Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

03 honda pilot transmission failll!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 honda pilot transmission failll!!

[QUOTE=Steve Lindley;51440398]So im a tech at toyota, i own a 03 honda pilot has about 260 km on it, the other day my tranny let go in the middle of an intersection and would not engage , i almost got t boned!! I have been researching this issue and apparently this is a know honda defect in either the torque converter or in the counter shafts 3rd and 4th gears they tend too over heat and chip, which is what i believe is happening too my pilot , i have been in contact with honda canada and olymic honda in guelph, everyone was a little hesitent too diclose that yes indeed there is "good will warrenty " for the 03 too 05 honda pilot transmissions, i have now started a casr and am going too pay an hour diag for them too look at the transmission . I will keep everyone up too date on how this unfolds.... i really hope too god that honda will own up too this known defect in there product!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 03 honda pilot transmission failll!!

Have you checked your radiator/tranny fluid to make sure you're not a victim of the SMOD? (connection to the heat exchanger in the radiator fails allowing coolant into the tranny). Another known issue... not just for Honda, but for all mfgs that use this type/design radiator.

* SMOD = strawberry milkshake of death
Old 10-11-2017, 06:12 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlever
Have you checked your radiator/tranny fluid to make sure you're not a victim of the SMOD? (connection to the heat exchanger in the radiator fails allowing coolant into the tranny). Another known issue... not just for Honda, but for all mfgs that use this type/design radiator.

* SMOD = strawberry milkshake of death
This is the only issue I've heard of. Easy to diagnose by checking the coolant. If caught early enough and the car was turned off immediately, it may be possible to save the tranny by repetitive flushing of the transmission, like 8-10x while letting each fresh fluid fill cycle thru a bit. And obviously the cooler/radiator and lines will need replaced.

My 06 with 135k is still holding strong. Planning a rad replacement next year as preventive maintenance.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 2x0
This is the only issue I've heard of. Easy to diagnose by checking the coolant. If caught early enough and the car was turned off immediately, it may be possible to save the tranny by repetitive flushing of the transmission, like 8-10x while letting each fresh fluid fill cycle thru a bit. And obviously the cooler/radiator and lines will need replaced.

My 06 with 135k is still holding strong. Planning a rad replacement next year as preventive maintenance.
I just figure in a replacement radiator when it's time for the TB/water pump service... which I typically do at 120k miles. (no towing, normal service).