Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

Ej1 no start when raining

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Ej1 no start when raining

hey guys so I'm new to Honda tech and I've been encountering some problems on my home stock d16z6. So when it's raining and I go to turn it on it just cranks and cranks but no start. ONLY WHEN IT RAINS! but if I leave the ignition on for a few minutes Fuel pump will kick on and CEL will turn off and then it'll start. Any ideas to what it might be? I was thinking the fuel pump but other people have mentioned it's the grounds. What do u guys think?
Thanks 🙏
Old 02-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ej1 no start when raining

Does the fuel pump not cut on when you first turn the key on? Have your tried checking for spark or fuel when its doing this before you leave the key on? Need a little more info on what you have tried or done prior to posting.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When it's raining no CEL will be on after a few minutes of leaving the ignition on the ON position it'll eventually kick on and CEL will turn off. I have no spark when it's at this state. Also tried checking the code will CEL is on but it will give me nothing
Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only time I had any symptoms similar was when my distributor cap was cracked and moisture had gotten to my coil and was causing it to short.. it would act intermediate and go out but only when it rained..
Old 02-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same exact problem, fuel pump would not come on after rain or humid cold days crank only no start. i made sure all my fuses weren't blown, specifically fuse#18 and #24 under the dash and fuse #31 under the hood. made sure the main relay was working with a test light/volt meter (nice snap-on tool), jumped the main relay and listened to the pump go on, opened the ecm and found moisture and a burnt diode. replaced the ecm and it fired right up. problem never came back. wiring diagrams for everything are available online or on here. good luck man! its a great learning experience with electrical diag.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rumbaworks
I had the same exact problem, fuel pump would not come on after rain or humid cold days crank only no start. i made sure all my fuses weren't blown, specifically fuse#18 and #24 under the dash and fuse #31 under the hood. made sure the main relay was working with a test light/volt meter (nice snap-on tool), jumped the main relay and listened to the pump go on, opened the ecm and found moisture and a burnt diode. replaced the ecm and it fired right up. problem never came back. wiring diagrams for everything are available online or on here. good luck man! its a great learning experience with electrical diag.
NO WAY ! im gonna check that tomorrow i live in california so it doesnt rain much but it has been lately thats when it started doing it, i guess i can wait it out as i have a complete different swap going in it by this coming month
Old 03-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Monstrositybl;51215384]NO WAY ! im gonna check that tomorrow i live in california so it doesnt rain much but it has been lately thats when it started doing it, i guess i can wait it out as i have a complete different swap going in it by this coming month [/QUOTE
I live in Fullerton SoCal also, mine didn't take a **** until the rain last month too.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Moisture getting in distributer
Old 03-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dwellz80
Moisture getting in distributer
at first i thought for sure it was gonna be the distributor cus it completly lost spark random as hell i stalled out and from there it didnt want to start anymore until the next day i took the cap and rotor off and sure enough the wires that connect to the icm were all corroded and britle so i replaced it and next time we got rain it started doing it again. thats where i was kinda lost like what else could it be
Old 03-07-2017, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From fullerton CA as well just picked up a 94 civic coupe. Had a bad starter from the get go. Except the battery was old too. I bought a new battery only to find out starter was stuck. Would not budge:. This was all after I figured out that my clutch engagement switch (that little plastic pos) was broken. Funny how small things prevent giant things from working
Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You know you have a bad main relay right
Old 03-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SolAssassin
You know you have a bad main relay right
I do? I replaced the starter tonight and it started up fine. My damn speedo is bouncing now and I'm hoping it's just a fuse