Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

EJ2 from the Dirty South

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ2 from the Dirty South

Hello everyone,

My name is Cody, I'm the lead technician of a respectable automotive shop in South Carolina. I've had lots of built Blue Oval trucks & cars over the past years, but I've always wanted to get into the Honda game. So here I am with my first one, and what better time than when I have a 20,000 sq-ft shop and $20,000 in tools at my fingertips.

Keep in mind not only was this a deal, it was still in untouched factory condition.

I picked this EJ2 up for $1,100 in Atlanta, GA. (Over 4 hours away from me) after the search of the cleanest coupe/hatchback for the money over the span of 2 months.

The EJ2 on a 2 post lift, connected to the RobinAir machine to recover all refrigerant and vacuum the system down. Deleted the A/C & Power steering after this photo.

Had a few pin holes in some of the coolant hoses. Lasted 22 years at least. So I replaced them ALL with brand new Gates hoses. (One hose is missing from the picture... Electronic Air Control Valve Outlet, had to pick it up the next day after I discovered it.)

Replaced Timing belt, Tensioner, and Water Pump with a Beck/Arnley kit, and a new Carquest Radiator. Overnighted OE Honda Timing covers to the shop as well. After the cooling system was COMPLETELY replaced and bled. Did the timing belt kit, and new OE Honda Timing covers the car is running like a top.

Needs a few cosmetic things. (Windshield trim, passenger door trim, and paint.) Albeit, I'm looking to square away suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, seats, and 5 point harnesses before I go back into the engine bay or touch the exterior. I'm thinking a built B20 for this potential track car. What's your input?
" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />

Did I mention this car had one of the straightest chassis/unibody I've ever seen from a car this old?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EJ2 from the Dirty South

Bought a B20Z2 for this car yesterday. A friend and I purchased a 2000 Honda CR-V SE (auto) from a customer that had a timing belt jump time. 130,000 original miles. My friend purchased the shell, and I paid for everything in the engine bay. All of the previous services was done at our shop. Albeit, they never sprung for the timing belt kit service. Will post some more photos soon!

Mods can move this thread to a "build" or specific civic section if need be at this point.