Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

How to wire up Denjis on EG..??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to wire up Denjis on EG..??

Well got my denji's today, and they came with an extra harness... I assume this harness just plugs into my stock one, but where do i connect these extra wires to..?? Do i have to extend those red ones to the battery somehow..?? And what are those blue ones with the capped off ends for..?? "thumbs down to no instructions with the lights"... Thumbs up to whoever can help me lol... I've googled and came up with nothing...

Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to wire up Denjis on EG..??

Sorry for uber huge pics, im on my cell phone and couldnt resize them only post... But it helps to see up closer what im referring to lol..
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe those wires are for the city lights to wire them to ur side markers if im not mistaken....where did u find denjis?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought'm off ebay from a distributor with like 2 sets left... So those 2 red wires are just gonna be extra...???

What about the blue capped off plug..???
Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for quick response BTW...
Old 02-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually the more i look at the pics it looks like u have the 2 black plugs which are gonna be both the head light and high beam...then u have a blue plug for the city lights...then the 2 wires would be the ones that run directly to the battery (only heard of this never tried it) to get more "juice" to have brighter headlights...not to sure without being there..u can try installing then taping those off (so they dont touch anything) and if everything works just leave um i guess...
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well they work fine without the harness at all, but from what i understand that harness actually puts the lights to work by giving 2x the amount of power output, give or take...
Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

plus i dont have city lights so i wouldnt need those extra wires... however, i saw someone with a TSX retrofit set of Denji's and they had their 8K blue HID's on thru the projector, and some 3K yellow HID's on the high beam part, both lights on at the same time... That's something i'd like to figure out also... Hopefully some of the afternoon wiring genius's are on lol..
Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im looking at retrofitting a set also...it seems like u would just rewiring it from being a highbeam/lowbeam set up to where both light on with lowbeam
Old 02-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wonder how the hell i do that... im searching now, but everythings inconclusive on final results & step by step.... AHHHH..!!! lol...
Old 02-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hear ya...u always get that SEARCH response...and even in the DIY or FAQ the post are from 2002-03 so all the pics are gone and ****...
Old 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly... I searched like crazy already, HT, h-a.net, automotive forums, google, an even looked for denji's instructions online and nothin...
Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I believe those harnesses may be used to allow the high beams to switch on with the low beams staying on. Otherwise, Civics turn off the low beam when the high beam switches on.

Don't get your hopes up with those headlights, though. They use H3 projectors, which are absolutely awful for low beam headlights. Those are normally used as fog lights, which don't project a beam out far enough to be useful.

Retrofitting HID projectors would be a much better choice, but please, whatever you do, use 4300K HID bulbs. You can do color mods to some projectors like TSX's, to get more color at the cutoff line, while keeping the light on the ground white with maximum light ouput. Those ricer blue headlights look and perform like garbage, just like the old PIAA and similar colored halogen bulbs.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The blue plug is a diode, it lets the high beam stay on with the low beam. These are the EASIEST lights to do a retro on for our cars. Almost any low beam can fit and a few bi-xenons as well. Search Hidplanet for civic w/ s2k retro, he did it with these lights.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by e46civic
The blue plug is a diode, it lets the high beam stay on with the low beam. These are the EASIEST lights to do a retro on for our cars.
Are they? I thought space was really tight inside there.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

U guys rock for the info..!! Thought this post was dying fast lol...

So by simply just wiring the 2 positives to power, 2 neg's to ground, and plugging the lights in, I should be able to use high/low at the same time..?? <~~~ did i type that correctly..??

The blue plug has some sort of cap already on there as u can see, so i assume that stays as is... Hope i understand correctly..

Also, i'm not a huge fan of those hella blue HID's but the white with a blue tint does look pretty sick... my mom better start parkin her E55 in the garage before she wakes up with no headlights lmao... "j/k i love u mom" hahaha..
Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, would a simple plug n play HID kit make a difference or not..?? or is retro'ing the way to go..??
Old 02-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I definately think these are the easiest. Ive had Sc430s, Fxs, and LR3s in the same housing using the same bracket. Just cut off some of the lens holder and turn the front half of the projector into a mounting bracket. It is kinda tight but works great. Mine are 2nd gen Denjis though so I get a 9005 high beam added to the bi-xenon, the one in the picture are H1 or H3 I cant remember. Try to find that post I was talking about, he took alot of pics.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i kno, i remember seein a TSX retro step by step with pics but i cant find that either... i wish i could, cuz that **** looks basic... i have my stock eg headlights still too, im thinkin bout retro'n those as well an possibly sellin'm or just have 2 sets..
Old 02-12-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by e46civic
The blue plug is a diode, it lets the high beam stay on with the low beam. These are the EASIEST lights to do a retro on for our cars. Almost any low beam can fit and a few bi-xenons as well. Search Hidplanet for civic w/ s2k retro, he did it with these lights.
^^^
works flawlessly with the HIDs. i just dropped in a set of H3 replacement bulbs. with the slim ballasts you can put them right on the side of the headlight. the red wires go straight into the fusebox where the 8mm screws hold in the engine wiring harness main +12v lines.

the thing you HAVE to do is test and make spacers for the H3 HID bulbs so they focus properly. the spacers i ended up with are 0.08" thick. i used ABS sheet to test and machining some aluminum or phenolic(from PCB) ones this week. i got excellent light output and decent cutoff(marred only by reflections from the chrome surround i believe, i'll be painting them black) I'll get some pics later.
light output with the H3s was horrible, even with 100w bulbs. 35w HIDs spaced out are great! the 100w H3s are probably why the denjis crack as well.

FWIW, i have about equal light output to a stock STi projector and i have FX35 projectors in some s14 headlights that are about the same as well. the stock denji projectors arent' bad! i do have 2 extra yellow tinted lens denjis though, which have the same but yellowed light output. coated lens or something.

and yeah, 5000k max.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt even consider a kit when these are this easy to retro. Bi-xenon projectors or any of the high quality low beams win any day in my book.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd just hate to have low beams, brighter than my high beams lol... should i consider a bi-xenon kit than..??
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and how come nobody just throws HID's into the stock Denji projector..?? does it come out ****..?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 PM

^ yes and the spread is not as nice
Old 02-14-2009, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by carbotron
^^^
works flawlessly with the HIDs. i just dropped in a set of H3 replacement bulbs. with the slim ballasts you can put them right on the side of the headlight. the red wires go straight into the fusebox where the 8mm screws hold in the engine wiring harness main +12v lines.

the thing you HAVE to do is test and make spacers for the H3 HID bulbs so they focus properly. the spacers i ended up with are 0.08" thick. i used ABS sheet to test and machining some aluminum or phenolic(from PCB) ones this week. i got excellent light output and decent cutoff(marred only by reflections from the chrome surround i believe, i'll be painting them black) I'll get some pics later.
light output with the H3s was horrible, even with 100w bulbs. 35w HIDs spaced out are great! the 100w H3s are probably why the denjis crack as well.

FWIW, i have about equal light output to a stock STi projector and i have FX35 projectors in some s14 headlights that are about the same as well. the stock denji projectors arent' bad! i do have 2 extra yellow tinted lens denjis though, which have the same but yellowed light output. coated lens or something.

and yeah, 5000k max.
Post pics of the CUTOFF beam pattern against a wall from about 25 feet away. I have a hard time believing those H3 projectors are worth a damn for anything more than fog lights.

Originally Posted by JDM_SOHC
i'd just hate to have low beams, brighter than my high beams lol... should i consider a bi-xenon kit than..??
It's not about being brighter, it's about putting light up and out where the low beams don't shine. I have bi-xenon projectors AND stock high beams, but I can see the light color difference, and I'm sure I would see just fine on back roads without the bi-xenon and only the stock high beams. Actually I'm planning to switch to TSX projectors so I won't have the bi-xenon anymore.

Quick Reply: How to wire up Denjis on EG..??