Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

de-rice me please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default de-rice me please!

I've done some quick browsing trying to find what EXACTLY I'll need to convert my headlights from super illegal, newfound RICER Hid's to a TRUE hid-retro.

Quick story.

Last weekend I brought the car out to show some of my friends my new engine set up.
While out on our "main drag" I noticed LITERALLY 30 S.O.B.'s in trucks with "ebay hid kits"
I want NOTHING on my car except my turbo to resemble these a$$ holes!

If someone could simply give me a quick rundown on what I need to TRUELY convert my car to an authentic retro, with TRUE hid's. That would be wonderful and EXTREMELY appreciated. I know I know..SEARCH. Just looking for some quick info and I'll research what color and so forth I want to go with. I hope you guys can empithise with me, and help me over to the dark side of retro
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: de-rice me please!

edit. Answer my own question about weither I could reuse my ballasts.
New question is...Should I? Or shoud I just do the complete conversion at once.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 PM

I don't really think it matters all that much, personally I'm using the ballasts I already have to save some money..
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are all ballast the same then? or should I just rip the whole kit off and sell it to some d-bag in town?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aftermarket ballast if working will work just as well as OE's, hell the aftermarket ballasts I have handle non standard bulbs better than my Hella gen 3's...

I'd suggest heading over to HIDPlanet, goto their forums (can't link anymore since you have to register), register, hit the University section and read till you go blind... This is the best site for the information you seek, there is plenty of "my retro build" posts and soforth.

Basically you'll need OE HID projectors (Bi-xenons if you have one bulb for high/low, or just xenons for lows only), bulbs to match (I'd suggest projectors using D2S bulbs since you can get an adaptor off ebay to take your aftermarket ballast and connect to the base of the D2S/R bulbs), I'd say a spare set of headlights so you dont' have to risk breaking your current ones and work on building your retrofit.