Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body compatibility

Old 02-09-2004, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body compatibility

i recently replaced my stock b16 throttle body for a jg edelbrock one. all is well until i get it and realize i got a gs-r throttle body(which the linkage for is upside down). no problem though, i fixed that by turning the linkage upside down. however now that i got it in, it sticks at whatever rpm i let my foot off at! i have to stomp on the gas and let it off between gears, at stop lights,etc... on top of that, it only does it with the car running!! does anyone know what could be holding this thing open? moreover i think i should just get another throttle body, but i want to be sure i get the right one. i think a del sol si, itr, or 99si civic 62 mm or something might work, will somebody that has had a successful throttle body tell me what they used?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: throttle body compatibility (wesleysuhler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesleysuhler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i recently replaced my stock b16 throttle body for a jg edelbrock one. all is well until i get it and realize i got a gs-r throttle body(which the linkage for is upside down). no problem though, i fixed that by turning the linkage upside down. however now that i got it in, it sticks at whatever rpm i let my foot off at! i have to stomp on the gas and let it off between gears, at stop lights,etc... on top of that, it only does it with the car running!! does anyone know what could be holding this thing open? moreover i think i should just get another throttle body, but i want to be sure i get the right one. i think a del sol si, itr, or 99si civic 62 mm or something might work, will somebody that has had a successful throttle body tell me what they used? </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, it sounds like like your problem maybe either of 2 things.

1) your throttle cable isn't adjusted correctly, sounds like its not loose enough to fully close the throttle plate/butterfly. You'll have to loosen the cable up some/give it some slack, so the butterfly can fully close, then it shouldn't stick anymore. I highly think this is the problem though.

or

2) maybe the throttle pully stopper needs to be adjusted. If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at the area where the throttle pulley is. The pulley stops on a black threaded nut-type thingamajig. You'll wanna adjust this with an Allen tool. You'll have to take your throttlebody off to adjust this stopper bolt tho. Adjust it a little bit (raising it), testing it out each time on your car, turning your car on and seein where it idles at after you blip the throttle. Although, I don't think this is your problem, I believe #1.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: throttle body compatibility (Katman)

i appreciate your input, katman. if only you could see this though, you would see that it my throttle cable is set just right, and that the pulley stop is just set high enough to touch the pulley at the lowest possible throttle position. dude, i promise you, i switched it out with a stock one twice and the only thing i can think might be happening is that there is some flaw in the bushings or the spring that came with it is not strong enough to counter the headloss across the valve, basically the vacuum on the downstream side of the butterfly is holding it open. in any which case, i've put the stock throttle body back on and it drives quite nicely now, and i'm planning to sell the edelbrock one. again, your advice is completely sound and i appreciate anyone who would lend a hand to a brotha' in need, but i'll let someone else trifle with this one.

W.E.S.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2004, 02:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It probally just is not broken in yet. I have 2 friends with aftermarket tb's 1= jg 2=str
I have driven both of there cars and had the same problem. The spring is just so damn tight. You have to pretty much stomp the pedal to give the car some gas. Hope this helps a little