Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPS grounding issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS grounding issue

Ive been having issues with my 1989 civic si hatch with a b18a1 giving me cold start issues, ive pin pointed the issue but not sure 100% on if i can do a temp fix until i can get the parts needed to fix it. Ive been throwing a TPS, ECT and IAT sensor codes when it has issues starting. This started back near the end of september, after buying a house and getting my new garage organized i start tackling this issue once and for all. I started on the TPS since i thought it would cause the most issues. When i tested it everything was good except the grounding wasnt solid. Sometimes it read <1ohm then sometimes it read 17+ ohms. After messing with the D22 pin which grounds all three i noticed if it was in a certain position it would connect and fire up 1st try, other times when it wasnt it would take quiet a few cranks to get it to start and bog out if u touched the gas pedal any. Is it possible to run a temp ground from that pin (splicing into it so the ecu also has it ground to it) to the chassis until i can get more pins to redo the plug? i asked on the EF but figured it might be better on a hybrid type forum. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:30 AM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

Default Re: TPS grounding issue

You're not testing the TPS in the best way, I don't think.

Get you multimeter out. Turn your key to the "On I" position (the position before it cranks)

Back probe the red wire at the TPS sensor connector with your positive probe and touch your negative probe to any grounding point on your car within reach.

With the throttle closed you should be reading .5 volts. If not, you will need to grind/cut off the heads of the rivets that hold on the TPS, screw new bolts in firmly just enough to hold it, and adjust the sensor until it reads .5 volts. Tighten it down. Recheck to make sure you have the same voltage of .5

Next, slowly open your TB with your hand while watching the voltage climb. the volts should go up slowly in sync with your opening the TB, and not be jumpy. Ending voltage at WOT should be at 4.3-4.5 volts

If you absolutely cannot get any voltage even close to .5 with the throttle closed, or if the voltage is real jumpy even though you are slowly opening the TB, you need a new TPS

EDIT: I believe the red wire is the power wire for all Honda TPS, but you may want to check your manual for your specific motor
Old 01-31-2015, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TPS grounding issue

Sorry i should have added this in the post to clarify. When the TPS was grounding i tested the Voltage for closed and open. I got (if i remember correctly) ~.4 closed and 4.4 open. So the TPS is having issues grounding. I can move aroudn the wires on the ecu and when d22 is moved (the ground for those sensors) i get a CEL for all 3.

Not trying to be a dick since youre the only one to reply but in the original post i stated:
When i tested it everything was good except the grounding wasnt solid.
Meaning i did test for constant .5v and open/closed volts, but only got the correct readings when the ground was under 1ohm.

EDIT: Oh just incase, when i did test the tps there was no spiking in the voltage when slowly opening/closing by hand and when slowly open/closing and lightly tapping on it with the back of a screwdriver.