 to 20 degrees. We could tilt the transmission but the shifter would be off a bit to the side. Also we would possibly have to have a custom manifold fabricated. Also if we use the stock distributor, some cutting on the firewall is going to be needed. We want this to look as clean as possible (so hopefully no cutting or modifying in the engine bay, firewall, transmission tunnel, ect.).

All of that being said, also the 3sgte is not a common or cheap motor. The KA's are very common and not very expensive at all, not to mention that they have a timing chain, not a timing belt.

Lastly, as stated in my first post, this is gonna be a budget build. Overall the KA swap will have more than enough power and torque to get the little corolla around the track and will be a cheap swap in general. This is not gonna be a competition car and we are not trying to be the fastest one on the track. Just something we can go out and have fun with.

And if you were making the statement based on the MR2 in the background, it is an NA MR2, not the turbo charged one. If it was just a comment in general, refer to above reasons, lol.

Last edited by 75euRFE; 09-06-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not too much progress as of yet. All 3 of us have other projects going on so this is just something we get parts for and work on when we have the time and money. The car came with door glass but it didn't have regulators. So we found a set, put them in and also sprayed the door skins just to give it a cleaner look. Gonna do the whole interior the same black but we have more work to do before that.

We also put the TRD rear springs on. Don't have pics of it but eh, it's not that impressive, lol.

Sorry for the crappy pics of the doors. It was pitch black and all I had for lighting was the flash on my camera.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

its nice to see other cars being built. im in for progress!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you going to find parts for that car?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry it's been so long on an update. Been busy with other things. Thanks Sic DA Nine for the comment. And to ken9, what parts are you referring to? These corollas do have a decent amount of aftermarket parts available. As far as interior, it's gonna have 2 seats and just a tachometer, oil pressure and coolant temp gauge.

Several weeks ago our friend and my brother drove out to Abilene and bought an S14. The motor, wiring harness, and ecu are going into the corolla.

We picked up a set of T3 NRCA's 2 weeks ago and my brother finished machining the subframe spacers. However, after seeing the machine work of the T3 NRCA's, my brother figured he could make them better............so he did, lol.

His NRCA's

And subframe spacers

We need a 4cylinder, 2wd Nissan Hardbody Pickup transmission next so we can get the mounts mocked up.

And lastly we got a pair of KYB shocks.

More to come soon hopefully!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pulled the rear cabin harness out of the S14 and started removing all the excess wiring not being used.

Start

Unwrapped

All wiring that was removed

And all that is left. Probably could have taken a better pic but all that is left is 3 wires. 1 power for the brake lights, 1 power for the fuel pump, and the ground. We left the wires long but when we go to install the will be shortened to fit the corolla.

We also shaved down the valve cover and I sprayed it wrinkle black.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great so far. It's nice to see something original being done. Those corollas are fun little cars too. As light as it is being stripped down, that KA will Move it well I'm sure.