Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2012 Odyssey rear wiper problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Odyssey rear wiper problems

Hey everyone! I'm new here... I'm no technician but I do have a bit of electrical experience. I've installed many stereos, remote start, etc. So I know just enough about wiring to be dangerous. I've come for a little bit of help regarding my wife's 2012 Odyssey EX-L. The rear wiper stopped working earlier this summer and I'm trying to get it going again before winter sets in. The front wipers and washer works just fine. The rear washer works as well. But there's no motion from the rear wiper.

At first I checked all fuses I could find related to wipers and didn't see anything blown. I then tried checking voltage at the rear motor (without knowing which pins to actually try). I got 11 volts across two of the wires, so I figured the motor was getting juice. Ordered a new motor and swapped it in - still nothing. I then took the original motor and carefully touched wires straight off the battery to it and it fired right up. Come to find out, my DMM was reading 11 volts at the rear motor even with the wiper switch in the "off" position. I was just checking the wrong wires.

So I'm guessing it's either (1) something in the wiper switch arm, or (2) a break in the wiring, perhaps where the harness jumps from the liftgate to the body. The switch isn't that expensive to try, but I'd rather not buy any more parts without having a good idea that it's broken. Does anyone have tips, wiring diagrams, switch arm pinout, other things to try, etc? Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2012 Odyssey rear wiper problems

2012 Odyseey EX-L is not working properly either? If hou turn it on it is extreamly slow and stop midway across rear glass? Then it will park on opposite side. You ever figure yours out? Isthis a ground issue?
Old 06-03-2020, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shortlid
2012 Odyseey EX-L is not working properly either? If hou turn it on it is extreamly slow and stop midway across rear glass? Then it will park on opposite side. You ever figure yours out? Isthis a ground issue?
Mine wouldn't work at all. After about 4 diagnostic trips to the dealership, they finally determined that the rear fuse panel (which has an embedded computer I think) had gone bad. After replacing it, it's been working fine.

If yours is going slow and intermittent, I'm not sure if yours would be the same problem. From what I remember, there are a few common problems. Namely, corrosion, wire breakage where the harness transitions from the gate to the body, or switch failure (wiper arm in the steering wheel).

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 Odyseey EX-L is not working properly either? If hou turn it on it is extreamly slow and stop midway across rear glass? Then it will park on opposite side. You ever figure yours out? Is this a ground issue? Nut from shaft yo arm not tight?